• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is going to be unpopular

See ya!

Came in from NW Illinois a whole 120miles from the rally. This is the 1st BMW rally I attended. I attempted in the mid 90's to attend the Chicago Area BMWOA rally in Galena, Il and was so turned off by the attitude of the staff runnning the show I swore Id had it w/ rally's. Well its over 10 yrs later, Id so I figure Im back w/ BMW, Il go to the National seeing as its so close.

Well I gues I just dont get it, I have to pay for a camp site Im not going to use, full weekend passes only, no daily passes (what if I lived in West Bend, WI?) but I say to myself where else am I going to find all of these BMW oriented vendors right? I pay $70 for the wife and I, so I can buy lunch and walk around for 3 hours looking at stuff to buy. Im sure the vendors paid to be there, now why exactly did I have to pay all that money to come in? I just got back an hour ago, I loved to see so many BMW's in one place, but I wasted $70 and it wont happen again.

As I said this is not going to be popular, but let me point out some of the bigger turn offs for me.

- No daily passes for the locals. Being close to or near the host sight should have some advantage, but I guess not.

- Camping sucks, just my opinion, but Im not making you pay for my hotel room, why am I paying for a campsite Im not using

-Liability waivers! Let me tell you the next time I see a Harley bashing thread I will point out that I have never signed a waiver at a poker run. I dont see a half million waivers being passed out at the Sturgis Rally

Now I know everyone is all high about the rally, and I dont know where its going to be next year, but you probably arent goin to see me, as I see in ten years nothing has changed

Tom

Not everyone attends MOA rallies. Maybe you should just join that group.:thumb

sparkchaser1200

Well I gues I just dont get it, I have to pay for a camp site Im not going to use, full weekend passes only, no daily passes (what if I lived in West Bend, WI?) but I say to myself where else am I going to find all of these BMW oriented vendors right? I pay $70 for the wife and I, so I can buy lunch and walk around for 3 hours looking at stuff to buy. Im sure the vendors paid to be there, now why exactly did I have to pay all that money to come in? I just got back an hour ago, I loved to see so many BMW's in one place, but I wasted $70 and it wont happen again.

As I said this is not going to be popular, but let me point out some of the bigger turn offs for me.

- No daily passes for the locals. Being close to or near the host sight should have some advantage, but I guess not.

- Camping sucks, just my opinion, but Im not making you pay for my hotel room, why am I paying for a campsite Im not using

-Liability waivers! Let me tell you the next time I see a Harley bashing thread I will point out that I have never signed a waiver at a poker run. I dont see a half million waivers being passed out at the Sturgis Rally
Tom

It's too bad you didn't enjoy the experience. I think $35 is CHEAP. I've been to home shows and expos that cost more than that for a single day and would never attach the word 'FUN' to them! I am not a supporter of day passes, there is no telling WHO is going to show up when you open the gates to anyone and one of the things I think rally goers enjoy is some piece of mind that their stuff won't be messed with. In general, anyway. I've felt pretty secure just leaving the keys in my bike, and while I have been the subject of theft lately (not at the MOA rally), it was never at my camping spot.

As for waivers, we live in a litigious society, sad but true. People want to sue you for the slightest thing these days. Also, most places you buy a ticket for entrance (Six Flags for instance) has in small print that you release them from any liability. Nothing is formally signed like at the national, but it's there. If an HD poker run does not have some form of liability waiver, they are fools.

Camping is not a surcharge of the rally fee, it's a bonus should you care to take advantage of it. Not allowing camping wouldn't change the fee, the grounds still need to be rented, security needs to be hired, etc etc. It's a convenience to be able to stay on the grounds should an attendee choose to participate.

I got a hotel room, my choice because I wanted a nice shower and A/C. I don't feel I paid for something I didn't receive in the least.

I don't know what you expect out of a rally, but you clearly didn't get what you expected, so this isn't the event for you - now, or probably, ever. That's too bad. I view it as a chance to see friends from all over the US, explore an area I haven't been to before, meet new friends, explore town for interesting points of interest and food, find local microbrews, check out the bikes - their owners - their modifications. Take a BMW demo ride. Attend seminars to learn from someone who's been 'there'. Check out vendors wares for the latest and greatest gear, maybe that new jacket, or comfy boot. As a vendor, to hopefully make some money, meet customers who have ordered online, and get feedback (good or bad) on product. Maybe I'd even win a doorprize, or (as unlikely as it may be) a grand prize! Enjoy the live music in the evening, while sucking down a cold, local microbrew and sitting under the stars among thousands of friends.

