Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Any news of a F800 GS?

They knew!

TT knew.

"Real surprise, ehh?"

I told myself that I was going to take some vacation time in '08 and put the miles on the RT and Ural. Go to places that I have wanted to go to for a long time and do nothing but play tourist for a few weeks. To this end I cut corners and did without and paid off a few bills early.

All to no avail.

Tuesday the F800GS is announced. The next day my name is put on one and I should get my hands on it in July.

Yellow/Black, 95% +/- of the accessories. Don't know the final $$$ and don't care, I just want one!
    Cat Televangelist; "and Morris brought down from the sofa the 10 entitlements!"

Helen's #2 on the wait list in Austin( a young fellow on another F650 walked in two minutes ahead of her and got on the list first )
    The F650 will be upgraded to this twin...told us March-April...expect June! The 650 does all well, this just looks like it will be a little more zippier,and keep up with the 1200 a tad better.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming

F800GS R1200GS Comparo

Based on available data from the announcements, I whipped up a bit of a comparo on these two GS offerings. Someone, somewhere had asked, why buy an F800GS when you can buy an R1200GS. Well, for one thing, there is over $4000 in difference, based only on the MSRP I've found on web sites (no accessories, charges, etc.). You may have different info, so accept apologies for any mistakes.

Attached is the spreadsheet, MS Word .doc format

--Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

2002 R1150GS
    MOA #104910, Twisted Shaft Motorcycle Club #241

Quote Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
    Based on available data from the announcements, I whipped up a bit of a comparo on these two GS offerings. Someone, somewhere had asked, why buy an F800GS when you can buy an R1200GS. Well, for one thing, there is over $4000 in difference, based only on the MSRP I've found on web sites (no accessories, charges, etc.). You may have different info, so accept apologies for any mistakes.

Attached is the spreadsheet, MS Word .doc format

--Doug
    Very nice, job, Doug. But, there is one piece of info missing, though: the weight of the R1200GS. I believe it is 225 kg so 85/178 vs 105/225 is a 0.4775 vs 0.4666 power to weight ratio, and, 65 lbs torque over 178 and 77 over 225 is a 0.365 vs 0.342 torque to weight ratio, both in favor of the F800S, no?
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

In reading the specs ,noticed the engine cylinder angle will be different from the S an ST. and a larger clutch cover housing. That seems odd for the same series to me, but there seems to be a reason regarding clearances.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

What I heard late this afternoon from a not-to-be-named "insider" is BMWNA asked for the delay so the remaining stock of the F650s could be sold off in the weak (dare I say the "R" word, as in recession). Which I also heard is why Monday Warner Bros. ditched the HD DVD format in favor of Blu-Ray discs after its contract expired May 1, 2008 at the CES Show in LV. I head to the Show tomorrow for my 20th year.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

adsinger

I sent you a PM.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Tweety1, I've heard also about the need to dump the leftover F650's but I'm not so sure. If that was the case would they not still sell the F800 worldwide? It seems there will be no F800GS anywhere. I'm wondering if, similar to the K-bike debacle, they have found a fatal flaw to correct?

Ultracyclist, saw you sent me a PM, but I didn't get it. Sorry,.email to:
    adsinger@aol.com

alan

adsinger

email on the way.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by adsinger View Post
    Tweety1, I've heard also about the need to dump the leftover F650's but I'm not so sure. If that was the case would they not still sell the F800 worldwide? It seems there will be no F800GS anywhere. I'm wondering if, similar to the K-bike debacle, they have found a fatal flaw to correct?

Ultracyclist, saw you sent me a PM, but I didn't get it. Sorry,.email to:
    adsinger@aol.com

alan
    I did not hear about a fatal flaw, but the need to dump the F650s is largest here, so we get the last F800GS after EU, SA, and maybe AU. They all have stronger currency right now, some MUCH stronger.

PS, remember this when you vote November 2008! This is another one of those "it's the economy, stupid" election years.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

PS, remember this when you vote November 2008! This is another one of those "it's the economy, stupid" election years.[/QUOTE]

IMHO - The president, whoever is elected will have little or no effect on the economy.

Len

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

No F800GS For You!

Here is an alternative suggestion other than
    Bitch
    Moan &
    Whine
    here which will not get you a bowl or soup or an F800GS

The Customers Communication number at BMW is:
    1-800-831-1117

Better yet send a letter to:

Corporate Communication
    BMW Motorrad USA
    PO Box 1227
    Westwood, NJ 07675

But, complaining here will not get us any soup or motorcycles.

And politeness will go much further. If someone comes up with a nice draft letter to share why not post it here for others us to copy and paste?
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 01-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

RIDERR1150GSADV
    I forsee KLR's rolling off showroom floors in droves...

buzzez
    Well, so much for that 'Un-stoppable' campaign.