• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Free R75/5

A friend is cleaning out his garage and is offering me his 71' R75 for free. He said it started "missing" on him just prior to his parking it, ten years ago, at which time he did not have the cash to work on it. Now, he's just not into motorcycles.
What do you think? Should I get it? Will I be able to get parts for it anywhere? Just how much of a headache will I be taking on, if any?
Thanks, I think.
espresso

the bidding will begin in a half hour.:D

Just kidding. I talked with the guy last night and he indicated that he parked it in 94' when it started "missing" on him. He said he didn't have the bucks at that time to get it fixed and therefore, just left it. He claimed no mechanical issues, maybe a few minor cosmetics, but that's it. (turns out, he's got a couple of old Nortons also, that he's giving to someone else. hmmmmm)

Anyway, I've got an old 73' R75 sitting is a field next to my house that I may be able to use some parts from. Who knows?

I'll be picking it up this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

Hey Espresso,

You said that you had a '73 R75/5 sitting in the side yard. I also noticed that you are in NC. I have been looking for my first Beemer for years-I know that it has been unregistered w/ DMV for quite a while now, so I know it is off the road and probably yard art now. I just keep checking out old hulks for Gertie..

Gertie was a '73 LWB /5, s/n WB1057407G, she had a box instead of a headlight shell for the speedo (due to fire in the headlight), Windjammer,LTC seat,bags,and a Elephant Ear front fender (copy of /3 fender). She was a great old bike, but I traded it to Deal BMW-HD back in '83 for a R80RT. Rumor was that the shop rebuilt her and it blew up on the new owner! That's why I let her go--my mechanic warned me that she was becoming a "black hole" for my finances.

Just wondering where her bones are at.....:confused:

Hey, do you know about the Bikers Breakfast at Michael's held every Sunday morning? It's on US15-501, between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro. I'm usually there--seems like the BMW's are in the majority when the weather is poor (what does this tell us???):huh

You're right Rad, you think you've got your "budget" in line and then some unexpected "free project" shows up at your door.

Rev. Willie, I've not had the opportunity to get up to Michael's yet. I'm usually sleeping since I own a coffee shop/bar/music venue and work late. One of these days I'll get there.

I think my "basket case" in the field might be someone else's old bones. No square headlight can. In fact, I haven't visited the grave site in a while. Better check it out.

SNOW is coming!!

Rad said:
There is no motorcycle more expensive, than a free one

I know,a pal gave me a fairly intact but not running(for 10 years) Kaw KZ 1000,1978.I was nostalgic because it was the first bike I rode at 100 mph as a pillion.I stored it for 2 years ,then hauled it 300 miles to another friend who said he could/would get it going.That was 3 years ago.Still not going....but by golly I love that bike!!!

One of these days,,,

Back