• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motel Reservations in Gillette

I for one won't be going to Gillette because the motel rates are just outrageously higher than advertised at the WI rally -
The rates should be the same as indicate in the flyer provided at the WI rally. There are blocks of rooms held for BMW MOA. The rates quoted immediately after the rally were due to the fact that hotels weren't booking more than 50 weeks out. Their rates are high, but as has already been said....that is their tourist season, and either we pay it or the tourists will. Unfortunate, but no different than event parking, event rates are higher, and this is an Event!

It's rates like those that make the $35 rally fee (free camping!) a fantastic deal.
I believe that's the option I'll take.

We're riding expensive motorcycles to a MAJOR national event. If you don't want to camp, quitcherbitchin', and pay up. Don't forget the Sherpa option. If you don't own the equipment, or don't feel like strapping it to your bike for this trip, then consider using Sherpa to provide your camping gear.

I don't like price gouging any more than anyone else, but I think I understand why it happens in the hotel industry. It's been explained by others already.

I stayed four nights at a really nice Inn in Cedarburg, WI for the West Bend Rally. It was a short 15-minute ride from the rally site, and it cost about $80/night, including breakfast, and some wine and "nibbles" at 5:00. They even packed me "breakfast to go" for the days I left early to sign up for demo rides. It was a great town, a great place to stay, and a good value.

After the rally, I headed to California, two-up with my wife, for a five-week/8,000-mile cross-continent ride. We've just returned. During our journey, we stayed in all manner of places, in all sorts of cities/towns across the U.S., including places like Sedona, AZ, and Sausalito CA (just across the bay from San Fran). We have a good feel for room rates in prime tourist season, i.e., July/August.

I've just flipped through the Gillette hotel listings handed out in West Bend, and I've just checked a few online. I'd be hard pressed to call them good value. Rip-off, I don't know, but Sedona, or Sausalito, it ain't. I've ridden through it twice in the last three months, and my wife and I grabbed a coffee at Starbucks in Gillette just a few weeks ago. I have some idea what the city is like. Hospitable is not a word that immediately comes to mind.

I'm not a camper, and don't plan to start now, just so I can say I went to Gillette. I think I'll probably give this one a miss. When you add the room rates to the location, it just doesn't add up in my mind. This is not meant as a criticism of those who work hard to select a site. This one just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
What is , is.

I stayed four nights at a really nice Inn in Cedarburg, WI for the West Bend Rally. It was a short 15-minute ride from the rally site, and it cost about $80/night, including breakfast, and some wine and "nibbles" at 5:00. They even packed me "breakfast to go" for the days I left early to sign up for demo rides. It was a great town, a great place to stay, and a good value.

After the rally, I headed to California, two-up with my wife, for a five-week/8,000-mile cross-continent ride. We've just returned. During our journey, we stayed in all manner of places, in all sorts of cities/towns across the U.S., including places like Sedona, AZ, and Sausalito CA (just across the bay from San Fran). We have a good feel for room rates in prime tourist season, i.e., July/August.

I've just flipped through the Gillette hotel listings handed out in West Bend, and I've just checked a few online. I'd be hard pressed to call them good value. Rip-off, I don't know, but Sedona, or Sausalito, it ain't. I've ridden through it twice in the last three months, and my wife and I grabbed a coffee at Starbucks in Gillette just a few weeks ago. I have some idea what the city is like. Hospitable is not a word that immediately comes to mind.

I'm not a camper, and don't plan to start now, just so I can say I went to Gillette. I think I'll probably give this one a miss. When you add the room rates to the location, it just doesn't add up in my mind. This is not meant as a criticism of those who work hard to select a site. This one just doesn't work for me.

Too bad there isn't a Sherpa Mayberry of motorhomes...because the way the boxelder campground is set up, there is great bathrooms, full bathrooms, nice showers with individual drains in the floor (not a pee and pube conveyor belt like in west bend, I might add!) set up throughout the campground. Very clean, and very nice. ALL spaces were electric, and had wireless internert access.

