• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Plexus

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
I'm new to the Plexus bandwagon, but I just wanted to let the board know what an amazing product this stuff is for your windscreen.

My five year old Aeroflow screen was starting to yellow a bit (P.O. kept the bike outside, uncovered, for a year) and had all the tiny scratches you'd expect on a five year old screen.

An application of Plexus made the screen look as good as new! Worked equal wonders on my headlight cover.

Highly recommended!

Semper Plexus

Glad to hear you 'discovered' Plexus. It truly is great stuff for cleaning lexan, plexiglass or aircraft-grade windshields.

So many other items on the market contain amonia (i.e. Windex) or harmful solvents (i.e. RainEx), so glad you went with a good product.

Ride Safe!

Last edited:
And, since the polyurethane paints are a plastic of sorts, it works great as a polish for the painted parts as well.

The windscreen on my 2003 GS Adventure just turned 4 years old and it still looks like new.

I was just thinking how new it looked yesterday while out on a bright sunny day ride...my critical eye couldn't see the faintest line on it no matter what angle it was peered at.

The trick?

- careful cleaning followed by an application of Lemon Pledge or similar product, after every ride,
- an annual polish with Meguiar's Swirl Remover.

And yes, I've used Plexus in the past. A good product.

A co-worker of mine told me a now-funny story about why you shouldn't use Pledge - it attracts bees - and wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, etc.

He told a hilarious story about camping alongside a river. They arrived at night and set up camp. Turns out the camp was a place where fishermen routinely cleaned their fish. When the sun came up, the yellow jackets swarmed out of their hives and instead of eating the fish guts, descended upon his Triumph. He got stung three times in the 15 minutes it took them to pack up and get the heck out of there.

He's reported many other instances of bees being attracted to the scent of the Pledge. That's reason enough for me to avoid putting the stuff on my bike! I'll stick with the Plexus.

It IS fantastic stuff glad you finally discovered it! I switched from Wurth to Plexus some 8 years ago. My dealer thought I was nuts ordering a case at a time (no one carried it back then) until he finally caught on. Now you can find it just about anywhere and in a couple different sized cans.

I have never had it damage a windshield or visor and I've used it on Shoei, Nolan, and Scorpion helmets and all combinations of visors: clear, smoked, mirrored, anti-fog, etc. It's not very friendly with the FogCity anti-fog shields however, the shield will turn 'tacky' after a few applications. If you have some fogging that Plexus won't touch, move to Nexus #1 plastic polish - the two together will just about cover any plastic polishing need. I *always* have at least 1 can on the bike.

I didn't set up a formal booth, but years ago I used to carry a case with me to rallies and informally sell them to folks. The Dells rally was one of the first...

I use Plexus and really like it.

The local "wingnut" shop uses and sells a Lucas product.

Does anyone know of the product and what do you think???

He's reported many other instances of bees being attracted to the scent of the Pledge. That's reason enough for me to avoid putting the stuff on my bike! I'll stick with the Plexus.

Well 20 years later, zero bee stings. Thats probably because I swat any that bother me.

Glad to hear you 'discovered' Plexus. It truly is great stuff for cleaning lexan, plexiglass or aircraft-grade windshields.(snip)
I have been using the Plexus #1 and #2 (for fine scratch removal). I have much better success with regular polishing compound on my buffer to remove scratches. I notice no difference whatsover when I use Plexus. It simply fails to work (for me). As for the #1 product, it's too hard to remove the stuff from the windshield - sort of greasy (for me). I use S100 detailer and it does a good job.

I realize that Plexus has earned cult status, and I'm sure not without good reason. I just can't personally corroborate those reasons.

Curt

I have been using the Plexus #1 and #2 (for fine scratch removal). I have much better success with regular polishing compound on my buffer to remove scratches. I notice no difference whatsover when I use Plexus. It simply fails to work (for me). As for the #1 product, it's too hard to remove the stuff from the windshield - sort of greasy (for me). I use S100 detailer and it does a good job.

I realize that Plexus has earned cult status, and I'm sure not without good reason. I just can't personally corroborate those reasons.

Curt

I think you're thinking of Novus... Plexus doesn't have a #1 and #2, it's a spray can of cleaner/anti-fog/polish and while available in several sizes there is only one formulation. It's not really meant to take out scratches, it fills very fine scratches and buffs the surface. GREAT for removing bugs!

Plexus is great: eating my words (happily)

I think you're thinking of Novus... Plexus doesn't have a #1 and #2, it's a spray can of cleaner/anti-fog/polish and while available in several sizes there is only one formulation. It's not really meant to take out scratches, it fills very fine scratches and buffs the surface. GREAT for removing bugs!
You are so right! It is Novus I've been using. After reading your post, I stopped at my favorite motorcycle shop and saw both products side-by-side on the shelf and realized my mistake. I bought the one can of Plexus he had on the shelf and immediately took it to my scratched up face shield on my daily-ride helmet. Wow! Best product I've ever used on my faceshield.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake I'm happy to find another great product.

Eating crow,
Curt

I use Brillianize. I bought a gallon for $20 in 1999, and still have a quart remaining, even after giving some away.

http://www.brillianize.com

I had to go to a plastics fabricator to buy it, but now it is available online.

Fred
'07 R

plexus is ....

... great stuff but I use sprayway. It gets everything out without damaging the windscreen. Cheaper too. Plexus is a little better at wicking water away but not as good a cleaner so I apply it after sprayway.

Attachments

• sw-50-fs.jpg
    sw-50-fs.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 257
You are so right! It is Novus I've been using. After reading your post, I stopped at my favorite motorcycle shop and saw both products side-by-side on the shelf and realized my mistake. I bought the one can of Plexus he had on the shelf and immediately took it to my scratched up face shield on my daily-ride helmet. Wow! Best product I've ever used on my faceshield.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake I'm happy to find another great product.

Eating crow,
Curt

GLAD to help Curt! You'll find a use for the Novus too... Plexus doesn't do *every*thing ;) I usually start a season off by fully washing the bike. In the process, I remove the windshield and use Novus #1 and #2 on it to really get it nice and clean and clear. Then an application of Plexus. The rest of the summer, I usually only need the Plexus. This grew out of habit from my K100's which seemed to need the extra grit of Novus to get them nice and clear.

I use Brillianize. I bought a gallon for $20 in 1999, and still have a quart remaining, even after giving some away.

http://www.brillianize.com

I had to go to a plastics fabricator to buy it, but now it is available online.

Fred
'07 R

It doesn't look like it would "cling" though?? One of the things I liked with Plexus is that it clings to where you spray it, not quite like a foam, and it will run a bit, but enough stays in place to soak in and eat off bug grime.

Cling? You spray it on, let it soften the crappy stuff, and wipe it off. The cool part is when you flip your rag over to the dry side and polish the faceshield or windscreen.

Brillianize was top-rated by MCN, back when the stuff was hard to get.

Fred

Back