• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Future Rally Site question

1974?

dude, you are OLD! :laugh

No, I started YOUNG, have not gotten to OLD yet.

willie... be sure to be combing the woods in your area, too.

ian
I love talking to facility people and run out a couple of size requirements, the size of the crowd, the size of the CAMPERS!. Oh, it's so much fun watching their eyes widen and the color washing out of their face! Shock has value.:jawdrop

Hey LT! I'll ride with you sometime! It was 103 degrees here in Clinton today. Whew! I can't do the ride when Ian comes to check things, as I have two young daughters that love to Surf with their old man. (Yes, Ian I'm old enough to know Murph the Surf :thumb ) so we'll be heading to the beach for that Labor Day weekend. I really look forward to meeting local BMW brothers.

As a Nube... anyone know of MOA events here our people in SC get together?
Murphy

Murph,

A great rally to go to in the spring is over in Hiawasee, Georgia (I think Ian helps out with that). I don't currently know of any in South Carolina (maybe we'll start one!). The heat is even worse down here (Columbia). I think it hit around 105 today. E-mail me at jemens@aol.com, and we'll get together for a ride.

Jim

Hey LT! I'll ride with you sometime! It was 103 degrees here in Clinton today. Whew! I can't do the ride when Ian comes to check things, as I have two young daughters that love to Surf with their old man. (Yes, Ian I'm old enough to know Murph the Surf :thumb ) so we'll be heading to the beach for that Labor Day weekend. I really look forward to meeting local BMW brothers.

As a Nube... anyone know of MOA events here our people in SC get together?
Murphy

Murphy,
Good for you for taking an active part in the club, new guy or not your input is just as relevant & useful as anyone else's.

I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.

Ride safe,
George

Murphy,
Good for you for taking an active part in the club, new guy or not your input is just as relevant & useful as anyone else's.

I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.

Ride safe,
George

George -
Though it was 103 in Clinton SC on August 8th (what I guess you're keying on)
other Temperatures that day were:
Philadelphia - 95
New York - 93
Richmond - 101
Bagdad - 110
It was hot everywhere.
The average temperature in July for the Upstate of SC was 92 degrees. For a guy like me that grew up in Florida it was very pleasant.

When I watch Detroit Tigers baseball at night (I've got the MLB Package and have been a long time Tigers fan) I have to roll my eyes when they complain about the "HOT" 85 degree temperature at game time. I guess your view of hot is dependant on where you're located. I'm sure that "Shade Hound" Yankees roll their eyes when we in the south complain about 30 degrees with 2 inches of snow being terrible weather!:lol
Murph

I'd go to a rally in SC in a heartbeat: Never ridden in the state, but I've got family (and a business) there and always wanted to see upstate on 2 wheels... :thumb

I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.George

I've only been to 5 national rallies. Three of them were RA Rallies in the south (they did the spring & fall time). Of the southern rallies, the one that should have been the coolest was the hottest, the one that should have been the hottest was perfect and the one that should have been the most comfortable was cold. They all defied the temperature averages. When you have to plan a year and more in advance, the weather is a crapshoot. I remember the MOA Rally in Ohio where a tornado touched down in a community less than an hour after we rode through it. A late summer or early fall rally in the southeast always leaves the possibility of hurricanes.

I do think the determination of the MOA to have the rally in July every year makes a rally south of the Mason-Dixon line unlikely. Also, I don't know about the statistics but I feel July is one of the most dangerous months of the year for riding because the roads are full of stressed out drivers taking their families on vacation and driving far longer hours than they are accustomed.

Back