• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

off road boots

C

cubster

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts on the quality of BMW apparel and if its worth the extra money. I've been looking for a good quality pair of riding boots, and would like to be able to walk in them, but also have the protection for my GS 1150. I've seen the sites for the Santiago boots, and was wondering if they were worth it, or if other brands such Oxtar fit the bill. Any help would be appreciated in my decision making.

Thanks
Cubster

I've had my Santiago boots for a couple months now. They were pretty stiff at first, but are breaking in now and are not so bad. Its reasonable to walk in them, but I wouldn't reccomend serious hiking, they don't have the soles for that. some light walking about is fine. They are a reasonable compromise between a full out motocross boot and a street boot, just what is needed for most GS riding.

I believe the Oxtar Infinity is a nearly identical boot for a bit less money. If you can find them to buy, go with them and save a bit of cash. I couldn't track any down to test fit, and thus was not comfortable ordering online. The local dealer had the Santiagos in stock, so that made the decision to buy them straight forward.

I appreciate the help and the adv site with all of those posts. Very informative.
In regard to the Santiago boots, can they be resoled, this would really alleviate the cost difference if the soles wore out vs buying a new pair of boots.

Thanks

A good and inexpensive pair of off-road boots is the Fox Tracker boots, offering great support and protection for the money. Not enough for supercross or MX though great for light enduro/recreational riding.

I appreciate the help and the adv site with all of those posts. Very informative.
In regard to the Santiago boots, can they be resoled, this would really alleviate the cost difference if the soles wore out vs buying a new pair of boots.

Thanks

I'm not sure how well the boots could be resoled, but I should think that a good shoe repair shop should be able to do something with them. Unless you plan to do a lot of foot dragging, the soles will likely last out the rest of the boot anyway.

Boots!

I have the Combat Touring Boots from Aerostich. These boots are overkill for basic touring. I did not know that at the time. I would suggest the Combat lites for basic sport touring. But as a GS boot these things are tall and strong. I takes a while to break them in but boy these will last a good long time.

Bill P

Back