• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shifter linkage adjustment

DFNTON

Have been noticing the shifting on my '86 K100RS being less than desirable lately. It will sometimes miss shifts going from 1st to 2nd and from 5th to 4th gears. What I mean by missing gears is that the transmission seems to be between gears. Making harder throws when shifting seems to help. Used to shift almost effortlessly compared to my R11RT and I am wondering if anyone is aware of an adjustment to correct this. Thanks.
Dave

The only external adjustment is the angle of the shift lever, unfortunately. Did you get new boots recently?

No, I did not get new boots. I really did not expect there to be any adjustment but thought I would ask anyway. You never know. The bike only has about 60k on it and I am surprised at this problem. The tranny works well otherwise and I can continue to shift it as I've learned to. Anyone know if this is a common problem and what the fix entails?

Do you use "dino" or synthetic oil in the trans? I found that switching to synthetic oil made shifting a lot more smoother.

Switched to synthetic (amsoil95-150) did help with smoothness , but not with missing gears with a weak throw of the lever. Thanks.

Have been noticing the shifting on my '86 K100RS being less than desirable lately. It will sometimes miss shifts going from 1st to 2nd and from 5th to 4th gears. What I mean by missing gears is that the transmission seems to be between gears. Making harder throws when shifting seems to help. Used to shift almost effortlessly compared to my R11RT and I am wondering if anyone is aware of an adjustment to correct this. Thanks.
Dave

Dave,
A simple question, does it shift harder now or is it just not going into gear? On my 85 K100 RT I had to lube the "Clutch Splines" because it was getting harder to shift. This was most notable when down shifting from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd. Symptoms were like it was stuck/locked in gear. I don't recall their being much change in shifting up.

I believe Paul Glaves published an article on this in his "Bench Wrenching" series in the ON magazine.

Roy

Last edited:
Hard to shift

On my 1987 K100 LT Imust make a positive shift, That is to upshift to another gear, I have to let off the gear lever completely, then positive shift to next higher gear, otherwise false neutral. The closer to redline I take it, the easier it shifts. Mostly I putt around and short shift at 3500-4000.

Downshifts flawlessly if shifted quickly and positively.

I took a 300 mile ride on the Talemina Byway with a new set of boots, that had a square toe (outlaw boots) and I missed 5th gear continually.

Ralph Sims

I guess that's it. Have not tried to remove all pressure from the shifter but will the next time out. Will also keep the revs up now that you mention it, I'm sure that will help. Many thanks.

I bought my bike from a HD/BMW dealer, and right away out of the box I had shift problems like yours. The dealer changed it at the first service with HD synthetic fluid, and has been really good since then, which is like 90,000 ago. Now, this past winter I had a non-dealer shop do the work (one that Peter Egan mentions using in Leanings from time to time, not to name names), and I am not sure what it is, but you know, I'm getting this same "'tween" shifting again like I used to get, so next chance I get I'm getting that Harley oil again. I guess if there's one thing Harley should know, it's oil.............

Back