It's not a carnival, an expo, concert, bike show or county fair... but it IS a little of each wrapped up in one package, and a WHOLE lot less expensive. That, and almost everyone attending rides... and has a story, or four, to share if you ask. I've never met a friendlier group of people than bikers, and none more so than those at BMW rallies.

That's why I go, that's what I get out of it, and it's worth $35 in my book... even if for only a day.

This was my first National Rally. I decided to camp and had a great time. At no point was I the least bit worried about my "stuff". If day passes were allowed I am not sure I would have felt as secure as I did.

While it might be possible to have the vendors outside the rally area so that they were available to "day trippers", I don't think that that is the whole point of a rally.

For me, at least half of the enjoyment is getting there. While I live about 800 miles from this year's site, I rode over 1400 miles to get there and enjoyed riding the western coast of Michigan and the eastern coast of Wisconsin as much as I enjoyed the rally itself.

I spent more money on hotels and gas getting to the rally than I spent during the three days I was at the rally (excluding the new seat I bought for my bike). I participated in several seminars (which was worth the price of admission alone) and enjoyed meeting fellow MOA members.

The ONLY thing I didn't enjoy about the rally was the lack of single women!

Well, last year I drove all of 25 miles to the Vermont Nat'l, didn't camp, and still volunteered 3 days after having just gotten out of hospital from major surgery. My first national at Brainard, I drove all the way from WI. It's just about being with other ppl who enjoy the same things. I saw so many old friends last year.

The cost is way cheap, I have noticed some local rallies approaching $60+, depending on facilities and services.

I live near close to Sturgis, Kentucky,,,and while I really had no intention or reason to go there to the Rally "Little Sturgis" this weekend, I was told the admission is $60.00. Think I will stay home for this one. The 30 I spent in Wisconsin seems reasonable to me if you are going to stay more than a few hours. I do agree for someone that just had a couple hours to stop in there should be some sort of price break. Although I cant think of how they would accomplish this. Possibly to refund part of the fee if you "check out" within a few hour timeframe?

The reason I go to any rally is the social aspect. It is a social occasion, a party, to meet with friends new and old. Too gawk at all the bikes, drink beer, eat food, talk, have fun, talk about bikes and rides, learn about your bike or my bike. I understand the riders frustration of no day passes and I wish there was a solution. I look at it as a once every 5-10 years chance to go to a National and I find it worth the cost. I couldn't make it this as I nurse my broken right leg after getting thrown off my R100Rt in May. I probably wouldn't gone broken leg or not. One its too far for me and in my job I don't get any time off (contractor). I like the to think of it as a rare occasion to be part of a big deal in a cool hobby. Next time find a buddy who is going also and give it another shot. They are a lot of fun.

Tell me why baby why baby why baby why, that you cry baby cry baby cry baby cry. I think there is a song here somewhere.

Priceless

Well, let's see:

I respectfully disagree with the notion of splitting the $30.00 fee (if pre-reg) into an "a la carte" menu of items. I, too have a job (35 years in construction) and I, too spent precious limited vacation days slabbing to the rally 1,100 miles away:
3 nights motel, $270 to get there.
round trip ferry ticket at $80.
3 nights hotel at the rally (I'm too arthritic to tent), $600 (I had the presidential suite, why not, I deserve it!).
2 nights motel to slab it home, $200.
meals, $300.
gas, $160.
farkles bought, $200.
benefit received: priceless.
The whole rally was electric! I went alone and met lots of really nice people, on the way, when I was there and on the way home. I was never a big-crowd person but this was, without a doubt, the best run event of any type that I have ever attended. I loved it from THU to SUN.
I have only been riding 6 years and this is my 3rd rally. I only stayed at Lima one day. I attended VT with my wife and stayed for 2 days.
To each his own, I guess.

This was my first BMW MOA rally. I'm still attending rally's as a passenger, and even though it was going to be a long ride, I insisted we take the F650CS to West Bend! I would sacrifice comfort so she could be at the big dance! My boyfriend thought I was crazy... We had left her home for Hiawatha you see and taken the PC800. But I wouldn't hear of it, not twice! We were going to arrive on Thursday but I was sidelined Wednesday with a migraine and ended up in the ER.
Thursday I insisted I could ride, even though I was still high as a kite loaded up on nice medications to make my head feel better. Dave, the voice of reason, said no, he would go to work, and I should sleep. So much to our dismay, we had to wait.

