• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning Gear

tgf429

Plasterman
I have been wearing my riding gear the last two weeks and it's very dirty. What is the best way to clean your jackets and riding pants?

Thanks

Tom

I toss mine in the washing machine and wash it using Nikwax techwash. I'd check the manufacturers reccomendation for your gear for guidlines.

I have been wearing my riding gear the last two weeks and it's very dirty. What is the best way to clean your jackets and riding pants?

Thanks
Tom

Laundry detergent gets most of the dirt out, but not all of it and thats apparent unless your suit is black.

I have a red/grey Aerostich and to really get the ground-in dirt out, I use Shout Stain Remover. I coat the whole suit (takes half a bottle which is cheap to start with) and then let it soak in the laundry tub for an hour. During that time I agitate the suit periodically. Rinse thoroughly.

I don't wash my suit in a washing machine...too hard on the suit over time. I only use the spin cycle to spin dry it. Hang to dry (or use the dryer). Coat with your favorite water repellant.

I've got a front loading washer. Its the agitator on top loaders that does the damage to fabrics over time.

I've got the yellow/blue BMW Airflow jacket and khaki Summer pants. (Also assorted Olympia and Joe Rocket gear in the household. I've washed all several times over the past couple years.

Remove pads. Liquid detergent (or the Nikwax stuff). Pre-treat really icky spots. Cold water, gentle cycle, extra rinse. Hang to dry...

P

+ 1 for Nikwax

I toss mine in the washing machine and wash it using Nikwax techwash. I'd check the manufacturers reccomendation for your gear for guidlines.

It is important to use products like Nikwax if your gear is made out of Goretex. Using regular detergent products will clog the pores of the membrane and render the little permeability useless. Also products like Nikwax also make a rain repellent (to be added in the rinse cycle ) or just like I do during a second pass in the washer. If your garment manufacurer allows it place it in a wram (not hot) dryer after the second treatment and the heat will reactivate the water repellent in your gear.

quite simple really and trust me it really works.

Cheeers

Denis R1200GS (I don't work for Nikwax btw):brow

One more thing when washing Gore-Tex - you should run it through the rinse cycle at least twice - and three times is even better - to ensure that all detergent residue is removed.

Any remaining detergent residue will prevent the Gore-Tex membrane from venting sweat and keeping rain out.

Back