• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Drinking & Riding

Is it okay to drink and ride?

• I refuse to drink and ride :mad

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • It's OK to have a beer or two (very moderate drinking) :dunno

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I like to party like its 1999! :beer

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Never

I wait until I am done with the ride. It's just plan stupid. Sort of like Howard Dean thinking he could ever win the democratic nomination. Plain Stupid.

Re: Never

gsgirl said:
I wait until I am done with the ride. It's just plan stupid. Sort of like Howard Dean thinking he could ever win the democratic nomination. Plain Stupid.

When push came to shove, Dean went over like a fart in church. :D :fart

:bliss

Not that I really want to get back into this. BTW Hi Rider buddy :wave.

I am still trying to figure out how he pissed away the $41 mil. That's some serious ****. It would be interesting to find out where it all went.

The guy was an idiot, I recognized it from day one - no depth to him at all. What scares me is that he took it as far as he did.

So Rider, what is the next subject we will be finding ourselves agreeing upon?

Pretty scary - both have black GS's, both hate Howard Dean. Uncanny!

I agree with Rad - there is nothing like a beer after a long day of riding! I'm scared to drink and ride - I feel a bit buzzed after just one beer. Heck, have to limit my N/A beer drinking if I'm riding because they have a small amount of alcohol.

Confession time though, once at a club function I did have half a glass of some creamy dark lager just because it was something that I hadn't tried before.

Can't wait to have a loooooong ride and then a cold one,
BG

It was 50 and sunny here today, but I am too dang sick to ride :cry I can barely get my leg over the saddle and make whining noises as I look out the garage door.

I agree with you all. The beer will have to wait until the end of the ride.

Hey Boxergrrrlie, it's nice and warm here now- come on down for a good ride and I know plenty of places with good cold tasty refreshing BEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR for afterward!

:beer

Two comments...or maybe three.

A. I don't drink. Period. Because I used to -- a lot.

B. The last time I drank lunch was 1979, and I destroyed a
perfectly good Kawasaki 650 by taking into a curb because I couldn't think fast enough.

C. A friend invited me on a Poker Run last year. Not to make a blanket judgement, but it was mainly HD riders. In eight hours, riding with my friend, we had traveled 90-miles and visited seven taverns. And, it wasn't over!
One fellow said that his club liked riding in that county, because you could drink and drive there, and the police didn't care.
Case in point: my friend is a cop.

Mac

Drink and Drive?

I've paid the price with four wheels and do not care to pay the price with two...

Life is too short...

There is nothing better than a drink after a ride, though...period.

Here in the Myrtle Beach area we have two HD "bike weeks". The consumption of Beer seems to be done in "mass quantities" I am always astonished that the death toll is somewhere around only five or six or so.

When I go for a local jaunt on a weekend or evening during normal (non bike week times) I am amazed at the number of bikes I see parked at the saloons. I can only wonder at the alcohol consumption that this must in some way represent.

I also wonder why the operators of these machines would prefer a bar stool in a smokey tavern to riding their machine.

I get such great enjoyment out of riding my motorcycle that I am surprised that it is not illegal.

One drink = One 5 oz glass of wine, 12 oz beer, shot of liquor or mixed drink.

The average person with a full stomach generally takes 3 drinks in the first hour to get up to a BAC of 0.10 % then one drink each hour after that to stay there.

That said if your smaller, larger, empty stomach, etc you might be different. Also, some people hold their liquor better than others.

Now for my experience - I was once at a rally in Canada and was staying at a B&B 1/4 mile down the road. I had never drank and rode before. On the last night there I was drinking beer. I don't know how many I had, cause I wasn't counting but if I had to guess I'd say maybe 6 over 4 or 5 hours. I know I should have walked but felt fine to ride. Except when I started riding down that gravel road in 2nd gear I knew I was in over my head. I made it there but will never drink and ride again.

MarkF

fish said:
503520-M-1.jpg

I wish I could go to rallies and see ladies like this NOT with some other rider! Don't single girls go to rallies?

MarkF

boxergrrlie said:
Ahem.......:stick
Some of us ride BMWs.:wave

My bad. My bad.

And a quite nice BMW at that.....

starts groveling and kneeling toward Milwaukee...

KBasa said:
starts groveling and kneeling toward Milwaukee...
Duly noted. I will condescend to let you buy me a beer at the National. After I'm done riding for the day, of course!

Won't work.

The Poll, that is.

Here's the way I see it:

Who is going to write in and say, "I love to slug 'em down and then ride in all three lanes of a two lane road"?

You guys have responded appropriately and, I'm sure, honestly. It's the folks that don't write in that are coming across the double yellow.

Hopefully, our clan has a lower ride-drive/drink equation than the norm. Hopefully motorcycle enthuisasts *as a whole* have the same lower rates of drinking/riding.

I'm an alkie, so I don't drink. 1981. And booze wasn't my first choice of chemical flogging. However, I have nothing against slurping 'em down. For people that want to party and walk, that is. And for folks that don't **** up their whole familiy's lives over the juice (or whatever). Oh, and not for *me*. 8^)

Hell, I've been a designated driver for 23 years.

Back