Thread: Will /7 forks fit a /6

Will /7 forks fit a /6

Simple question . . . will a set of leading link forks built for a /7 fit a /6? I think they will but want to be sure before I pursue buying them.

thanks,

j

Leading link?? That ended with the /2 bikes...

The fork tubes for a R90/6 and R100/7 are the same part number, according to ETK. So it would appear that the major components are the same...likely some internals may have changed slightly...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

It is a Unit leading link fork made for a /7. I know that leading link forks produced by BMW ended with the /2's. I have a /6 and I want to make sure all of the mounting at the steering head on the bike would work.

j

John D'oh
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkle View Post
    It is a Unit leading link fork made for a /7. I know that leading link forks produced by BMW ended with the /2's. I have a /6 and I want to make sure all of the mounting at the steering head on the bike would work.

j
    Steering stem, bearings and races (plus chrome cover, bearing tensioning nut and top nut), top stamped steel fork bridge and bottom cast aluminum triple clamp components from 1974 up to around late 1979 will all be interchangeable. The fork tubes from 69 - 79 are all interchangeable too but you won't need tubes. If I remember correctly, the 1974 lower aluminum triple clamp is machined, drilled and tapped for a hydraulic damper assembly too but that would be the only inconsistency. I think some did and some did not depending on how the bike was ordered or if it was an R90S or an R60/6. As far as I can tell, the (frame) steering heads are all the same up to 1977. 77 on are thicker wall tube to accept an RS fairing front mount but otherwise, they are the same as far as bearings/stem/races.
    Last edited by s09rwmb; 08-06-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: steering head note...
    John D'oh