• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motel Reservations in Gillette

So where does one get this flyer or the name of the hotel(s) with room-blocks, if I missed WI? I want to come to this one, it'll be my 1st national and I am looking so forward to it.

Will someone please respond to this? Thanks.

Tweety,

We have a copy of the flyer. If you want, we can scan it & email it to you. PM me with your email address. Sounds like the prices are not exactly as contained in the flyer, though at least you'd have a list of places to call.

Cheryl

I seem to recall that the MOA committee when selecting a rally site takes into account the ability of the site to provide enough camping area. And I believe if the required amount is not available then the site is not booked. Should the rally committee do the same with the amount of rooms?

In West Bend and other rallyÔÇÖs I obtained a room in a nearby town usually 10 or 15 miles away. Now out West, towns are 60 to 70 miles apart in a lot of places making it difficult to commute to the rally.

If we are exceeding the amount of rooms, are we not exceeding the capacity of restaurants in the area? Are we going to be in line at every meal?

I have no problem with motel owners charging what the market will bear however I have a choice in paying it or not. I think for this rally it isnot.

I think for future events the committee should put the amount of available rooms on the same level as the amount of camping spaces. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Gillette motel rooms

I seem to recall that the MOA committee when selecting a rally site takes into account the ability of the site to provide enough camping area. And I believe if the required amount is not available then the site is not booked. Should the rally committee do the same with the amount of rooms?

<<The Rally Site Selection Team does take into account the number of rooms available within a 20 mile radius. It is a "no go" for more than a few sites that are suggested by members or the venues themselves. Fairgrounds often attract large crowds, but these groups are usually "day visitors" not "overnight visitors">>

In West Bend and other rallyÔÇÖs I obtained a room in a nearby town usually 10 or 15 miles away. Now out West, towns are 60 to 70 miles apart in a lot of places making it difficult to commute to the rally.

<<Yep>>

If we are exceeding the amount of rooms, are we not exceeding the capacity of restaurants in the area? Are we going to be in line at every meal?

<<Not necesarily. That is why we have on site food vendors. Where do you think all those fairgoers eat? Sometimes we can indeed overwhelm the local restaurants if they don't believe how many of us are coming or how hungry we can get after riding all day...ie: Trenton rally, but this is not usually the case. The local C of C is usually well aware that most of the money we leave in the area will be in the form of food and drink.>>

I have no problem with motel owners charging what the market will bear however I have a choice in paying it or not. I think for this rally it isnot.

<<Your choice. This is not the Marines. Nobody is forcing you to camp...or motel>>

I think for future events the committee should put the amount of available rooms on the same level as the amount of camping spaces. Just my thoughts on the subject.

<<Friedle>>

Gillette motel rooms

Okay, so trying to anser within the above poster's quote didn't quite work out for me. Let's try it this way instead, question by question.

The Rally Site Selection Committee does indeed take into account the number of motel rooms within a 20 mile radius of a suggested site. More than one venue suggested by our members has been found to be lacking this important qualification and therefore unsuitable for our needs. As our membership ages, the ratio of campers to motelers is approaching 60/40 where not that long ago, relatively speaking, it was closer to 80/20.

Agreed, towns out west are further apart as are large numbers of available lodging...at any price point.

Most Fairgrounds events are "day tripper" events, not "overnight visitors", yet there is always enough food for the visitors. It's the reason we make sure there are enough on site food vendors for our group. The local C of C is well aware that the majority of money we will leave in their community is from food and drink, and they often encourage their members to extend their hours of operation. Sometimes, ie: Trenton rally, the community doesn't believe how much we can eat after riding all day and lines grow long while supplies grow short, but that is not the norm by any means.

Lodging is a supply and demand item. Fortunately you have a choice of camping, which is included in your Rally fee; paying the going rate for available lodging; or not attending the rally this year. This is not the Marines, nobody will force you to camp if you don't want to do so.

Friedle

Lodging is a supply and demand item. Fortunately you have a choice of camping, which is included in your Rally fee; paying the going rate for available lodging; or not attending the rally this year. This is not the Marines, nobody will force you to camp if you don't want to do so.