We arrived the Fair Grounds and I SHOUTED with GLEE! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Motorcycles everywhere... It was glorious! Would we do it again? YES! Are we going to Wyoming? YES! I told him I'll have my license by then and I'll go with or without him! We saw friends we already had, and I met plenty of fellow Veterans whom I bonded with (and Thank You for your Service to those I didn't meet!) and we made plenty of new friends who we hope to see along the way!

We had a blast and we appreciate all the hard work that was put into the rally by everyone. Thank you to all the vendors and people that showed up to work. You ARE APPRECIATED!

If you don't want to attend another rally, it's your perogitive. Oh well, right? It's not everyone's cup of tea. At one point I thought I might have been bored, but then a band started to play and that fixed it. Or I met someone and started chatting. I was so busy I didn't even realize I didn't get my daily nap until I collapsed into the tent exhausted at night! I can't wait for the Wisconsin Dells Rally! It will be completely different from this one, but just as fun in a water-soaked way! Cheers!

P.S. And for the F650 riders... the Chain Gang Jailbreak in the Clouds Rally in September in Mena, Arkansas might turn out to be my wedding with the Prof offciating as well! he offered it up at the since that's where Dave and I met in 2005 and we thought it sounds like a fantastic idea! Dave just has to get rid of his cold feet... :D Stay tuned to the Chain Gang website for info on that one. It won't be one to miss if it is!

Rally impressions from a new member

I hadn't' been to an MOA rally since the 1980's and I was most impressed with how much the popularity of this event has grown. My wife and I marveled at how well organized everything was. I've never seen so many people get along so well and be so friendly. We were shocked at one major short coming but this had little to do with the organizers. The surrounding towns (store owners)such as Germantown, Port Washington and Jackson did not seem eo be aware of the rally until it happened. Germantown for instance was a very pleasant little burg and the perfect venue for hundreds of BMW riders as they had several authentic German beer gardens and great German food. My GS was the only motorcycle parked on the main street for almost 2 hours on Friday! We Had some of the best Brats & kraut ever and the one place had 200 brands of beer. How many rally attendees knew about that?? After asking some locals where they go for their favorite fish fry we were directed to a place called, Lilli's (pronounced Lilly's)The place was filled with Germantown residents and the waitress to our surprise asked, "So what are all the motorcycles doing at the fairgrounds?" Again we were the only BMW folks sitting in this wonderful little restaurant only 10 miles from the rally site that actually had Wisconsin walleyed pike (not codfish) on the menu. I think there should be more advance contact with the locals or local chambers to take advantage of the goods & services that tie in so well with such a large group of hungry & thirsty rally goers. These were wonderful rustic towns but it seemed at least 75% used 'downtown', generic West Bend for food and entertainment. We can't wait for the next rally in WY 2008 which will be the first year my wife Elizabet rides in herself rather than on pillion.
Jim Starkey
R69s, 2001 1150GS, 1958 Ariel

Sorry you felt cheated. I had the best time of my life not in the saddle. The people I met made me feel like I was part of the "family". It was my first Rally of any kind. I will do my best to get my wife to let me go next year.:wow

markmacrae, JSTARKEY, usafchickie and 131145: I look forward to meeting you all and having a beer at Wyoming :thumb

Pay attention, naysayers

I live near close to Sturgis, Kentucky,,,and while I really had no intention or reason to go there to the Rally "Little Sturgis" this weekend, I was told the admission is $60.00. Think I will stay home for this one. The 30 I spent in Wisconsin seems reasonable to me if you are going to stay more than a few hours. I do agree for someone that just had a couple hours to stop in there should be some sort of price break. Although I cant think of how they would accomplish this. Possibly to refund part of the fee if you "check out" within a few hour timeframe?

Little Sturgis! I had the pleasure of attending back in the 90's. I think it was $25 then for all the fun you wanted. One shower house, little or no food on site, burnouts 24 hrs a day, free hayrack rides to show your assets to all, little or no sleep for 3 days. I believe there were day passes as well. Has it changed, or is it still a pretty wild ride?

You go for a reason, whatever it may be. If you know up front what to expect and you don't agree but still attend, you forfeit the right to complain. However, I suppose you could still offer an opinion, which was the spirit of the original post.

I read the posts in response to ahpd1992 and wanted to reply with my first post. I understand ahpd1992 points since I share the same cop work and traveled about the same distance from Plover, WI.

Last fall I purchased my first BMW and found the MOA on-line and decided to join in part because the rally was close to home. I actually took vacation time for the weekend to attend the rally for a couple days. My wife also agreed to camp(she hates to camp) even though her sister has a lake cabin near the rally. I convinced her to camp because the beer was priced right!

