Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plexus

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

Plexus

I'm new to the Plexus bandwagon, but I just wanted to let the board know what an amazing product this stuff is for your windscreen.

My five year old Aeroflow screen was starting to yellow a bit (P.O. kept the bike outside, uncovered, for a year) and had all the tiny scratches you'd expect on a five year old screen.

An application of Plexus made the screen look as good as new! Worked equal wonders on my headlight cover.

Highly recommended!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Rally Rat

Thumbs up Semper Plexus

Glad to hear you 'discovered' Plexus. It truly is great stuff for cleaning lexan, plexiglass or aircraft-grade windshields.

So many other items on the market contain amonia (i.e. Windex) or harmful solvents (i.e. RainEx), so glad you went with a good product.

Ride Safe!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 07-24-2007 at 02:38 AM.

And, since the polyurethane paints are a plastic of sorts, it works great as a polish for the painted parts as well.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

The windscreen on my 2003 GS Adventure just turned 4 years old and it still looks like new.

I was just thinking how new it looked yesterday while out on a bright sunny day ride...my critical eye couldn't see the faintest line on it no matter what angle it was peered at.

The trick?

- careful cleaning followed by an application of Lemon Pledge or similar product, after every ride,
    - an annual polish with Meguiar's Swirl Remover.

And yes, I've used Plexus in the past. A good product.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    A co-worker of mine told me a now-funny story about why you shouldn't use Pledge - it attracts bees - and wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, etc.

He told a hilarious story about camping alongside a river. They arrived at night and set up camp. Turns out the camp was a place where fishermen routinely cleaned their fish. When the sun came up, the yellow jackets swarmed out of their hives and instead of eating the fish guts, descended upon his Triumph. He got stung three times in the 15 minutes it took them to pack up and get the heck out of there.

He's reported many other instances of bees being attracted to the scent of the Pledge. That's reason enough for me to avoid putting the stuff on my bike! I'll stick with the Plexus.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

It IS fantastic stuff glad you finally discovered it! I switched from Wurth to Plexus some 8 years ago. My dealer thought I was nuts ordering a case at a time (no one carried it back then) until he finally caught on. Now you can find it just about anywhere and in a couple different sized cans.

I have never had it damage a windshield or visor and I've used it on Shoei, Nolan, and Scorpion helmets and all combinations of visors: clear, smoked, mirrored, anti-fog, etc. It's not very friendly with the FogCity anti-fog shields however, the shield will turn 'tacky' after a few applications. If you have some fogging that Plexus won't touch, move to Nexus #1 plastic polish - the two together will just about cover any plastic polishing need. I *always* have at least 1 can on the bike.

I didn't set up a formal booth, but years ago I used to carry a case with me to rallies and informally sell them to folks. The Dells rally was one of the first...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Plexus Good and so is

S100 Engine Brite.

Plexus

I use Plexus and really like it.

The local "wingnut" shop uses and sells a Lucas product.

Does anyone know of the product and what do you think???

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    He's reported many other instances of bees being attracted to the scent of the Pledge. That's reason enough for me to avoid putting the stuff on my bike! I'll stick with the Plexus.
    Well 20 years later, zero bee stings. Thats probably because I swat any that bother me.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Glad to hear you 'discovered' Plexus. It truly is great stuff for cleaning lexan, plexiglass or aircraft-grade windshields.(snip)
    I have been using the Plexus #1 and #2 (for fine scratch removal). I have much better success with regular polishing compound on my buffer to remove scratches. I notice no difference whatsover when I use Plexus. It simply fails to work (for me). As for the #1 product, it's too hard to remove the stuff from the windshield - sort of greasy (for me). I use S100 detailer and it does a good job.

I realize that Plexus has earned cult status, and I'm sure not without good reason. I just can't personally corroborate those reasons.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by hcmiller52 View Post
    I have been using the Plexus #1 and #2 (for fine scratch removal). I have much better success with regular polishing compound on my buffer to remove scratches. I notice no difference whatsover when I use Plexus. It simply fails to work (for me). As for the #1 product, it's too hard to remove the stuff from the windshield - sort of greasy (for me). I use S100 detailer and it does a good job.

I realize that Plexus has earned cult status, and I'm sure not without good reason. I just can't personally corroborate those reasons.

Curt
    I think you're thinking of Novus... Plexus doesn't have a #1 and #2, it's a spray can of cleaner/anti-fog/polish and while available in several sizes there is only one formulation. It's not really meant to take out scratches, it fills very fine scratches and buffs the surface. GREAT for removing bugs!
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Rally Rat

Thumbs up Plexus is great: eating my words (happily)

Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I think you're thinking of Novus... Plexus doesn't have a #1 and #2, it's a spray can of cleaner/anti-fog/polish and while available in several sizes there is only one formulation. It's not really meant to take out scratches, it fills very fine scratches and buffs the surface. GREAT for removing bugs!
    You are so right! It is Novus I've been using. After reading your post, I stopped at my favorite motorcycle shop and saw both products side-by-side on the shelf and realized my mistake. I bought the one can of Plexus he had on the shelf and immediately took it to my scratched up face shield on my daily-ride helmet. Wow! Best product I've ever used on my faceshield.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake I'm happy to find another great product.

Eating crow,
    Curt

I use "Gel Gloss" http://trindustries.com/store/catalo...products_id=35
    Works great on my K75S windshield and helmet visor. Many uses around the house too. About the only think on the bike is doesn't help is rubber or natural aluminum, or the seat. But mainly I use it on the 'shield. Can be found in larger grocery stores or hardware stores.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    I'm new to the Plexus bandwagon, but I just wanted to let the board know what an amazing product this stuff is for your windscreen.

Highly recommended!
    +1

Works great on face shields too!
    Mike Sweger
    Charlottesville, Virginia | 2004 K1200GT & 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    "In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth. ~ Buddah

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    I use Brillianize. I bought a gallon for $20 in 1999, and still have a quart remaining, even after giving some away.

http://www.brillianize.com

I had to go to a plastics fabricator to buy it, but now it is available online.

Fred
    '07 R