• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

help I need broken rib riding tricks

G

gened12

Hi

I recently had a hard encounter with some trail doing 35 with my 1200 GS when I blocked the front wheel and highsided only to have the front end land on my ribs. Result 4 broken ribs. Hurt like hell for the first 2-3 weeks but still very sore. I went riding (pavement only) today for 3 hours but came back with VERY sore rib cage.

Any of you guys have developped tricks to ride while healing?

I would apreciate any good tips.

Cheers

Denis R1200GS:hungover

I just didn't ride...

I left the bike parked for about 4 or 5 weeks, and then got well.

I totally understand if this isn't an option for you, but it's just what I did. I primarily ride my 'cycle to commute, and I just really didn't want to be disadvantaged in any way when riding in rush hour traffic.

Here's hoping you heal quickly!

Vicodin... The other white meat.

Seriously man if you don't have to ride take the cage. Heal and ride safe another day.

Vicodin... The other white meat.

Seriously man if you don't have to ride take the cage. Heal and ride safe another day.

What he said. I doubt you are getting paid enough to play hurt. Take the time to heal right and ride another day.

In '96, I had 6 broken ribs and a crushed shoulder blade. Funny movies helped me heal quickly. It hurt to laugh at first but soon that was the only thing that didn't hurt. Ease into it, don't start off with the really funny ones. My Dr was surprised how quickly I healed. I don't even want to think what would happen to you if you got injured again right now. Be careful and here is to a quick healing.

Hmmm.... I would suggest not over doing it. If you must ride, try ibuprofen and a rib belt. Rib fractures are very painful. Good luck!

Diane

Just be careful about how long you wear the rib belt. I have seen cowboys come in with their chests bound up with rope, and every other sort of binder. Problem is, if you don't expand your lungs regularly you may develop pneumonia, which would be very painful on top of rib injuries. My experience is that these injuries take about 4 weeks to heal, and you have little alternative other than to take it easy. Ibuprofen is a great suggestion......vicodin and motorcycles are not a recommended combination, but it works great if you are not driving/riding.

and watch out for potholes...OUCH! I had two cracked during hayfever season...the sneezing nearly killed me!
as others say, let the ribs expand...a little wrap for a short bit may feel better, but can cause more problems if you use it all the time.

Thanks for the tips

Hi there,

Thanks for the tips, I am following the most popular reccomendation (not to ride) but it still stinks... all those perfect summer days going by unridden... I even had to cancel my plans to attend the rally.:bluduh :bluduh

As for coughing and sneezing, after repeated experience of both, I can assure you that they are both VERY painful. I will probably wait another week and test out the ribs again on a short ride.

I keep reminding myself that it could have been worse, but yet I would have been quite satisfied with just a few bruises (in terms of lesson learned)

By the way to all GS owners out there, please ride carefully off road these are HEAvY bikes when they fall on you. My tip is to wear the FULL body armor when riding off road, not just the regular road protection. In my case I think that would have made a significant difference on the severity of the injuries.

the only silver lining is that my GS hardly suffered (broken head lamp $$ and broken windshield and a couple of indicator lamps and a nice scratch on the left valve cover). I wish I was as solidly built...

Cheers to all

Ride safe

Denis R1200GS

Trenton Rally

Denis,
Sorry about the injury and missing the National. The Trenton rally should be just about the time you could resume riding, and is a short ride from Deux Montagnes (about 4 hours.) You might want to consider it as a first ride. http://www.ltbmwr.ca/

Good luck and heal well.

Holly

Thanks for the invitation

Denis,
Sorry about the injury and missing the National. The Trenton rally should be just about the time you could resume riding, and is a short ride from Deux Montagnes (about 4 hours.) You might want to consider it as a first ride. http://www.ltbmwr.ca/

Good luck and heal well.

Holly

You guys might just see me there... just look for a slightly bruised GS and a slightly bruised rider...

cheers

Denis:D

Back