• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pics of F800ST back side PLEASE!

P

PegsBlueBeem

Does anyone besides me have issue with the BIG mud flap on the F800ST? It just seems way overdone in my view. Will the rain really splash that bad and if so aren't most of us wearing enough gear anyway?

My boyfriend rides a Ducati 800 Desmodue that I've posted with my F800ST and it only reinforces how hideous the mud flap looks on the ST....or at least how over done it is. :confused:

My '86 Yamaha SRX had a big tail flap like that and cutting it off made it look so much better. Has anyone cut theirs off their F800ST yet? If so post a pic please for the rest of us to see. I am so close to doing away with mine, but want to hear what others think first.....or by chance see the finished product.

Thanks!:bikes

Attachments

• rear tail comparison of F800ST & 800 Desmodue.jpg
    rear tail comparison of F800ST & 800 Desmodue.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 194
It's actually two pieces. The long portion is bolted under a shorter portion. There is one torx below the license plate bracket and two under the seat. That will leave you with a much shorter rear fender. I've seen it with the long portion removed and it looks nice.

This is also an option from Nippy Normans: http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HUG-F800-BK&variation=&aitem=27&mitem=71

It does look a little odd in the stock configuration, but I think my wife is going to leave her's alone (although she said she would mind it I cut it ;) )

182443137-M.jpg

The F800S comes without the rear fender at all. As stated it can be unbolted quite easily.

I cut mine at the line below the licence plate. It still gives protection from crud thrown up around the tail light, but loses the "billboard" look.

Attachments

• Tail cropped.jpg
    Tail cropped.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 188
Whre specifically are the fasteners?

I shall perform operation later this morning. Yes, indeed, the rear "mudguard" looks like it came from some kind of off road moto. Seriously, it is rather ugly.
Or if I don't hear from you by a reasonable hour, I may fake it. How difficult can it be, right?

Last edited:
Fasteners

You'll have to remove the licence plate and use a socket with a long extension to get at a couple of them. There is a deep recess and you can see them there. The third is the exposed screw directly below the plate.

I cut the fender on a bandsaw and finished the edge on a bench mounted belt sander. If you don't have those, you could use a hacksaw and a sanding block.

First mod

If I buy one ... distinct probability, removing that thang would be my first mod.

Would look good sitting next to my DUC too.

flap removal

I like taking that geeky stuff off. On my old airhead it was the reflector on the rear fender.

Rinty

That wasn't so difficult

Not as difficult as you might think, if you have a good long torx extension. Torx is a 25, btw, I think. I just yanked the whole fender extension, may want to put it back as it was some day so no cutting. Bike's rear end looks less like an enduro now. Thanks for the tips.

182817625-M.jpg

182817632-M.jpg

Last edited:
Flapectomy....yup that works :)

Thanks for the tips, pics, and feedback everyone.

I am definitely going to get rid of the 'geeky' excess tail flap and consider cutting a bit more too. Hate to go cutting as is good measure to sell as close to stock as possible, (or so I have always thought) but I have this feeling this bike is going to be with me for some time to come.

Love the BMW emblem touch too Flopp..... As Napoleon Dynomite would say.....'Sweet!'

:brow

Here's my wife's F800ST minus the extra rear fender flap:

185165902-M.jpg

185165901-M.jpg

185165935-M.jpg

The row of LEDs below the license plate are P3 Lights: (We also got rid of the "princess bike" license plate reflectors :p )

185166080-M.jpg

Back