Should someone hint to Sherpa Mayberry to "borrow" a few of the unused rigs somewhere (maybe in NewOrleans haha) for a week or so, just charge a bit less than the going motel rate in Gillette? I doubt if this would work, and this may sound like a wild idea, but that's why youall let new guys on the forum! We don't think, we just bitch and dream! (another haha)

Now as far as hospitality in Gillette...a couple things to factor into your experience here. This town is used to a bunch of to and from Sturgis Harley Guys parading into their town, oogling their daughters, recruiting their young men into "harleydom" getting liquored up and causing trouble and those damn loud pipes! No wonder you got a different reception, you are riding one of them motorbikes too!..OR could it be the stange high viz Aerostich suit we Beemer guys are so known to wear? Possibly the full face flip up helmet with the microphone bobbing like a Michael Jacksoon stage prop, funny little black elf boots, we (the BMW fashion statement) are a bit of a stare! And don't forget, to the general poulation, these fancy pants BMW's with their loaded farkles smell of "rich guy" and by golly, us small town fellas might just take a bit of offense to you uppity rich folk! Give these folks a bit of time to realise that highviz yellow is a ok color, and let it sink in that if each fully outfitted Beemer guy or gal drops 20.00 or 30.00 or 40.00 at their establishment day in and day out at their place of biz, for two days before and all during the rally, and another 20 or 30 on the way out of town and do this without Guys parading into their town oogling their daughters, recruiting their young men into the evils of "harleydom" their reception might just improve! Money talks!

I saw a huge difference in attitude on two evenings I ate out there, one dressed in my Joe rocket high viz and one night in levis and an old t shirt. Hospitality reined high in the levis, and stares of disbelif in the high viz...
Don't not come cause of perceived hospitality, these folks are my kind of folks, but arn't used to BMW trash quite yet! You gotta admit, we are quite a site to see! (got to take a moment to laugh at ourselves here!)

Sorry about the hotels...I wish I had a better answer, maybe BMWMOA could negotiate before hand at the next rally? (hinsite is a woinnerful thing) live and learn, still hope to see you there.

My uninformed and most likely biased opinion,

Red

Last edited:
Typical hotel rooms in citys go for 300+ a night. It's supply and demand. They'll have 100% occupancy at rally time, and they know it. Travelers passing thru without reservations will have to move on. That's why communities love to have groups like ours.... They make money, we have a good time.
robert '04gs '00rt '07st1300

I've stayed at the New York Hilton, 6th Ave and 53rd St in the spring. Great rooms for under $200 a night. The Hilton Anatole in Dallas was $93.00 a night. The Hilton in San Francisco was $153.00 a night. All were first rate.

Gillette motels

Having put together a few Nationals I think I can say something about hotel rates in the host venue area.

Lots of people are complaining about the MOA not being able to regulate the room rates or not negotiating a better deal or a group rate for our attendees.
As others have pointed out, market forces are at play here, the laws of supply and demand. Our demand will occupy the entire available supply, therefore the supplier sets the price.

In Charleston, the supply exceeded the demand and yet we still occupied over 3,500 rooms at very reasonable rates. The same was true in Vermont. Hotels in both venues were offering the MOA discounted room blocks if we would mention their location on our web site and in the ON. It was a bargining tool I could use for the MOA member's benefit.......Hello Group Sales Lodging Manager...look at our great web site, look at our great monthly magazine, look at the fact that there are more rooms than we need in the immediate area, look at your room occupied (albeit at a discounted rate), imagine your room empty during a gathering of 7,000-8,000 people in your area. What sort of discount would you like to offer our members?

Unfortunately that is not always the case at all Nationals, nor is it at this one.

The only way BMW MOA can negotiate a lower rate for our general membership where demand exceeds supply is for the MOA to book the rooms as a block with the MOA credit card at least a year in advance. Do the math. Example: 3,500 rooms @ $100/day = $350,000/day x 3 days = $1,050,000 on the MOA credit card for a year in advance...plus the interest!

