• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many have even BEEN to WYO.?;

Polarbear

Polarbear
I'm an out west rider and make CA home for a long time now, from VA. originally. WYO. is such a sparsely populated state at around 500000 folks in a huge state of nearly unmatched beauty anywhere. I have ridden its boundries so many times over the years and its never been boring and brings smiles and miles endlessly! I just wonder how many 'MOA folks have actually ridden within its expanses of the Rockies and Plains of WYO..? I know the West BMW Rallies have never had the numbers of Eastern Rallies(Nationals), but so what! Wyoming should draw large numbers and even hit the mark and beyond those past Nationals, I figure. Why not. Set your sights high for this one too, as WYO. will offer the best this USA has to give, I'm sure. One thing you won't have any trouble spotting are HD riders headed to Sturgis, as their bash is early August every year. Think of the fun you'll have going east from Gillette and blowing off all those HD's, although it will take a lot of speed as the HD's I've encountered are not wasting any time either:). Anyways, come west all you wannabe away from the hussle of the east and enjoy our expanses out here along the greatest mountains of North America. The Rockies are calling and at Gillette, you're just knocking at the door! Make WYO one of our best, too as Wisconsin surely was:):thumb :usa :wave :wow

I live in Rhode Island.

I have ridden in Wyoming and I loved it.

I am looking forward to riding in Wyoming again next summer.

Getting ready

So, Where are you and Rob off to?:dunno :wave

Mike R.:wow

Polar Bear:

I've been there several times. Motorcyle camping in the Snowy Range x3, visiting Devil's Tower. Riding 14A over the Big Horn range east to west in a thunderstorm. ( IIRC 8,000 elevation decrease in 13 miles) Trying to ride over Bear Tooth pass from Red Lodge MT and having to turn around because of a white out.

In '08 I'm planning on arriving in Gillette via lower WY, UT and ID. Sort of the long way around. I want another crack at Bear Tooth Pass and 14A from west to east. Hopefully without the white out and thunderstorm. Oh, and the first day out will be a Saddle Sore ending in Idaho Falls, ID.

I've gotta stop, I'm driving myself nuts!

I went on a Rider Rally to Cody Wyoming back in, I think, 1993, and I've never forgotten how gorgeous Wyoming was (is!) The Bighorn mountains, which will be just west of Gillette, are beautiful. It should be no problem at all for many of us to do a loop through the east gate of Yellowstone and then back out the Northeast gate, up and over the Beartooth pass down to Red Lodge. A nice long day ride, but you'll never forget it.

I've never seen the Badlands or Devil's Tower so I'm really looking forward to being there!

Wyoming

I ride in Wyoming just about every day--weather permitting. :D It is an amazing state in which to ride. It is wide open and constantly changing. You never know what you will find. There is beauty around every corner, be it mountain pass or open plain. Ride on! (Picture taken yesterday in Snowy Range, temp was 64 degrees, and, yes, that is snow.)

Attachments

• Snowy 2.jpg
    Snowy 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,058
Wyoming

I just got back from Yellowstone. Rode from Kemmerling, Colo. across Wyoming to the park. I think it was state route 125 to Wyoming state route 230 to 130. We were on I-80 a few miles then took 287 at Rawlins all the way to Dubois where we spent the night in a KOA. To me that ride was wonderful. Parts were windy and it was hot, but so what. The roads were great, traffic was light and we hauled ass. We saw one state trooper on I-80 near Rawlins and he smiled at us and gave a friendly wave. Dubois was a nice little town and we had a great dinner at the Cowboy Cafe. Found a nice coffee shop in Lander for our afternoon break. We got caught in a rain storm so I stopped on the main street in front of the local paper. I was covering my sheepskin seat cover and the ladies in the paper invited me in out of the rain and pointed me to the coffee/bookstore. The next day we rode on into Yellowstone. There were some rough spots where the pavement was gone for several miles and rain had softened up the road, but we ran into construction in every state we were in. Going from Espanola to Taos NM we had to ride about 14 miles of gravel over pieces of pavement! After two great days in Yellowstone (camping) including watching an unoccupied car get crushed by a tree in a violent thunderstorm at old faithful, we rode to Cook City and then the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody. We stayed at the KOA in Cody and spent most of the next day at the Buffalo Bill Museum. Had Great Dinners at the Buffalo Bill Irma hotel. Bison steaks! The ride from Cooke City to Cody was in a Thunderstorm and it was a bit exciting. Didn't get to much time to enjoy the Beartooth's but they are beautiful. IMHO anybody who can't enjoy the riding in Wyoming needs to sell their bike and retire from riding.

Pictures here http://cheese.freshmintdesign.com/v...php?set_albumname=Richards-cross-country-ride Click on Richards cross country ride.

Last edited:
I rode to the Black Hills in July before West Bend. While there I touched Wyoming from the Devils Tower down to Four Corners and Newcastle before heading back to the Hills. I only had a day for local riding. I am looking forward to being able to see the rest of the state. What I saw was wild and open.

The East is great if you don't mind traffic. The Mid & Northwest cleans out your soul with fresh air and sunshine.

I found that with all the "pirates" riding in the area in their tshirts and bandanas the state patrol generally gave those in full gear some breaks when it came to speed. Twice I had troopers just give me the downward pointing finger instead the roadside lecture and written souvenir. There is something to be said for ATGATT even if you never need it.

My route next year will be from the prairies north to Jasper National Park and then down the Rockies to Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, Salt Lake and Colorado before turning back up to Gillette. After the rally it is southeast to St. Louis and up the Mississippi to the Red River and home.

I've ridden Wyoming three times in the last 14 months. There are some great roads with terrific scenery. I've stayed in Cody twice (try the buffalo ribeye at the Rib and Chop House), and Jackson Hole once. I've ridden through Gillette each time, but never had any urge to spend any time there. Devil's Tower is interesting, as is Yellowstone (go early to avoid the RV crowd. Try the Chief Joseph Hwy from Cody into the Northeast entrance, which brings you into Montana briefly). After Yellowstone continue south into Tetons NP.

Wyde Open Spaces

When there are fewer people living in an entire state than there are in say, Denver, traffic is generally not much of an issue...

100mph-small.JPG

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5307417221540232955&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

I have

Was just there two weeks ago. Stayed at Cody and did day rides.

Chief Joseph and Beartooth are great!:thumb

The fire tower on Beartooth was well worth the small amount of well packed/gravel road one had to ride to get to the top.

If you can't find a good ride in Wyoming, park your bike.

Here is a bridge you will cross

1187549731.jpg

And a pretty lake below the fire tower.

1187549846.jpg

Hope to see you there next year!

I've been there a couple of times with the bike, all the more reason to ride out next summer.

Motard

Wyoming is GREAT! :clap
I have ridden throughout Wyoming several times. I have nothing but great experiences. The people of Wyoming are very friendly and have a lot of common sense.

PC

Ai..yi..yi! North east Wyoming is a suk hole of an area where not even the sage brush is healthy. It is one big environmental disaster area what with gas wells and poluted water in abundance. Yellowstone is wall to wall at least until labor day. The Big Horn Mountains are nice but that is about all that's nice:banghead
Gve me a break! Why would anybody ever in this lifetime want to go to Gillette of all places on this planet:banghead
Nobody lives in Wyoming for good reasons:banghead

Yeah, the riding sucks in Wyoming.

158728564-L.jpg

:wave

Back