• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Will the train switch yard be noisy?

Has anyone notices that there are several train tracks near the fairgrounds? Are these active tracks? What is the expected noise likely to be?

Thanks --mds

Okay all, here is the difinitive answer to all those questions regarding the rail lines that are seen in the ariel view of the fairgrounds.

The yard is operated by Union Pacific, not BNSF as previously reported in other posts. I spoke with a director at UP this morning, so this is direct from the horse's mouth as they say.

While UP does have 24 hour operations, they only have two trains that utilize those tracks on a daily basis. Both trains are morning trains, 7:00 AM and 10:00 AM and operate Monday-Friday. IF (and according to UP that is a big IF) there is any other activity that occurs, everything is shut down by 7:00 PM. No trains run on Sundays at all.

All their other rail activity takes place through another switching yard, as does the Amtrak train, which BTW does come through Spokane at 1:30 AM. The station for Amtrak is located in downtown Spokane (the platform Rev. Willie is refering to) and the train comes into Spokane via another yard before hitting the station and then departing for parts west.

For those of you who like trains, you will have to be satisfied with the visiting the train museum on the rally grounds. Hopefully this answers all questions.

Thank you. As someone who used to live next to a switch yard -- AND WILL NEVER AGAIN -- this was very informative. Hopefully, everything's correct and I won't have any bad flashbacks :)

As someone who used to work in a train switch yard aka Hump...I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to spend much time around one,if quiet is your current value.
You can get used to it....

Actually, yes, there is "quiet rail" that reduces the noise you hear when a train goes by. But I've never known of a quiet rail yard. I've been around a few and lived near one for too long, and I'll second that "never again" and raise you a "not near a sawmill again, either."

Last edited:
Bill, have you ever been to a switch yard? the sound of the cars banging into each other over and over as they change the cars to other trains is not very romantic, especially in the middle of the night.

Montana said:
Actually, yes, there is "quiet rail" that reduces the noise you hear when a train goes by. But I've never known of a quiet rail yard. I've been around a few and lived near one for too long, and I'll second that "never again" and raise you a "not near a sawmill again, either."

Yes. CalTrain is installing seamless rail (or what ever it's
called) and it is quiet. But not when a freighter blows through.

A train is passing by now and about all I can hear is the
engine.

If you're looking for quiet, don't stay near the yard.

Ian

My best friend's bedroom window growing up was about 30 yards from a very active train track. After a while you just start to sleep through it, even if the horns are blowing or not.

Hey, I know where to get one!

I know where there's a car like that available. Has Rev Willie considered contacting Montana RailLink about a rally train? Of course, all it takes is $.

Back