Wait, is that the sound of Bob Malehorn's head exploding I'm hearing????? :p

Friedle

I was in the hotel industry (co-owner) for over 38 years and we never required advance deposits a year in advance. Additionally, we negotiated rate and caps that were fair to everyone. It was just good business. (Matter of fact many years ago, the MOA BOD used to have its meetings at my hotel, but those were the early days when the organization was in its infancy)

But now we are in the day of the MBA! Bottom line, maximize profits, employees as just a line item, cut benefits to receive a bonus, and the list goes on. (Guess it was time for me to get out of the business in 2001)

"Gouging" is not a good way to bring back repeat customers. I understand Wisconsin as a destination, but Gillette? (hardly) I know the laws of supply and demand. But we must look at what's reasonable and affordable for our membership. As I stated in my earlier post many don't camp, won't camp, and can't camp. (And don't give me quityourbitchin!)

My wife and I stayed in a beautiful Holiday Inn with an indoor pool in Lima for $79.00/night at that rally. Now that was reasonable! Lima again, not a destination!

Maybe we will pass on Gillette and go to Lima again next summer.

:bolt:lol

"Gouging" is not a good way to bring back repeat customers. I understand Wisconsin as a destination, but Gillette? (hardly) I know the laws of supply and demand. But we must look at what's reasonable and affordable for our membership.:bolt:lol

I doubt they are worrying about repeat customers. How many people would want to return to Gillette regardless of the price?

I doubt they are worrying about repeat customers. How many people would want to return to Gillette regardless of the price?

oh mi gawd...You guys, not everything that is gold glitters as it glitters east of the Mississippi!

First and foremost I have learned about rallies in my short time:

You come primarily for the people you know and the people you most assuredly will meet

You come to discover new areas you have never ridden.

You come to buy farkles

You come to galk at other bikes (I know I did!)

I rode (not came through on a cage) Gillette in July/August and surrounding country, and had a blast. I speak with that experience. You guys are moaning about something you know not, and are shooting off your mouth, influencing many
on pure speculation and ruining the inevitable location for many. Gillette it is, can't and won't change, so COWBOY UP HERE!

Would I set a desintination to West Bend? No more than I would set a final destination of Gillette! Duh! No! But did I come to a Rally there, have a blast at the rally and have a blast riding?yes! When it was announced that Gillette was the 08 rally site, I had some fun with the location sort of "tounge in cheek" type of complaining (Coyte butts post) but even somebody with as low of IQ as me got real after a bit, and stopped joking around when I could see in the posts my joking was having a negitive affect on my MOA brothern and their attitude towards the next rally! Where is your IQ? What do you value here?

THE NON_CAMPERS HAVE A GOOD ARGUMENT AND POINT, but I have paid way too much for a hotel many times in the past when I could see the value of being there, so if you don't see the value, I guess you wont come! But don't undervalue the location to justify why your not coming to Gillette when money is the only issue!

Red

Last edited:
Troublemaker!:stick :p
I have also stayed there once, in 2002 during Summer and the room rate was 120 dollars (2A 2K). It seems to be the price you pay in that area during tourist season

Out west is out west, see you in Gillette.

Should someone hint to Sherpa Mayberry to "borrow" a few of the unused rigs somewhere (maybe in NewOrleans haha) for a week or so, just charge a bit less than the going motel rate in Gillette? I doubt if this would work, and this may sound like a wild idea, but that's why youall let new guys on the forum! We don't think, we just bitch and dream! (another haha)

Yea, this would be pretty cost (and time, I don't have a fleet of drivers, etc) prohibitive.

You'd be better off paying top dollar at a local hotel/motel.

I still like this idea though:

HotelMovi.jpg

I think it holds 11 people.

I need a lot more land before I branch out in this area though...

From a Wyoming native:

Wyoming is experiencing a boom. We have oilfield, coal mines, several pipelines as well as the rodeo and touristo trade. In Pindale Wyoming as an example it is $200.00 a night. Oh, you want a bed? Times 2...Okay, okay I was joking about the bed. The surrounding little towns, Buffalo, Newcastle, Sundance are a nice MC jaunt.

