Thread: R1150R crash guards

R1150R crash guards

Folks:

Does anyone make engine crash guards for an '02 R1150R? Not head protectors, but full guards.

If so, any recommendations out there?

Thanks

You should be able to use GS guards.

tawill481

If you do not mind me asking, why the full guards on a roadster?
    I have the same bike.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Maybe he falls over in wildlife refuges like I do.

M1ka

How many times do we have to tell you that roadsters are not amphibious vehicles?

I have seen crash guards on several types of airheads. But not on oilheads-OTHER than GS's.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Why crash guards?

Kalashnikov was right but there are certain circumstances..................

The triggering event was an aborted, month long tour of the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Outside Poughkeepsie, NY - stopped for gas - moved the bike to the far corner of the lot for safety - went inside for coffee. About 2 minutes later a kid comes in and says someone ran over my scoot. He apparently found a way to back over it, got out and looked, said the bike was OK, then drove off.

First time I've had a bike run over. The apparent damage was not too bad, mostly cosmetic but it did take out the turn signal, aeroflow tank guard and severely bent the road peg and mounts. What wasn't apparent at first is that it pulled one of the valve cover bolts completely out. That sheared the threads in the head, not the bolt. Now I'll have to 'helicoil' it.

That wouldn't have happened without the road pegs but since I take long trips, they are a necessity. ELF's don't give me the right position so the best protection is a cage.

I've been riding the 'naked R's' for almost 30 years now for the same reason you folks do. It's simply the best all around motorcycle for a variety of riding. I like to keep multiple configurations available so I can set up for short rides, 2 day rides or 1 month rides.

Soooooooo.............. sports fans. Any recommendations?

Again the GS guards will work. The only R1150R specific ones I can remember were in a Wunderlick catalog I believe.

tawill481

Believe me, I was not trying to be "cute".

Please explain "multiple configurations".

Just curious.

Multiple configurations?

Pretty simple:

The most extreme setup I run is for a trip of a week or more. That's an aeroflow windshield and tank wings. A modified Meyer Saddle. A Touring Wellness handlebar, 3 (yes - count 'em) piggybacked sets of bar-bax. A tank bag, cargo box and hard case saddle bags. A duffle holding camping gear is strapped on the passenger seat.

I can remove the tank bag, cargo box, duffle bag and saddle bags in slightly over one minute. Also swap the seat for a modified factory saddle quickly.

The front is a little different. Takes about 2-3 minutes to remove the Aeroflow and all bar-bax.

So, in less than 4 minutes I've gone from excursion to commuting setup. The only things not changed are the handlebars and the tank wings.

Right now I'm trying to figure a luggage setup where (using the same mounts) I can run big, excursion panners and swap quickly for something a bit more sleek and suitable for a 2-4 day trip.

tawill481

There is no difference between "messing about with boats" and "messing about with motorcycles". Both are still cheaper than paying for a shrink.

a set of Wunderlich bars on a 02 roadster I just sold. the previous owner installed them as this was his daily commuter in Ft Worth traffic...he said they worked! I layed bike in grass (on purpose) to see how effective...held bike off the ground. I left plastic head guards on anyway. they were not in the way for any routine maintenance issues
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

GS crash bars on Roadster.

Adding GS crash bars on a Roadster can significantly lessen your ground clearance. The GS guards that mount to the bottom of the crankcase make allowances for the Engine protection plates that sit 20mm below the sump. When I mocked up a set of touratech bars onto my 2004 R the lack of space below the engine was scary to look at.

So you're looking for crash guards to protect the bike if it gets run over?

I'd say you've won that lottery once...

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.

Crash bars

I bought a set of the SWMotech-?, I believe off of one of the online forums for my 04 Rockster. Only put them on for long highway trips, otherwise just have the BMW plastic ones. The extra piece of mind if having to lay it down is worth it to me. Plus, I would never have paid retail, but the forum deal was just too good. Have thought of leaving on all the time and adding some more driving lights, who knows.

+1 on SW Mototech. Very pleased with mine on an 041150R.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org