• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

This thread is going to be stale and unimaginative, don't look.

Getting high and hanging around is the name of the game, I'm guessing we were about 200' up for the transfer in the man basket.

To compare this drop is 300' off the deck and 400' off the water
Flare Tower Legs D & C 057-XL.jpg

This hole in the ground is a able shaft at the 2nd biggest hydro plant in Canada, it's 900" deep, the winch line is there to remove the old cables.
IMG_0968-L.jpg

The elevator shaft is 1000' deep but I don't have any pics

This is the top entrance to one of the penstocks, it's 15' square on a 60º angle and 1200' deep
IMG_1151-L.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 56
Getting high and hanging around is the name of the game, I'm guessing we were about 200' up for the transfer in the man basket.

To compare this drop is 300' off the deck and 400' off the water
View attachment 78765

This hole in the ground is a able shaft at the 2nd biggest hydro plant in Canada, it's 900" deep, the winch line is there to remove the old cables.
View attachment 78768

The elevator shaft is 1000' deep but I don't have any pics

This is the top entrance to one of the penstocks, it's 15' square on a 60º angle and 1200' deep
View attachment 78767

Well, it is no wonder that you like beer. :)

The offer.

You are correct sir, I do like beer and lots of it!:ha

Great photos.

You get to Grayling, MI and I am buying*.

Grayling - three traffic lights - three brew pubs.

For our size we are a Beer Town.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 life

* I don't mean one or two beers - I mean as much beer as your capacity and judgement dictates. There is a fresh growler in the fridge. Great great photos.

Jumars and ascenders are the same thing and I typically only use my etrier's if I have to aid around which looks like this:
P7080004-L.jpg
Moving across fixed points using your cowstails of which you have 3 so you can stay connected to 2 at all times. In this case he is positioned on 3 hooks which are a modification of a Petzl fife hook. He's also on belay on 2 ropes.

As for beer I'd love to get a spin in to Michigan, maybe I'll be able to try for Montana next year. I make no promises for judgement when unlimited beer is on hand but I do knowhow to show restraint seeing as I have over 1000 bottles in my cellar.

Thank you very much for the invite. when are you coming to Newfoundland for a visit?

Thank you very much for the invite. when are you coming to Newfoundland for a visit?

I think we are a little alike in promoting our respective home areas.

I have wanted to get out your way ever since some BMW OA friends from Prince George B.C. sent me a postcard showing the Confederation Bridge. Wow.

I was trying to do the Prudhoe Bay to Key West trip again this year but it appears that family medical issues and the coronavirus situation may make that not possible.

If you do get out this way stop for a night and I will take you around to the three places we have. They do an excellent job and get good reviews from visitors.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I think we are a little alike in promoting our respective home areas.

I have wanted to get out your way ever since some BMW OA friends from Prince George B.C. sent me a postcard showing the Confederation Bridge. Wow.

I was trying to do the Prudhoe Bay to Key West trip again this year but it appears that family medical issues and the coronavirus situation may make that not possible.

If you do get out this way stop for a night and I will take you around to the three places we have. They do an excellent job and get good reviews from visitors.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449
The area used to have a good barber shop too. :) Hope it is still there!

The area used to have a good barber shop too. :) Hope it is still there!

It still is.

It is closed right now and I am not sure about its near future as that the barber, Aubry (story teller extraordinaire) is 79 years old and he needs to have a safe environment.

He once convinced a visiting Army Colonel that one of the aviators was giving helicopter rides out to a remote lake to fish and had just raised the shuttle price and the locals were pretty upset. The Colonel hurriedly reported it to the base commander who asked, with a chuckle, if he had been in to get his haircut from Aubry.

I will pass your comment on to him. It will make his day.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

:lurk
I am doing this because the thread that says it will be unpopular, is really going strong.
I also wanted to see if BMW riders listen. I am guessing no.:stick
What? A thread about Nothing?
:laugh

Disclaimer: This thread is not meant to annoy or offend anyone in any way. I absolve myself of all legal ramifications.

Rapid Roy inspired me to start my own thread about nothing; the Mid-South Ride Eat and Meet thread. It started as a thread about nothing and evolved into a thread about everything. How disappointing is that? Thx Rapid Roy!:dance:usa:thumb

Rapid Roy inspired me to start my own thread about nothing; the Mid-South Ride Eat and Meet thread. It started as a thread about nothing and evolved into a thread about everything. How disappointing is that? Thx Rapid Roy!:dance:usa:thumb
Thanks but I stole it from Sienfeld. lol

Back