Friedle

I think most of the problem is the aging of the MOA members. I think the MOA has to address this.

Is there a reason the Rally is held in July each year? Seems as though a big tourist area would be a better deal if held in late May or early September. I know from my travels in the west that traffic and weather is better suited to motorcycle travel during these "shoulder" months.

Not trying to ÔÇ£nit pickÔÇØ just some thoughts.

Motel reservations

Yes the membership of the MOA is aging, hence the rise in the number of motel reservations at our most recent International gatherings. The BoD and the RSST are both well aware of the trend and have adjusted our venue criteria accordingly when we search for future sites.

The reasons the International is held in July are many. Some of the most basic are: most Fairgrounds have their annual Fair in August which occupies most of the month to set up, operate, and clean up the venue; July is usually a slow month other than the 4th celebrations; May and September are often times when kids are still in school for many of our members. There are other reasons as well, but I wanted to answer your specific questions.

Hope that helps.

Friedle

Wyoming is experiencing a boom. We have oilfield, coal mines, several pipelines as well as the rodeo and touristo trade. In Pindale Wyoming as an example it is $200.00 a night. Oh, you want a bed? Times 2...Okay, okay I was joking about the bed. The surrounding little towns, Buffalo, Newcastle, Sundance are a nice MC jaunt.

A few years back, coming in from either a Michigan, rally or maybe Trenton; coming in from Newcastle, my K100LT decided I was allowed one speed: supe sonic fast whether I wanted to or not. While the rode in nice for a controlled warp factor, some of those curves and the dusk laden deer and antelope, make one a 'don't wanna'. Coming into Wright, Wyoming (sing my kill switch alternatively) I decide to stay at the motel there. Cost over $ 100.00 (but I wasn't about to say no, or try my luck pitching a tent on a red ant hill). Turned out to be a suite, with a huge room, nice kitchenette with nuke box and 'fridge.

I knew with the HS rodeo, and summer tourists I was not gonna get a great deal, but a roof (and time to ponder my plight) was all i needed and wanted.

Those curious to the ending of my ordeal: the next morning I looked into the engine, and lo and behold a cable had wedged its way into the carg, throttle linkage. Once I freed it, she purred like a flyin' brick should...little smelly clutch smell, but a sight better than seeing if she'd do 140 without asking (she would but...).

Casper is about two and a half hours away (watch the Wright sheriff...30 means 30 and he's had tons of Sturgis experience) and plenty of motels.

Gillette, has some huge coal mines and tons and tons of oil rigs, cattle, sheep, buffalo let alone deer, antelope (as common as dogs), bunny rabbits, prairie dogs, coyote, fox, eagle, hawk, jackalope, moose and squirrel.
Becareful, as some of the oilfield people will try to seduce you into moving into the windy state by offering great jobs, Wyoming women (look good in a pair of jeans), or men (look good in a pair of jeans), or little yello Yoda look alikes (me)
(looks good in a helmet armoured jacket...and a pair of jeans...LOL)

Welcome to Wyoming. Where Men are Men...and Women are Women...And it works out pretty good that way.
Michael A. Bailey
aka Scharppslicer
aka SwordofWords in some circles
Casper, WY
k100LT
80RT
r69 (58):sick

But what about the sheep?:nyah

If you don't want to camp,quitcherbitchin',and pay up

It's rates like those that make the $35 rally fee (free camping!) a fantastic deal.
I believe that's the option I'll take.

We're riding expensive motorcycles to a MAJOR national event. If you don't want to camp, quitcherbitchin', and pay up. Don't forget the Sherpa option. If you don't own the equipment, or don't feel like strapping it to your bike for this trip, then consider using Sherpa to provide your camping gear.

I don't like price gouging any more than anyone else, but I think I understand why it happens in the hotel industry. It's been explained by others already.

yeah,that's the attitude.If you were in the Army,did you enjoy "camping"? As was explained earlier,"many don't camp, won't camp, and can't camp.Or simply choose not to.

Any trees or grass

Yes the membership of the MOA is aging, hence the rise in the number of motel reservations at our most recent International gatherings. The BoD and the RSST are both well aware of the trend and have adjusted our venue criteria accordingly when we search for future sites.

