• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What electronic gadgets are on your bike?

K1100LT Garmin mount

I've got a 97 K1100LTB that I rode cross country from the Redmond Oregon rally back to Albany, NY. My Garmin Street Pilot (Monochrome) was mounted using velcro on the steering yoke. - worked OK, but not perfect.

That was 2001 -

Now I just bought a RAM round base, small extension and Street Pilot mount and Garmin power adapter to BMW plus. Total investment like $60.00.

I Purchased come Stainless Steel bolts, washers and nylon insert lock nuts from a local hardware store and mounted the RAM base on the right fairing pocket cover near the top. I instinctively look right, so it is the best place for me. You might want to consider the left fairing pocket if you don't have a radio since you have to be careful of the front brake resevoir getting hit in low speed manuvers if it's in the wrong position. i then used silicone caulk on the inside to seal the bolt holes...

Looks like it will do just great - not as nice as a shelf, but VERY functional and inobtrusive.

BTW - any K1100LT riders going to the Charleston Rally????

Attachments

• ram_garmin.jpg
    ram_garmin.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,405
1. Radar Jammer
2. Electronic Deer Whistles
3. Blue Halogen Headlight bulbs

Just kidding! Too much time on my hands today :eek

Not really a gadgetmeister!

Bel 945i radar detector
Weather one, radio
Electric vest setup

Want a V-1 & Autocomm someday:dunno

2002 K1200RS is equipped with only a Valentine 1 radar detector mounted on a K-mount (K-mount sold through motorcycleradar.com). Radar unit is direct wired to the parking light power source. Very clean system. Valentine 1 performance is second to none!

See everyone in Charleston...21 days and counting down.

Chuck Manley
Director, BMW MOA
Dinky Dozen BMW Riders #84

K1200LT:

GPS V
Passport 8500
AutoCom ProM1
Two sets of Aux. lights
Cell Phone

Marek

On my K100 RS I'm about to install my V1 w/ Hard System on a accessory shelf. I also plan to mount my Garmin III+ next to it. I'm still trying to decide on a good way to get power to these devices and I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also toying w/ getting a Delphi Sky Fi XM radio but since I don't currently have a radio (and don't plan on adding one) I'm at a loss on how to get audio to my helmet. I have had XM in my cage for a little less than 6 months and I love it and think it would be cool to have it on my bike. I'm heading to Sturgis at the end of the month and XM would sure be nice to have on that trip...

On my '93 K1100LT:

Fuel Plus trip computer - www.fuelplus.com
K-TAIL-2 rear tailight enhancement - doubles the effective size of brake light
Wilburs rear shock
PIAA H4 headlight
Airhawk air seat

OK. So the only electronic gadget is the Fuel Plus.

I love all of it except the PIAA lamp. Too many years with a 55/100?

I am feeling soooo left out.

Let's see...since my 1969 R60 is a conversion bike, that means that I added ELECTRIC START! Woohoo! ;)

Oh wait...you said elecTRONIC gagets.:doh

IBR Gagets

Greetings,

I wanted to chime in when this thread started but decided to wait until after the rally.

Here is a list of some of the electronics on my K11LT.

J&M intercom system with cell phone, CB and radar wired to helmet with custom mic.

CB with Wilson NG 4 antenna

Motarola Star Tac tri mode phone with car mount kit for external power wired into J&M system. Wilson No Ground truckers antenna.

Valentine 1, mounted inside left pannier lid with remote visual and audio to override cicruit on J&M system

Garmin V GPS on custom mount hardwired to bike with Garmin remote marine antenna.

Garmin B&W Street Pilot on custom mount hardwired to bike.

Getac CA25 ruggedized tablet PC The secret weapon powered by a 110w inverter hardwired to bike through waterproof breaker which can be seen in the lower right of the picture. Data from Garmin GPS V (NMEA) to waterproof serial port on tablet provided real time postion information which worked great with delorme street atlas.

Radio Shack egg timer with two countdown timers (up to 99 hrs)

Voltmeter

There ya go, everything but music (which I didn't want).

Best,

Attachments

• ibr cockpitbrt.jpg
    ibr cockpitbrt.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,805
OMG!

Rob if you go down on that bike you may end up looking like a BORG with cyberntic implants with all those toys on board your bike :)

Wow I mean I feel technilogically challenged when I saw your photo. Thats a seriously issue considering I'm a Field Service Engineer for a University, a part time Professional digital photographer and techir guy to boot!

Jeffrey A. Guntert
Schenctady, NY
97 K1100LTB

Nye's technology desk

Yeah. This is the before picture of Nye's bike. You ought to see it now! and it still runs. K-bikes suck!

BFF

Piaa 910s,MoTolights, Garmin StreetPilot ColorMap hardwired,Valentine One hardwired with concealed display and remote,Delphi Satellite radio,iPod,Mixit. Hidden in my glove-box is a rats nest of phone cable wires for concealed display and remote. This winter I plan to custom crimp new cords for those. Also various cig plug adapters for other accessories.

No Nye Bike

K12RS with a simple set-up.

V1 and audio remote Velcro'd to tank bag hard wired through the BMW Tank bag electrification kit.

Portable CB attached to the tank bag using headset from Sierra Electronics and Fire Fly 4 foot (light weight Firestick) no ground plane antenna tuned to better than 1.1 to 1 SWR (20 inch loop in extra cable under the seat is biggest factor in tuning). Also wired to electrification kit.

V1 is heard through "Koss- The plug" ear speakers ($20 at Best Buys), included soft plugs removed (they don't eliminate enough wind noise) and holes to hear melted with hot paper clip in my drug store disposables.

This allows me to use the headset for CB and ear plugs for V1 and not use a very expensive mixer like the J&M or the Autocom.

Some sort of driving lights from Sport Touring Accessories

Flashing LED brake lights.. yeah, Hyperlights

High center brake light on Givi top box

All electronics on tank bag as rain cover protects and all comes off the bike easily at motel etc.

If I were to add other audio such as music, I would add the Mixit and run V1 plus others through it to the earplug speakers.

I do not have a GPS as it would be below my sight line too far and I want to live.

Last edited:
Nye's Power Supply

Did you forget to mention the 200A extra alternator to power all this stuff? Or have you upgraded to the trailer based nuclear power supply? :brow

Mine has following:

1) Garmin III Plus on RAM Mount
2) Valentine 1 Radar Detector use to mount on shel, now in tank bag.
3) Autocom Pro M1

My Electric bill is low

I am pretty sure my bike has electronic ignition. Does that count?

I am thinking 'bout one of them eee-lectric vests for spring and fall riding, but that would be on me - not the bike.

Well Cliffy, for riding in Boston (the way you pronounce Rockster) on a Rockstah (not much wind protection I presume) you will be needing that eeelectric vest / Jacket

Re: My Electric bill is low

Cliffy777 said:
I am pretty sure my bike has electronic ignition. Does that count?

I am thinking 'bout one of them eee-lectric vests for spring and fall riding, but that would be on me - not the bike.

Yeah, but you're on the bike, so it counts.

Get a Gerbings jacket. Warm arms are all good.

:D

This Rocksta is not from Boston

Shoot - I was tryin' for something Jamaican with "Rocksta", now I find out people assume I am a Bostonian.
The vest will come in handy here in Michigan as well.

Back