• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch Adjustment ?

I

i2lguy

I have an 04 1150RT and was wondering if you can adjust where the friction zone grabs in relation to the position of the clutch handle? The reason I ask is that the lever seams to be engaging at the very end when the lever is roughly an 1/8" from its normal state.

I have an 04 1150RT and was wondering if you can adjust where the friction zone grabs in relation to the position of the clutch handle? The reason I ask is that the lever seams to be engaging at the very end when the lever is roughly an 1/8" from its normal state.

I don't think there is any way to adjust that hydraulic clutch. You can adjust the lever itself to 1 of 4 possible positions which changes the feel somewhat.

And, that engagement/disengagement near the start of the stroke is typical of the several such bikes I've ridden.

And, that engagement/disengagement near the start of the stroke is typical of the several such bikes I've ridden.

I posted about this a while back, as my GS clutch also does not seem to engage until about the last 1/5th of travel. Others have expressed similar conditions with their bikes. I have no slippage or issues under hard acceleration, so I figure I'm OK. I do have the system bled every year however, since the issue with my slave cylinder.

catch piont

yeah, i have an 04 r1150 rt & have noticed the same thing with the clutch catch piont. my 85 k100rt had a cable clutch which i adjusted to my preference, catching near the grip. Interestingly, everytime the k-bike would visit the dealers shop, the clutch would be re-adjsuted to the far end of the travel....and i would re-re-adjsut it to the near end of the tavel. with the hydraulic clutch i am at a loss as to how to adjust to my perferred catch point. i already have adjusted the levers.

Clutch travel

Interesting notes. I came on the forum tonight to search for information on the engage/disengage point of clutches. I have a '95 R1100GS, therefore cable actuated, and its engage/disengage points is very much at the end of the travel of the clutch lever. I don't detect any slippage, but I'm certain that the engage/disengage points has moved closer to the end of the clutch lever travel over the past few months. I fear some worn out clutch parts are to blame. I've had 3 different dealer/mechanics look at it and have received mixed reviews.

Interesting notes. I came on the forum tonight to search for information on the engage/disengage point of clutches. I have a '95 R1100GS, therefore cable actuated, and its engage/disengage points is very much at the end of the travel of the clutch lever. I don't detect any slippage, but I'm certain that the engage/disengage points has moved closer to the end of the clutch lever travel over the past few months. I fear some worn out clutch parts are to blame. I've had 3 different dealer/mechanics look at it and have received mixed reviews.

Do you frequently have to adjust the freeplay? I had a '94 RS and I remember how it used to eat up freeplay at the lever.

I[snip]I have a '95 R1100GS, therefore cable actuated, and its engage/disengage points is very much at the end of the travel of the clutch lever. I don't detect any slippage[snap]

The simple things: how old is the clutch cable? Is it starting to fray around the end points?

Back