• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

first ride west - tips/suggestions/cautions requested

bastian

K75RT newbie
:help
i'm a newbie rider, yet the west is calling for my 93K75RT and me to come and play - this is first trip out of the midwest - so any "look out for this" or "watch for this" and "go out of your way for this" is welcome
--- like how do you approach a ld ride --- i'll take as much details and info as you can think of

especially technical/mechanical - until i watch someone do service on her and learn how to do basic maintenance myself, she's serviced by chicago bmw -

my route will be west toward MT - a fellow rider (83 R80RT) suggested a route to Beartooth Pass - i'm not sure how far i'll get since i'm on a time line over the upcoming labor day holiday yet we'll find out

:wave

Hi,
Watch out for forest rats, aka deer. My K1100LT is badly damaged and my arm and shoulder are still healing as a result of a "deer meet". BMW dealers are not very plentiful out here. The closest one to me is 275 miles away. Watch your fuel, especially if on the "blue roads". As an example, between El Paso and Carlsbad, NM, there is a stretch of about 140 miles with no fuel. Respect thunderstorms (lightning). If in the desert Southwest, DO NOT try to ride through water running across the road unless you KNOW how deep it is, and even then, the pavement may be washed away. Bring warm gloves and electric gear, if you have it. Higher altitudes can get COLD, especially at night. And have a GREAT trip!

As far as the bike is concerned, riding from Chicago to Montana is no different than riding around the rural area outside Chicago a whole lot of times. It doesn't care.

But an extended trip does put demands on you, the rider. You should be most concerned about the common little things that might need to be replaced beside the road.

Bulbs - tail and brake light and headlight. Learn to change them. It's not hard but it is hard in the dark the first time.

Fuel filter - might clog from a dose of bad gas. Learn to change it.

Start with a fresh service on the bike, good tires with enough tread, and have fun.

Expect to ride in crosswinds and figure out how to do it. You will have crosswinds on the plains.

Establish a system to be able to drink water on the bike while you ride. I have used a tank and electric pump. My wife has a water bladder in her tank bag. I have a water bottle on the side of my tank bag and a hose to sip through. Some people use a water bladder in a pocket in their riding suit or strapped on underneath the jacket. You will need to drink and not get dehydrated.

Be attentive to the weather forecast. Be wary of forecasts for severe thunderstorms. I have gained great respect for great plains thunderstorms. I skirted one last week departing Spearfish, SD by riding west into Wyoming and then south before turning back east. The next day we saw news reports of softball sized hail (yes - softball). I once had to seek shelter under an underpass due to winds kicked up by a thunderstorm about 20 miles away. On the radio I heard 82 mph at Abiline and 102 mph at Salina - and I was half way in between the two. Be prepared to alter your route, go longer, or stop sooner to avoid summertime storm systems. If a good one hits you need to be off the road. Whether huddled by a grain bin or holed up in a motel depends on how well you track weather and plan. I've done both.

another thing...

Another thing I just thought of. You live where cell phone reception is eyeball-high. Do NOT expect cell phone coverage to be constant out west. You may have to switch to roam in order to get service and then again, there may be NO service of any variety at all! Hills and valleys can play havoc with reception, too.
Ride Safe,
Harriet Marvin
'94 K75/A/3 - *Tarzan*
Whoever said *Winning isn't everything* never had to fight Cancer!
Age doesn't always bring wisdom.
Sometimes it comes alone.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and
get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein
I'm looking for software that will make me 30 years younger, 50
pounds lighter and 2 Million bucks richer. Seen anything?

I just got back from seattle went west via I 70 and returned via I 90 on a 93 K1100RS had a fresh full tune up and new tires. Not a problem, except a hot gas tank but that is normal. Email me off line if you wanna talk Im on the north side aprarye@ameritech.net and Ill get you my Ph #

Arye

thanks for the insight - i appreciate it lots

i use a bladder for hydration - i'm still figuring out the best way to access it, at present i stuff it in my jacket pocket

I'm working on getting a tank bag - so if it doesn't come in before i leave, i'll have to fake it

RE: the head/rear light bulb change and fuel filter - is it written up someplace that you can share so I can find and read up on? and the tools needed ? at present, all i have are the tools that come with the bike and the metal oil filter cap/wrench

Alternatively I'm scheduled at Chicago BMW at the end of the month for them to look into an oil drip that showed up on my garage floor about 7-10 days after they serviced her back in May. I'll ask if they'll show me how to do the light bulb change. I went in for a spline lube and was told don't need it yet, so we did an all around fluid change, new back tire to match the front (the front has good tread and has a 2003 manufacture date), the air filter was okay

my cellphone lost its signal everynow and then up in West Bend so i don't expect anything less further away - I'm mapping fellow BMW riders from the anomynous book along the planned route as well as BMW shops

i have no clue about weather surprises or animal encounters..other than they are just that...surprise encounters

