• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cycle World Article

So, was the Cycle World article fair to the F800ST?

• Yes, it was

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No, it favored the Honda

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No opinon as I haven't read the article

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VFR Vs 800

I have to say I think Cycle world was very fair for once. The VFR is a legend and I own one and know this to be true. Even getting close to a recomendation from CW compared to the VFR means Bmw made a great attempt on the first try with this bike. Also people in the know like the BMW rider will buy the 800 over the VRF because it is a sport tourer with emphasis on tourer not a sport tourer with a sport bike feel. I have to believe they were right on in there evaluation of both bikes. I will however still ride both my BMW's far more than my VFR for some reason that I'll never know. Over tha past three years BMW GS 45,000.00 miles, R60/5 5,000.00 miles VFR 2,000.00 miles, So in the end when you head into the garage its what you pick to ride that says it all.

Brett
Altoona Pa.

Between a chain drive vtech Honda and a belt drive rotax, I'd bet the rotax would be the cheaper to run (nevermind the better fuel mileage).

VFR v F 800

The major disadvantage of the ST as a sport tourer, in my opinion, is it's luggage capacity, which is 10 litres, or 30%, less than the Honda. The VFR uses about 25% more fuel, but its fuel capacity is 1.7 gallons more, so its range is a bit higher than the ST's (217 miles to 190 miles).

Rinty

Last edited:
I read the article and thought the F800 was fairly represented.

I'm glad they mentioned the short distance from the peg to seat. As someone who has had knee surgery it is very uncomfortable to have my knees bent at to sharp of an angle. If I test ride an F800 I will be sure to check that.

The only thing in the article that seemed completely wrong to me was in the DOWNS for the F800. After having an F650CS for over 5 years I can absolutley tell you that the gas cap under the seat is a great big huge UP. What can be more simple than pulling up to the pump, putting the bike on the side stand, leave the tank bag alone and fill the bike up. Since the opening is low it is very easy to see the level of the gas and not over fill it. And if you did over fill it the gas is not going to run all over the plastic where the tank usually is. I give Cycle World a Homer Simpson D'oh on that call.

The only other thing they should have made more mention of was the far superiority of the belt final drive. On my F650CS I now have 30,000 miles. I have never adjusted the belt, I have never lubed it, and I have never spent one single second washing chain lube off of the rear wheel.

Rinty,
Maybe you meant 10 litres? 10 cu/ft is about what my station wagon holds.

The simple way to solve the luggage problem is what a LOT of F800 owners are doing. In effect, get the VFR luggage. The VFR uses Givi V35 bags with a special Honda outer cover. I've got the V35's on my F800 and they are far superior to the BMW bags IMHO, and a lot cheaper, as well. That eliminates one of the VFR advantages according to CW.

As far as range, I'm getting about 350km (217 mi.) before the fuel warning light comes on, at which point the computer is telling me I've got 90 km (56 mi.) to go. No advantage for the Honda there.

Last edited:
ST v VFR

Maybe you meant 10 litres? 32232

Dave:

Whoops! I lapsed out of metric think when I posted that. :doh

I've corrected the post, and thanks for pointing that out. :)

My fuel range figures were calculated from the gas mileages published in the article. But both bikes were probably flogged for the write up, so we may assume CW's numbers are on the low side. But 55 miles per Imperial gallon for the ST is still a good number, in my opinion. What are you getting?

Rinty

Last edited:
Mileage on a 1500 km trip on combined limited access highways & two lane roads, 2-up, loaded saddlebags, top case & tank bag was 7.2 l/100km. (67MPG Imperial).

My usual commute to work and local two lane riding around home is bringing about 3.9 l/100km (72MPG) I'm no slowpoke, as my riding buddies will attest, but like a smooth riding style. Most of this riding is shifting at about 5k with cruising about 100km/h. Mileage is nothing short of phenomenal.

I read the article and thought the F800 was fairly represented.

I'm glad they mentioned the short distance from the peg to seat. As someone who has had knee surgery it is very uncomfortable to have my knees bent at to sharp of an angle. If I test ride an F800 I will be sure to check that.

The only thing in the article that seemed completely wrong to me was in the DOWNS for the F800. After having an F650CS for over 5 years I can absolutley tell you that the gas cap under the seat is a great big huge UP. What can be more simple than pulling up to the pump, putting the bike on the side stand, leave the tank bag alone and fill the bike up. Since the opening is low it is very easy to see the level of the gas and not over fill it. And if you did over fill it the gas is not going to run all over the plastic where the tank usually is. I give Cycle World a Homer Simpson D'oh on that call.

