• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many have even BEEN to WYO.?;

Welcome!
Somebody else called camping at the Nat'l, "sleeping in a tent."
I call it "trying to sleep in a tent.":laugh
It'll be great. If you don't want to pack, reserve one thru Sherpa service.

Black Hills

I live in NE Wyoming in the Black Hills. We have Mt. Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Needles Hwy, Iron Mt. Rd. and near by Bad Lands National Park just to name a few. Gillette is about 80 miles west of the Black Hills. I will outline day rides for anyone who is interested. I offer to lead a ride if asked. Rick

riding in Wyo

we road western Wyo last year (yellowstone the grand tetons,jackson hole etc)looking forward the the eastern part of the state:dance

Wyoming- Where The Road Ends And The West Begins

ahhh, fond memories of Wyoming...where the men are men, the women are men and the sheep know it! one for the Casper boys and the Star Bar!:drink

Gillette (from Google):

You would happen upon a picture of the very north-western most corner of Gillette looking off to the grasslands leading out to the coal mines...If the Photographer had turned 90 degrees to his/her right you would have seen the town that stretches out for about ten miles to the Cam-plex going east and about as far going south.

I always hated that end of town, has the most tornadoes too.

Riding in WY

I have been to WY a total of four times now, two full summers working there and just riding thru on my way to OR from Charlotte ( back when I lived/worked there ...).

I plan on working in Cody again this summer and hope to drive my "ultimate Beemer Toy box there. It will be interesting to be at a National and not sleeping on the ground.

BTW - Chief Joseph Hwy, Beartooth, and Shell Canyon are MUST-Do rides. Yellowstone is also great IF you don't get stuck behind 'tourists'. Seems like mid-week there are less of them around?

-Beemer

Hi Beemer!

:dance I'll be headed to Wyoming for the Rally, and excited to be going. Those dissin the site ain't gona diswade me! I came thru Wyoming coming back from the Redmond rally and really had a good time going thru. I'll definatly soak in the hot springs around Thermopolis again this summer.
Now the Lima Ohio rally, THAT was a bummer area, but I went and still had a great time, even tho it was un-goddly HOT, and the roads for miles were arrow straight..:dunno ....See y'all in Gillette! :drink

I lived in Gillette from 1984 to 1987, and rode a motorcycle all over the state. I have been back several times since, and am looking forward to getting back for the rally.

See you there! :thumb

I'm an out west rider and make CA home for a long time now, from VA. originally. WYO. is such a sparsely populated state at around 500000 folks in a huge state of nearly unmatched beauty anywhere.

Interesting. I knew there were few people in Wyoming, but my off the cuff guess was 800,000. You are a lot closer, seems the official number is about 525,000 or thereabouts.

This is roughly the size of the greater Harrisburg, PA, area, or greater Wichita, KS area as far as population goes. Wow. Not many people. My parents live close to Harrisburg, and I've been to Wichita. Spreading this population out over an entire state means the density is darn low. I'd guess a large part of the people are concentrated in Laramie, Cheyenne, and Casper. For additional comparison, the city of Denver within the city limits is about 560k, although the metro area is about 2.5 mil, so in reality the actual Denver area has a lot more folks living around there.

I drove my VW pickup across Wyoming once traveling from Portland, OR to Kansas City. I thought it was beautiful. I started to get excited about a rally being "close" ( ha ha ) to me in Kansas City until I realized that although Wyoming does not seem psychologically far from here, it is about 900 miles give or take from my place to Gillette. Don't know why I thought Wyoming was closer to me. Probably don't have the time off to attend at this distance, but I think the location is fine in general. Sounds like a good place to ride--not many people means not many cars or semis!

I started to get excited about a rally being "close" ( ha ha ) to me in Kansas City until I realized that although Wyoming does not seem psychologically far from here, it is about 900 miles give or take from my place to Gillette. Don't know why I thought Wyoming was closer to me.

Answer: The West is a BIG place! If I remember correctly, Campbell County Wyoming (where Gillette is) is roughly the same size as the entire State of Connecticut. :eek

Back