I attended Dave Hough's 'riding in crosswinds' seminar and while some of the knowledge/info "stuck" some I didn't understand - especially for terrain that's not FLAT and STRAIGHT, remember i'm a midwesterner --then again, part of the adventure is to "understand/relate"

I hope to meet up with all of you in person sometime...until then

thanks again and share more if / when you think of it -
;)

some tips

Your request might generate more responses if it were more specific......west is a big place

specifics

sorry raven, i'm still learning "etiquette" - thanks for the tip

yes i've been told its big and i've not yet seen any of it heh
except for a trip to napa/sonoma valley and vegas

the west is Beartooth Pass or as close to it as i can get
a suggested route as recommended by a fellow rider is to ride back roads i.e. county highways, etc:

Chicago to Dubuque
to Sioux City
to Valentine NE
to Lusk WY
to Casper
to Shoshoni
to Thermopolis
to Greybull
to Bridger
to Red Lodge

:type

The Black Hills are really fun to ride around in. I highly recommend that you stay at the Sylvan Lake Lodge at Custer State Park. They have little cabins that you can rent or you can stay in the lodge. The restaurant is very good and there is a nice little bar in the corner of the great hall where you'll meet intersting people if you're not shy. Sylvan Lake is beautiful and there is a nice walking path around it. If you haven't seen Devil's Tower, it is incredible!

thanks jeremell- i love it already yeehah!

Devil's Tower? That sounds familiar - Its not the the same one as shown in the (80s?) movie Close encounters of the 3rd kind is it?

If you're riding above 4500 ft elevation I would make sure you have the 'high altitude loop'. Do a search on it in K-bikes.

thanks jeremell- i love it already yeehah!

Devil's Tower? That sounds familiar - Its not the the same one as shown in the (80s?) movie Close encounters of the 3rd kind is it?

Yes it is.

It may have been mentioned before, don't pass gas. Sound social advice and something to keep in mind as you travel out west. In some areas it may be the distance between stops, but you may find limited hours of operation for some stops.

You will have a ball.

Also be prepared for large variances in temperature. I recall freezing my cajones off in Yellowstone Park one morning in July.

burnszilla i think i have the high altitude loop - the previous owner (cannuck) said he noticed she runs rich in higher altitude and installed it - i've not used it

how do i search on the k-bike site ?..i'm still learning to navigate this site and its options -

how cold is cold? seriously

- no offense yet I note ur from CA and well me thinks my blood might be a bit thicker given Chicago winter/wind conditions - then again since i know nothing i'll take the advice

were you camping ?

burnszilla i think i have the high altitude loop - the previous owner (cannuck) said he noticed she runs rich in higher altitude and installed it - i've not used it

how do i search on the k-bike site ?..i'm still learning to navigate this site and its options -

how cold is cold? seriously

- no offense yet I note ur from CA and well me thinks my blood might be a bit thicker given Chicago winter/wind conditions - then again since i know nothing i'll take the advice

were you camping ?

There is a "Search" link in the top navigation bar. Enter your terms "altitude loop" in the box.. hit enter.. all the threads mentioning that search term will appear.

I'm actually from Northern Ontario. My blood has anti-freeze in it.(manufactured by Molson) :p Is 27 degrees Fahrenheit considered cold in Chicago? I would bring an electric heated liner just in case.

1/2 cover vendors

who remembers the name of the vendor at the rally for 1/2 covers or other vendors for a K75RT?
also the replacement bulbs, where are they typically found - autozone ?

tx:D

laugh love live

it's just a short ride

Its just a short ride to the west from Chicago.....your bike has the altitude loop, it should not be an issue. Yellowstone, Rocky mountain nation parks can be crowded (no campsites) and it can be down right cold below freezing at night and can snow anytime of the year at altitude......The Colorado rockies, yellowstone, Lolo pass, Glacier National Park , beartooth pass are all great to see on a bike...my favorite is Banff and the Icefields highway

be prepared for just about any weather............

heater, air conditioner, heater...

All in the same day. Normal in Wyoming. Pair of long johns, heade the safety issues metioned before. Dusk is happy hour for the lower life forms so keep your
six second scan goint.

I did Chicago, despite the scary stories of others, had a good time. When in Casper, feel free to visit. All the road you're planning are good ones. High traffic for me, lightweight for you. Prepare for the awe and magificence of the scenery.
Cross winds or normal. People like me, are not...LOL

Enjoy your ride. Its a Beemer. They'll speak for themselves.
Michael A. Bailey
aka Scharppslicer
aka SwordofWords
K100LT, 80RT, R69 (58)
:wave

Back