The only other thing they should have made more mention of was the far superiority of the belt final drive. On my F650CS I now have 30,000 miles. I have never adjusted the belt, I have never lubed it, and I have never spent one single second washing chain lube off of the rear wheel.

I almost never get off the bike when filling up. Doing so seems to add at least 10 minutes to a stop - you're off so why not get a milky way, pee, drink something, get stuck chatting with some local, etc. Having to do so would just plain suck, IMHO.

I don't think Brad's a traitor, he's a Hoosier, I think.
Hey, the VFR is a fine machine, I own other brands than BMW (R12RT, F800ST), is that a sin?

I almost never get off the bike when filling up. Doing so seems to add at least 10 minutes to a stop - you're off so why not get a milky way, pee, drink something, get stuck chatting with some local, etc. Having to do so would just plain suck, IMHO.

Hmmm. I enjoy getting off the bike and walking around a bit, stretching. I don't think I'd have visited the Hereford Cafe in Hereford, OR, if I hadn't gotten off the bike and chatted a bit with the local manning the pumps, for example. OR-245 is a pretty nice little road, too.

The major disadvantage of the ST as a sport tourer, in my opinion, is it's luggage capacity, which is 10 litres, or 30%, less than the Honda. The VFR uses about 25% more fuel, but its fuel capacity is 1.7 gallons more, so its range is a bit higher than the ST's (217 miles to 190 miles).

Rinty

As far as the luggage is concerned I like the concept of the 10 liter-expandable to 25 liter bags on the F800. I got them with my F800ST. I also ride a R12ST with 32 liter side cases and there are times when I wish they were smaller, so the F800 bags aren't all bad--depending on what one's needs are during a particular excursion. It's nice to have small luggage when I'm not hauling extra stuff around. BUT I'll concede as a dedicated touring bike, there is definitely a disadvantage to the capacity of the F800 bags. :wave

Between a chain drive vtech Honda and a belt drive rotax, I'd bet the rotax would be the cheaper to run (nevermind the better fuel mileage).

Have a right - left brain argument going on there Knary? Trying to figure out ways to talk yourself out of selling the GS buying the Airhead and the a F? Give in Scott, you know how good Milkyways are.
:wave

CW article

Aw...c'mon.....gimme a break, will ya?

They will write what grabs attention and sells.

In that the F800 is a new idea from BMW, they why not compare it with something that has been around for years and people are familiar with?

The proof will be in the pudding.

By the way, I like my Milky Ways frozen. So there.:)

Any press is good press.
Bad press is better than no press.
As press goes this was decent press as things go.

Besides as cliquish BMW riders do you want to new riders to our ranks who were only smart enough to buy an F800 because CW told them to? :stick

Freeze your Milky Ways and then carry them in your camel pack. Helps cool the water while giving a child treat to boot.

Have a right - left brain argument going on there Knary? Trying to figure out ways to talk yourself out of selling the GS buying the Airhead and the a F? Give in Scott, you know how good Milkyways are.

:ha

Just a sincere evaluation of a bike. A bike isn't all good or all bad, is it?
I still want an F800GS.
But I still hate getting off a bike to fuel up.
It's a waste of precious time.
But then I also live in Oregon and have to deal with having a gas station attendant process the transaction. :banghead

Forgot about that issue.

When touring in OR in the past I thought it was a bit of a luxury to have a gas valet. Also thought that it would be a pain on a day to day basis.

Eureka! Cross over to Vancouver for gas. :lol

Forgot about that issue.

When touring in OR in the past I thought it was a bit of a luxury to have a gas valet. Also thought that it would be a pain on a day to day basis.

Eureka! Cross over to Vancouver for gas. :lol

I absolutely hate it... as much as one can hate being mildly inconvenienced by a silly law that only eats a few minutes of your life each time you visit a gas station. Added up, I've given hours of my life away to this absurdity.

Is it enough to keep me off an F800? no. It is a pretty design (if a bit back heavy - kind of a junk in the trunk look), and allows the engineers to put the fuel where it better fits, not just where tradition puts it. But why anyone would think it's better to always have to get off the bike, I don't understand.

Back