Hope that helps.

Friedle

for campers next summer?Campers (not me) should be asking that question.

Might try to look at alternatives puut out there

You know, I posted awhile ago that one of the campgrounds at Gillette was fully equipped with what best described as "Gentleman’s Bathrooms" lots of them set up in a separate area, and if anyone would consider if Sherpa Mayberry was to bring in DEluxe, stand up and set down in tents with cots, etc.. Versus the standard Sherpa "pup tents"

Nobody said yes and nobody said no. Sherpa Mayberry gave a definite Maybe if the intrest was there from the MOA brothern.

The facts, as I hear them is this.
#1. The 08 National is going to happen at Gillette. I don't think anyone in the BMW MOA Generals are going to suddenly announe "Since all of you have been a bitchin and a moanin, we are changing the national to Las Vegas, Nevada where room are abundant and cheap No, kiddos, Gillette is here to stay.

#2 By the amount of bitchin and a moanin, many WOULD like to go, but cant/won't experience the wonders of democracy in action, and pay the high cost of hotels. From the sound of it, the room ARE there, just going at a pretty penny.

#3 This alternative that I have brought out is a legit alternative. I have friends in their 80s who every year for 20 years go elk hunting in a big group up by Rand in Colorado. They set up these deluxe tents, and even without the bathrooms, the" tent experience" that many remember so fondly from the army has been transformed into a restful nights sleep with cots and pilows, and a decent respite from the elements. Gillette has the deluxe bathrooms to add to this, so think about it for a minute before you click out off htis post!

Having said that, I ask once again; is this option a possible for any if the price was right?

Red

Last edited:
yeah,that's the attitude.If you were in the Army,did you enjoy "camping"? As was explained earlier,"many don't camp, won't camp, and can't camp.Or simply choose not to.

I guess the points I was trying to make were these:

- $35 for a rally fee and place to sleep in your tent for 3 or 4 days is a decent price. Some that are "on the fence" should consider this.

- If you don't have tents or sleeping bags, consider the Sherpa/Mayberry option, if you think you'd be able to sleep outside.

- The hotel prices are what they are, and all the internet forum bitching and whining is probably not going to change them. Of course this is not a desirable situation, and of course I don't like it either. But, I do trust the people who work to set up these rallies to do their best in working with the hotel industry.

I completely understand folks who won't do tents at a rally. I get it, really I do. I'm not a rally rat, and the rallies where my wife and/or family has attended with me were spent in a hotel. If I'm solo, it'll be a tent.

I was never in any military service, but offer my thanks, kudos, and utmost respect to every man and woman who has given a portion of their life to serving in the military. But I'm betting that sleeping in a tent on a soft grassy field with hot showers, bathrooms, and food vendors, all within easy walking distance, is a far cry from what soldiers experience in the field.

Apologies if I came across as a little bit non-sympathetic to those that desire hotel rooms, that wasn't my intent. The 2008 rally site is where it is, the hotel situation is what it is, at least for now, so we either deal with it, or work to figure out what we can do to make it better for this and future national rallies. According to Mike Freidle, it sounds like this is a situation that is being dealt with in selecting sites.

- $35 for a rally fee and place to sleep in your tent for 3 or 4 days is a decent price. Some that are "on the fence" should consider this.

- If you don't have tents or sleeping bags, consider the Sherpa/Mayberry option, if you think you'd be able to sleep outside.

- The hotel prices are what they are, and all the internet forum bitching and whining is probably not going to change them. Of course this is not a desirable situation, and of course I don't like it either. But, I do trust the people who work to set up these rallies to do their best in working with the hotel industry.

I completely understand folks who won't do tents at a rally. I get it, really I do. I'm not a rally rat, and the rallies where my wife and/or family has attended with me were spent in a hotel. If I'm solo, it'll be a tent.

I was never in any military service, but offer my thanks, kudos, and utmost respect to every man and woman who has given a portion of their life to serving in the military. But I'm betting that sleeping in a tent on a soft grassy field with hot showers, bathrooms, and food vendors, all within easy walking distance, is a far cry from what soldiers experience in the field.

