Thread: Zumo 550 & XM

Zumo 550 & XM

Sorry for yet another Zumo thread but I did search and couldn't find the answer.
    Is anyone using the XM and bluetooth? Does that even work? I saw references to it NOT working that way. That you have to attach a cord to get mp3 or XM. IS this true? If it is then I don't need one. The attraction was the ability to be wireless, get the turn instructions, and be able to hear the music. If I can't do that then I will hold out for now.

SNC1923
    I think your information is correct, that bluetooth does not support XM. According to the Garmin manual, bluetooth is supported for MP3, mobile phone, and turn-by-turn directions. It does not support XM. (I assume this is per XM and not Garmin.)

However, I did wire mine and it works pretty great. I have an extension cord (mini-stereo) running from the unit underneath the gas tank and comes up between the tank and the seat. Not wireless, but really clean and convenient.

Just a thought. . . .

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    There is a cheap work around.

Carry a small FM radio to pick up the XM signal retransmitted from the ZUMO as FM

OR

get the 2730 (edited) by Garmin which comes with the XM antenna and save the bucks. However the 2730 (edited) does not have bluetooth.

The 2730 (edited) , which I used from Wisconsin and back now sells for 300 - 400 dollars depending on how hard you search.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: fix error in model number

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    There is a cheap work around.

Carry a small FM radio to pick up the XM signal retransmitted from the ZUMO as FM

OR

get the 3720 by Garmin which comes with the XM antenna and save the bucks. However the 3720 doew not have bluetooth.

The 3720, which I used from Wisconsin and back now sells for 300 - 400 dollars depending on how hard you search.
    Paul do you mean the 2730? That is the other unit I am considering and I will more than likely get that one. I already have the mount and power cable as I currently have a 2610. I am however having a hard time finding one.

I don't know the answer to your question, since I am not using XM with my Zumo. However, you might want to check out www.zumoforums.com where you will find the answer to just about everything Zumo.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Paul do you mean the 2730? That is the other unit I am considering and I will more than likely get that one. I already have the mount and power cable as I currently have a 2610. I am however having a hard time finding one.
    Yup, that is the one. Come on down and give it a try. It also will hold MP3s and audio books. A super unit at half the price of the ZUMO.

And presently there is a big discount on the TomTom rider and an additional $100 off if you are an AMA member.

Yup, that is the one. Come on down and give it a try. It also will hold MP3s and audio books. A super unit at half the price of the ZUMO.

And presently there is a big discount on the TomTom rider and an additional $100 off if you are an AMA member.
    I'm not a big fan of the TomTom and they are not waterproof just water resistant. There are just small things I like about Garmin better.

Garmin has amazing software. Easy to use and it gets you there.

XM is great. It makes a long ride easy. Listen to two old time radio episodes and stop for water. The Garmin 2730 comes with the antenna. For the ZUMO that another $200.

Listen to two more and stop for water and gas.

Repeat a couple of times and 500 miles is done!

Of course it helps if you are old enough to remember ...

The Shadow
    Hopalong Cassidy
    Red Rider
    Sergeant Preston of the Yukon
    Gunsmoke
    The Lone Ranger
    Jack Benny

and lots more.

Garmin has amazing software. Easy to use and it gets you there.

XM is great. It makes a long ride easy. Listen to two old time radio episodes and stop for water. The Garmin 2730 comes with the antenna. For the ZUMO that another $200.

Listen to two more and stop for water and gas.

Repeat a couple of times and 500 miles is done!

Of course it helps if you are old enough to remember ...

The Shadow
    Hopalong Cassidy
    Red Rider
    Sergeant Preston of the Yukon
    Gunsmoke
    The Lone Ranger
    Jack Benny

and lots more.
    Paul, you're dating yourself.

I was sure you were going to list "The Perils of Pauline" and "The Rudy Valee Show" too!

Went with the 2730

I ended up finding one at edgegps.com. They are getting some in Friday so I placed my order. I should have it next week. I already have my 2610 sold for a good price so my out of pocket expense is not bad.

You are right Paul about having to buy the XM antenna with the Zumo, that was a big reason I didn't buy it.

bluetooth with mp3

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Sorry for yet another Zumo thread but I did search and couldn't find the answer.
    Is anyone using the XM and bluetooth? Does that even work? I saw references to it NOT working that way. That you have to attach a cord to get mp3 or XM. IS this true? If it is then I don't need one. The attraction was the ability to be wireless, get the turn instructions, and be able to hear the music. If I can't do that then I will hold out for now.
    my buddy has the zumo 550 and he has put mp3 files on it that play via bluetooth to his scala rider. scala is mono but if you have the Teamset you have 2 speakers. he has not used the xm yet. i am stuck with Nav III for now.
    R1200RT, R1100RTP, R1150GSA, F800ST, DR200

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wlpmd View Post
    my buddy has the zumo 550 and he has put mp3 files on it that play via bluetooth to his scala rider. scala is mono but if you have the Teamset you have 2 speakers. he has not used the xm yet. i am stuck with Nav III for now.
    Battery time on the Scala?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

My Scala goes all day...12 hr rides.
    Greg
    Greg ('02 F650 GS; '06 K1200GT); Lynda ('07 R1200RT, '04 Burgman 650)
    Norfolk, VA
    Our Pictures Web Site

Greengo
    I can get you a 2730 if you want one. Contact me at davidgreenlees@msn.com if you're interested. In the meantime, I will research the Bluetooth issue for the XM.

OOPS! I didn't see the post that you found one...sorry. But if anyone else wants one or any other, let me know, I have a website where I sell them.