A few years back, coming in from either a Michigan, rally or maybe Trenton; coming in from Newcastle, my K100LT decided I was allowed one speed: supe sonic fast whether I wanted to or not. While the rode in nice for a controlled warp factor, some of those curves and the dusk laden deer and antelope, make one a 'don't wanna'. Coming into Wright, Wyoming (sing my kill switch alternatively) I decide to stay at the motel there. Cost over $ 100.00 (but I wasn't about to say no, or try my luck pitching a tent on a red ant hill). Turned out to be a suite, with a huge room, nice kitchenette with nuke box and 'fridge.

I knew with the HS rodeo, and summer tourists I was not gonna get a great deal, but a roof (and time to ponder my plight) was all i needed and wanted.

Those curious to the ending of my ordeal: the next morning I looked into the engine, and lo and behold a cable had wedged its way into the carg, throttle linkage. Once I freed it, she purred like a flyin' brick should...little smelly clutch smell, but a sight better than seeing if she'd do 140 without asking (she would but...).

Casper is about two and a half hours away (watch the Wright sheriff...30 means 30 and he's had tons of Sturgis experience) and plenty of motels.

Gillette, has some huge coal mines and tons and tons of oil rigs, cattle, sheep, buffalo let alone deer, antelope (as common as dogs), bunny rabbits, prairie dogs, coyote, fox, eagle, hawk, jackalope, moose and squirrel.
Becareful, as some of the oilfield people will try to seduce you into moving into the windy state by offering great jobs, Wyoming women (look good in a pair of jeans), or men (look good in a pair of jeans), or little yello Yoda look alikes (me)
(looks good in a helmet armoured jacket...and a pair of jeans...LOL)

Welcome to Wyoming. Where Men are Men...and Women are Women...And it works out pretty good that way.
Michael A. Bailey
aka Scharppslicer
aka SwordofWords in some circles
Casper, WY
k100LT
80RT
r69 (58):sick

From Wyoming:

I for one won't be going to Gillette because the motel rates are just outrageously higher than advertised at the WI rally -
The rates should be the same as indicate in the flyer provided at the WI rally. There are blocks of rooms held for BMW MOA. The rates quoted immediately after the rally were due to the fact that hotels weren't booking more than 50 weeks out. Their rates are high, but as has already been said....that is their tourist season, and either we pay it or the tourists will. Unfortunate, but no different than event parking, event rates are higher, and this is an Event!

Karol, It has been a bit since I've seen your name. Kinda miss your mug I do, I do.

It will be good to see you in MY state for a change. I've been to everyone else's so this is kind of a selfish bit of fun for me. Plus maybe we'll get a dealer back in this state...LOL
Michael A. Bailey
87 K100LT
83 80RT
58 R69
Casper, WY

Once Upon a Time...

It was because of my now deceased rallyrat father that I became a semi-rally rat.
And Once Upon a Time:
On our way to some rally...Minnesoata I thimk...I was touring with my dad, he on his K100LT, me on my bare 80 R65, (a side note; touring with dad was actually a game of me watching his license plate disappear) when outside Valentine Nebraska a huge deluge abscured the road to the point where neither of us could see road. We pulled over. Had to. It was like being a wet cat; all you could do was just be wet! Finally as we were forced to learn patience, the storm dwindled enough where we were able to hobble into town.
Once in the wonderful Town of Love, we stopped at a generic Mini-Type-Mart for hot coffee. With my bomber leather jacket drenched and noticing the place had a laundromat...I, being a college graduate..decide a few mintue of my jacket in a drier would speed up the process of making me drier and warmer. Sitting their enjoying the value of a coffee so good that it would make Ellen DeGeneres want to join AA, I noticed thattheir were fine tufts of lint floating in the air. Someone didn't clean out the lint trap, I pondered to myself. Being selfless, it would be my duty to do so, only to discover that it was NOT lint, but the inner lining of my jacket that wanted to stay in Valentine. So mote it be.
By that time we both decided we were too tuckered to venture on inot other dark clouds of water, and we would stay.
There are not that many motels in the city. No vacancy. No vacancy. And..no vacancy. But look! Up the street a Bed and Breakfast! Only one room left: the Honeymoon Suite. One bed..a double..toilet down the hall. $ 150.00 We were done. Yes, we would pay. And there we would stay.
Laying upon the marriage bed, I looked upon my father, all grey bearded with the infamous Lee Marvin type nose of the Bailey Clan, with an obvious look about me that provoked a comment from dad, "Shut up! You're ugly too!" okay. okay.
We had a good time, even though I was always in a hurry. Even though HE would stop at EVERY point of interest, even if it were a painted rock planted by the locals. I met new people, saw pretty bikes, pretty scenery and most important, I spent some good quality time with my father. Which was more than a lot of people could've said.
Was it worth it?
Worth every $ 3.00 Pepsi, $ 10.00 bratwurst, $ 6.00 beer.

