Thread: Comfort seats

Comfort seats

Help, looking for the write up a fella did on testing all sorts of seats and seat pads in the BMW owners news. My butt got a little tender riding to the rally.

Max
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    1998 r1100gs

On the Road
    Havn't seen anything like you mention, but let me put in a plug for the Airhawk, which is a multi-celled inflatable pad. The air moves slowly from cell to cell. I put off getting one for a year or so, $180 seemed shockingly expensive for a simple little blow-up pad. But I heard many good things, so I sprang for it. Took it on a few rides, it seemed ok, but these were single day rides so the jury was out.

Then I took it to the national.

Now, I expected *some* improvement, but what I got was a complete and miraculous cure for butt-burn. Instead of feeling miserable by day 3, I never even thought about my tender young derriere. FWIW, I did about 3100 mi to the rally in 6 days, then 2200 home in 4 days. When I got close to home, I went through Yosemite and felt so good that I took a detour to Glacier Point. Of course one problem with getting rid of rearend pain is that you might notice the other little aches a bit more.

BTW, the trick is to just barely inflate it so that it cradles you. You need to experiment a bit. The one complaint I've heard is that you sort of float around on it, which feels disconcerting to some in the twisties. I can understand that; for me, it just took some getting used to.

No connection with the company, just a very happy camper!!

Arla, thanks for the tip and it sounds like you had a better time going home than to the rally. The trip to the rally got my bottom end suggesting I find something better than the stock seat of my gs to sit on l

I have an AirHawk as well, works well for what it was intended to do, but it doesn't keep your butt cool. I sprang(although initially sceptical) for a Bead Rider. $35 at the Rally. Overpriced for what it is. The point is, it works to keep cooling air circulating under your tender parts. I'm a convert.

Woodgrain