• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No spark on an R60

I pulled the condenser out, since it seems that a pooched condenser can lead to no spark. It's got some crud growing around the lead and some of the insulation is missing. I think it might be the culprit, so I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to buy a new one. I went to the local Kragen Auto Parts yesterday, but no dice with finding a cheap alternative (not like $8 or whatever they are is expensive).
Your dealer won't have the condensor, but he can order it. He probably will tell you he can't. Get them to find the glossy brochures that BMW sent them last year, with about 12 pages of /2 and early parts. It's a beautiful thing, with lots of great photos of parts that will make you drool.

Alternatively, if you can find a VW store/shop that deals with old bugs, get a condensor for a 6V Beetle. It should work just as well and will come with the wire pigtail already soldered to it.

FYI, the magneto is much gentler on the points (and, therefore, the condensor) than a battery/coil ignition is. If you need a condensor this time, you probably won't need one again. The points will last a very long time.

Your dealer won't have the condensor, but he can order it. He probably will tell you he can't. Get them to find the glossy brochures that BMW sent them last year, with about 12 pages of /2 and early parts. It's a beautiful thing, with lots of great photos of parts that will make you drool.

Alternatively, if you can find a VW store/shop that deals with old bugs, get a condensor for a 6V Beetle. It should work just as well and will come with the wire pigtail already soldered to it.

FYI, the magneto is much gentler on the points (and, therefore, the condensor) than a battery/coil ignition is. If you need a condensor this time, you probably won't need one again. The points will last a very long time.

Cool. I might actually have that brochure. It's the one from Mobile Tradition, right? It's got some tank bags, racks, seats, fenders and stuff in it, right?

Back