• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motel Reservations in Gillette

awagnon

Gillette, Wyoming, visitor bureau had a booth at the MOA rally in Wisconsin where they gave out a list of local motels with "convention rates". Last night I booked a room on line considerably cheaper than their convention rate. Granted, I used the AARP (geezer) rate, but even the standard online rate was less. A friend tried to make reservations at the same motel by phone and was told there wasn't a rate that low. So, he logged onto their website and booked at the same low rate as I did. So, bottom line, be wary of their "convention rates" and book early.

Al,

Keep close tabs on your confirmation paperwork. Also, I would verify with the hotel in a few months that your reservation is still "intact". From past experience, the hotels around Laguna Seca have been INFAMOUS for canceling all the "cheap" online reservations to fill up with the more expensive ones when they figure out that they can. It's unethical, but there's nothing you can do about it. Even if it is a national chain, the parent company will be of little help to you if this indeed happens to you. I'm not saying it will, but I am recommending that people "trust but verify" the reservations they do make.

Hotel rates in Gillete are absurd!

Gillette, Wyoming, visitor bureau had a booth at the MOA rally in Wisconsin where they gave out a list of local motels with "convention rates". Last night I booked a room on line considerably cheaper than their convention rate. Granted, I used the AARP (geezer) rate, but even the standard online rate was less. A friend tried to make reservations at the same motel by phone and was told there wasn't a rate that low. So, he logged onto their website and booked at the same low rate as I did. So, bottom line, be wary of their "convention rates" and book early.

What hotel and what was the rate? I attempted to make reservations online today and even the Super 8 was over $170 per day at an AARP rate. Saw several rates over $200 per night. Absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned. I thought Lima was a cesspool that that ripped us off but it appears Gillette is even worse.

Wingate rates

Just made reservations on-line at Wingate for $118.15 per night (Senior/AARP) vs the $159 rate quoted in the BMWMOA Hotels brochure that was at the 2007 Rallye.
AAA rates are $125.10 and "best available" rate is $139.00

Quote: "What hotel and what was the rate?

It was the Wingate and the AARP rate was $ 118 plus change.

THIS is the kind of Crap that the MOA folks need to be aware of and be making phone calls to the visitors and convention people in lovely Gillette.

RW

There is not much the "visitors and convention" people can do when a hotel gets overtaken by greed.

Yer' jess beginning to get "a taste" of Gillette Wyoming.
:stick
It'll get better I'm sure...

Sanders

There is not much the "visitors and convention" people can do when a hotel gets overtaken by greed.

Agreed, but the fact that it's happening, and will happen anytime a horde of out of town folks decend upon a location for any type of event doesn't make it any better. Remember one of the reasons that the location for the national isn't made public 2yrs in advance is that there are NEGOTIATIONS that take place between the MOA and the location. Some sort of control against gouging should be in play.

RW

Hotel Rates in Gillette

Quote: "What hotel and what was the rate?

It was the Wingate and the AARP rate was $ 118 plus change.

The rate now is $169+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fully understand market forces, especially in the hospitality industry, however, I believe our organization must get firm rate committments prior to booking a rally site. Too much emphasis is placed on camping . . . and not enough on those who enjoy rallys but won't, don't, or can't sleep on the ground.

Just my humble opinion . . .

call for a boycott of expensive Gillette hotels

I don't do business with places that raise their rates to capitalize on events. Generally, I avoid the event entirely. A prime example is Sturgis.

I think the quoted prices of hotel rooms is outrageous. I've been to Gillette a few times and the rates were no where near what have been quoted here.

If I were attending the rally next year, I would camp on the grounds. Perhaps it would best to boycott the hotels. The economics of supply and demand is a two way street.

Next year I will be attending the Black Hills BMW Stampede in Spearfish [ :thumb ] the weekend before the MOA . It's a small rally but a great one offering exceptional riding. No price gouging there.

gouging?

Typical hotel rooms in citys go for 300+ a night. It's supply and demand. They'll have 100% occupancy at rally time, and they know it. Travelers passing thru without reservations will have to move on. That's why communities love to have groups like ours.... They make money, we have a good time.
robert '04gs '00rt '07st1300

Typical hotel rooms in citys go for 300+ a night. It's supply and demand. They'll have 100% occupancy at rally time, and they know it. Travelers passing thru without reservations will have to move on. That's why communities love to have groups like ours.... They make money, we have a good time.
robert '04gs '00rt '07st1300

When the Bristol Race gets here next week, motels will jack up their rates to 3 or 4 times their normal rate and they will have a 3 day minimum. Without the 2 NASCAR races, many of the motels would go broke. I had a cousin who lived in Augusta and she planned her vacation around the Masters. She rented her house out while on vacation and was able to make several house payments with the income. She found reliable folks and rented to them every year. It is simply supply and demand and you can't blame the business owners.

Yes you can blame the business owners. Just because the market will bear it does not make it right (except perhaps under the Ferengi Rules Of Acquisition), and the short-term gain could cost them repeat business down the road. A happy customer is a returning customer- but this is not a popular idea in business these days.

Look at the business model. A convention center draws x people to an event. That requires y hotel rooms during events. Between events the rooms sit empty. If you want a discounted room in Gillette, try mid week in January.
robert gs rt st

Look at the business model. A convention center draws x people to an event. That requires y hotel rooms during events. Between events the rooms sit empty.robert gs rt st

Exactly. If you can't charge more during an event to make up for the time the rooms are empty, there won't be any rooms there for anyone at any price (and there won't any need for repeat business).

I recall times I've visited Las Vegas. If there is a convention in town, you can count on hotel rates being quite a bit higher. I've seen rates double over night when a big convention hits town. I guess it's just business as usual for Gillette, also.

Just curious

What were hotel/motel rooms going for in the West Bend area during the most recent MOA Rally? And how do those rates compare to "off" weeks? I only ask because I don't recall this kind of debate/discussion a year ago.

The rates in West Bend were all at $100/night or higher. They did not increase the rates because of our rally - - -> summertime is tourist season in Wisconsin, and if the motels wouldn't have filled up with BMW riders, they would have filled up with other tourists from out-of-stae.

As one owner told me, "Now, if you want to move your rally into January, and I can give you some GREAT rates."

Sending this from Bend, Oregon..... on my 48-State Great Adventure

Sue
........Livin' the Dream, baby, Livin' the dream............

Where's MOA?

I for one won't be going to Gillette because the motel rates are just outrageously higher than advertised at the WI rally - and I'm offended by gauging. But, I have no doubt that all available rooms will be occupied; as noted in this thread, market forces at work. That's fine for motel owners, but not so fine for the membership. When scouting for meeting venues, do MOA negotiators consider factoring in accommodation charges? Do they discuss the issue with prospective venue businesses? Do local accommodation rates play any role in the choice of a national rally?

Back