Apologies if I came across as a little bit non-sympathetic to those that desire hotel rooms, that wasn't my intent. The 2008 rally site is where it is, the hotel situation is what it is, at least for now, so we either deal with it, or work to figure out what we can do to make it better for this and future national rallies. According to Mike Freidle, it sounds like this is a situation that is being dealt with in selecting sites.

Man, I cannot say how much I agree with your view, but I wanted to add an additional perspective on the solo option and why at least I won't use a tent and the value of a hotel room.

I have an F800S with very limited, completely removable, luggage options (and I want it that way). The end result of this is, if I carry a tent, I cannot carry much else. Even solo, it is worth it to me to blow $$$ at a pricy hotel than not go to the rally.

I just want the "sponsored hotel" info since I wasn't at the '07 rally. Can somebody provide names of them and phone numbers? Thanks.

I guess I need to also clarify my respect and utmost "Thank you" for those who served our country in any capacity. No disrespect for those who cannot or will not sleep in a tent, I just am trying to lay out some alternatives for those who maybe would consider a slightly different tent alternative. Trying to help get people to the rally anyway I can. Gillette has a ace in the hand with these semi truck size real plumbing bathrooms, and I know I liked em alot.

It wasn't the "camping" in the army that got to me it was those SOB's who were shooting at me! I camp, I like to camp, but I admit it's now mostly in KOA's that have pools, hot tubs, hot showers etc. I camped on my last cross country trip but everywhere had showers and at least porta johns, even the state parks had flush toilets. This is nothing like sleeping in a rice paddy and I always had the deck of a huey to sleep on when i was in the field.

I certainly don't knock anyone who doesn't camp, it's not for everyone and if I think a hotel costs to much I won't stay there. I guess what people object to is the whining. There is a very simple solution to not liking the rally venue. Don't go! There will always be somewhere else that is more to your liking.

It wasn't the "camping" in the army that got to me it was those SOB's who were shooting at me! I camp, I like to camp, but I admit it's now mostly in KOA's that have pools, hot tubs, hot showers etc. I camped on my last cross country trip but everywhere had showers and at least porta johns, even the state parks had flush toilets. This is nothing like sleeping in a rice paddy and I always had the deck of a huey to sleep on when i was in the field.

I certainly don't knock anyone who doesn't camp, it's not for everyone and if I think a hotel costs to much I won't stay there. I guess what people object to is the whining. There is a very simple solution to not liking the rally venue. Don't go! There will always be somewhere else that is more to your liking.

Amen.

Now if we get over this and start posting useful info, like where to get Motel Reservations in Gillette. I understand the MOA has a deal with one or more, but where, no one seem to want to post!

Names and phone numbers of those in the rally brochure, please. I was not at the 07 rally, I don't have the rally flyer, and I'd like to make plans now for Gillette. I am going if I get the info I need-no whining here!

Here is an alternative to staying at a hotel/motel, and is information included in the flyer the Cam-Plex staff had available at the 2008 Rally Information booth at West Bend. The Camper (RV) rentals and home rentals are used during Gillette's annual rodeo and has been presented to BMW MOA as an option for us. I'll put the hotel information from the flyer in a separate post.

RENT A LOCAL RV (CAMPER) OR HOME

If you are interested in renting an RV or a
home from a local Gillette resident during
the Rally, you can place an ad in the local
Gillette newspaper. Ask for your ad to be
placed in the classified section under WANT
TO RENT.

Be sure to be specific with your RV needs
(sleeps 4 adults/ac / slide out, etc.)
You will make your arrangements with the
private party to deliver & setup camper at
CAM-PLEX in advance.

THREE WAYS TO CONTACT THE
GILLETTE NEWS RECORD:

Online: gillettenewsrecord.com. (This is the best way
place the ad and pay for it with a credit card.)
Phone: 307-682-9306, ext. 0
E-mail: classified@gillettenewsrecord.com

There are one hundred + Campers (RVs) available to rent in the Gillette area. We aren't sure how many individuals would be willing to rent their home.

Nicely put!

To RSST:is there grass in the camping area and shade?

Back