Michael A. Bailey
aka Scharppslicer
aka SwordofWords
K100LT
80RT
58 R69
2 cracked saddle bags
1 broken pencil
1 good eye
:groovy

Where are the rooms blocked?

So where does one get this flyer or the name of the hotel(s) with room-blocks, if I missed WI? I want to come to this one, it'll be my 1st national and I am looking so forward to it.

Putting out a general question

Gillette had a very nice set up for bathrooms in the box elder campground; About 20? double wides set on permanent foundations, inside about 10 stalls (maybe more in the ladies I stayed out of that side) about six showers with a great area for changing, and another 6 or 8 sinks with full mirrors and plug ins. And clean as a whistle, from the looks came with maid service. These "bathrooms" were dispersed over about a 10 acre campground with grass.

Here's the question; for those of you that are wrestling with paying an extorted charge for a hotel, if Sherpa Mayberry could provide deluxe tents (standup inside type with cots, and the bathrooms were A+, would this change your mind about camping?

Just asking, hoping that the powers above at BMWMOA are keeping their ears open (and S Mayberry)!

Red

Last edited:
if Sherpa Mayberry could provide delux tents (standup inside type with cots, and the bathrooms were A+, would this change your mind about camping?

Just asking, hoping that the powers above at BMWMOA are keeping their ears open (and S Mayberry)!

Red

I've often considered doing a single deluxe package (large tent that folks can stand up in, inflatable bed, table, etc). I can't do too many as the equipment (cots, etc) take up a lot more room than the standard setup.

The cost would be significanly more than the standard setup though, and I've never been able to gauge the desire for someone to pay that much more.

I've been ripped off on motels in: Tucson, Az.; rock convention in town (yea rocks). Waco, Tx.; Nebraska was in town for football. Cortez, Co.; summertime in four corners and limited rooms. Wheatland, Wyo.; Cheyenne Frontier days was going on 80 mies away. Key West, Fl.; always. Pacific Coast highway; almost makes me cry to stay there but what beautiful country. Paid $5.25 per gallon for gas near Big Sur this month. Many, many more I don't remember. Anywhere on any interstate highway in the summertime.

I do a lot of riding (thousands and thousands of miles) before Memorial Day and after Labor Day and stay in lots of independant motels on 2 lane highways at $30 to $50 per night.

Gillette, Wy. ...... I have friends there and I like the place in a Wyo. sort of way. Places like Gillette are still the real American West. Oil, coal, trains, cattle, rolling high plains. It's real easy to ride here and let your mind drift back a hundred or a hundred and fifty years and think of what role things like trains played in the development of this great expanse of land. Mostly really nice, down to earth, honest people (kind of like MOA members.) Real cowboys wear tennis shoes and baseball caps. Sometimes you just have to look at things through a little different eyeball.

The motel business is the motel business. I've always been amused how "government" gigs the traveler with all kinds of additional charges so the locals can pay less taxes. It always seems the more and steadier the tourist trade, the higher all the add on taxes are. I don't find 25% additional taxes on a motel bill even suprising anymore.

Can't wait for the '08 rally!! :bikes

Back