I would just like to add a couple of my $.02 thoughts. I see ahpd1992 points on a day pass but our virgin rally trip was a $30 steal for three days. The cost for one day would be expensive but having only serious riders inside was cool and safe. I wanted to talk with the Washington County deputies on duty at the rally and comment they signed up for some real easy OT. I found the time to attend a couple days and it was worth it.

I did not like the "attitude" some people responded to ahpd1992 instead of a positive explaination to the strengths of the rally pass. My wife commented that even I was having a "elite attitude" with my BMW as she rides a Honda. I don't think a lot of people have this feeling and I just tried to explain that people are just really proud of their bike(HD, Honda, BMW, ect.). I did love the registration gentleman from Conn. that commented that everyone is welcome when my wife stated she had a Honda.

The other thought I had was the lack of young people at the rally. I felt the under 21 sign at the beer tent was funny. I know a lot of families attended but the joke that I didn't know BMW made (cars)motorcycles is true with my peers. I don't know how to encourage young people into riding BMWs and attend the MOA rallys. I just think young people, that did not grow up riding in BMW families(my dad hates motorcycles), could be addressed.

We had a great time at the rally and I would love to take some of my limited vacation time to travel to Wyoming. I also thank all of the obvious effert made to make my virgin rally a positive experience and maybe I can talk my wife into a R1200R!

It was our second rally as a family, and my son has decided his first street bike would be a F650CS. Gotta start them young!

RallyWisconsin059.jpg

Bang for the buck?

Some years there are day-passes, some years there aren't. I think it's up to the Rally chair(s). No big deal- it's still a bargain. What can you do for $35 these days? And it's nice not to worry about who's walking around all our stuff!

I rode 2500 miles or so to get to the rally and back, spread over seven travel days. Fuel is a lot more expensive than it was on the way to Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch; so is a decent restaurant and a campsite or a room for the night.

The Lake Muchigan Ferry costs about twice what I remembered from last time- well, not quite, after the MOA discount. Thanks to the smart folks that arranged that one! The $20 savings bought me a nice dinner in Ludington while I waited for the boat-
:beer

As I put down my $35 at registration, I knew it was the best value I'd get anywhere on this trip- but then, I was there for the whole event, from set-up to tear-down and cleaning up.

This really isn't a spectator event. And if you go to the National expecting to 'get it' in a few hours or a single day, I think you've missed the point entirely. It's a complete package- would you go to Sturgis or Daytona for one day? And the long ride to get here is part of it, too- I enjoyed last year's rally being right next door, but definitely felt a little shorted by being that close. The ride is the destination!

Every so often I think about what it would be like to go to the Rally and just go to the Rally........ ....I've never done that at a National- maybe some day, but not next year. Helping the wheels turn is part of it, too.

For me the Rally is a participation thing. You get out of it what you put into it.

Try going just for the ride next time- and throw in a shift or three at registration or the beer garden to rub elbows with some of the other volunteers- and consider the rally itself as gravy!:wave

Different strokes- ymmv.
:type

Rally Rally?

Having belonged to another marquee club for many years, you can get "rallied" out. I think someone pointed it out, if rallies are not for you, then don't attend them. Its just like group riding, some people love it, others hate it.

The other club I belong to never (or at least rarely) includes camping in the registration fee. Interestingly, the cost for those rallies is just the same or more as a BMW rally. I would not expect to see much change in price if camping were dropped. And given the popularity of camping at BMW rallies, I would anticipate a large drop in attendance. I for one like to camp, so I appreciate the addition of camping at BMW rallies.

On site camping does make day passes more complicated (in my opinion). At this other brand, they often offer day passes, which just give you access to the vendors. I spent $15 for a day pass this year for the Honda Hoot, spent all of one hour at the Hoot, then continued on my way home. But in that case, the Hoot was not my destination, it was just a convenient stop.

Ultimately, offering or not offering day passes is up to the rally organizers. If I were organizing such a rally, I would probably not bother with day passes (more work). You really cannot get a rally experience through a day pass. I certainly did not at the Honda Hoot, I just got convenient access to a lot of MC vendors.

bill
waynesville, nc
AMA Life Member
GWRRA Life Member
IBA 108

I've always thought of rallies as those "all you can eat" places where you pay once and take advantage of whatever you want be it camping, seminars, vendors, etc. As they are run by Volunteers it is manageable that way. Having to split it out into a menu of camping/not camping, day/all weekend, etc. means a lot more volunteers needed and a lot more volunteer time spent working and not enjoying the Rally. Of course professionals could be hired, but that would mean any savings would in all likelihood vanish.

For $30 or $35 it is still one of the best bargains around.

Back