• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help-stuck gas cap

A

alans1959

My '77 R75/7 has, regrettably, sat unused for about 2 years. I am planning to get it going ASAP. When I went to remove the locking gas cap to inspect the tank, I found it will unlock but once past the "click resistance" will not screw off.
Where do I start to fix this? Any idea what's happening? The cap is extremely difficult to "snap" past the initial resistance and then just spins. Thanks for any and all helpful info.
Alan

These gas caps are not meant to spin on until they click, like you might find on a car. Not really sure why they have this feature on these caps...I only tighten mine until I get some general resistance and then stop...I also never lock my cap.

Anyway, you might try a trick to loop a thick rope through the handle, stand on the pegs, put the rope around your neck, and pull up with your neck. Try rotating the cap and see if it will release.

Otherwise, read this article, about half way down on gas caps. You may have to drill the cap to release the locking mechanism.

http://pweb.jps.net/~snowbum/fuelfltrs&petcocks.htm

The same thing just hapened to me and I just barely made it home not being able to put gas in my tank. I have an 82 non logo cap.The handle would just turn and ratchet.

When I got home I tried pulling up on it with out any luck and then I tried taping on the side of the loop handle with a plastic mallet and this got the cap unstuck.

I think I am going to drill it from the side in a couple of places and use large pop rivits to lock it together.

I now have no confidence that it won't hapen again if the plastic ratchet parts are worn out. I'm sure I made it worse by turning and turning it trying to get it loose at the gas station. I never locked it anyway and I would rather loose this option than risk being stranded somewhere with my gas cap realy stuck.

Has anyone done this repair? Where would be the best plase to drill? I'm thinking the higher the better but below the gasket.

I've never had to deal with this, but does the link in the previous post help any? It talks about drilling the cap in such a way to lock the top and bottom half, I presume defeating the locking mechanism...

My '77 R75/7 has, regrettably, sat unused for about 2 years. I am planning to get it going ASAP. When I went to remove the locking gas cap to inspect the tank, I found it will unlock but once past the "click resistance" will not screw off.
Where do I start to fix this? Any idea what's happening? The cap is extremely difficult to "snap" past the initial resistance and then just spins. Thanks for any and all helpful info.
Alan

Don't sweat it. I run into this frequently when I've accidentally tighten the gas cap too far with a "click". It's always "Oh crap!" when I do it.

Anyhow, it's already been stated. Simple put two fingers through the loop and pull UP like mad while unscrewing. It'll come off. One time a friend rode my R100 and REALLY tightened it down. I had to slide a screwdriver through the loop to give me enough leverage to pull up hard enough. Ugh!
Murphy

I've never had to deal with this, but does the link in the previous post help any? It talks about drilling the cap in such a way to lock the top and bottom half, I presume defeating the locking mechanism...

I just re-read it and it does help. It says to drill from the bottom of the cap into the next layer.

After reading Murphys post maybe I will rethink this and not do it. I tried the pulling up thing though until I thought I was going to break the handle.

Try taping it from the side, it worked for me. Just be careful not to nick the paint on your tank, I covered it with a towel first.

Thanks for the advice and for the link.

two-fer

take it to a certified BMW Tech. He'll be able to simply and easily unscrew it as tho it was never stuck at all, and give you the "what-kind-of-a-doofus-are-you? look" in the bargain.:dance

Locked up with dufus

Water pump pliers :banghead crush the sides remove and replace cap:brad

take it to a certified BMW Tech. He'll be able to simply and easily unscrew it as tho it was never stuck at all, and give you the "what-kind-of-a-doofus-are-you? look" in the bargain.:dance

Izzat the voice of experiance??? :stick :nyah

only funny 'cause it's true

Sadly, yes. I struggled w the gas cap for several days, finally surrendered, drove meekly to the dealer where they turned it, just as it's meant to turn, pulled it out as easily as if it were new, and looked at me like .....well, you can see I still have 'issues' because of the experience.:bottle

Back