• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

This is going to be unpopular

A

ahpd1992

This is going to be unpopular!

Came in from NW Illinois a whole 120miles from the rally. This is the 1st BMW rally I attended. I attempted in the mid 90's to attend the Chicago Area BMWOA rally in Galena, Il and was so turned off by the attitude of the staff runnning the show I swore Id had it w/ rally's. Well its over 10 yrs later, Id so I figure Im back w/ BMW, Il go to the National seeing as its so close.

Well I gues I just dont get it, I have to pay for a camp site Im not going to use, full weekend passes only, no daily passes (what if I lived in West Bend, WI?) but I say to myself where else am I going to find all of these BMW oriented vendors right? I pay $70 for the wife and I, so I can buy lunch and walk around for 3 hours looking at stuff to buy. Im sure the vendors paid to be there, now why exactly did I have to pay all that money to come in? I just got back an hour ago, I loved to see so many BMW's in one place, but I wasted $70 and it wont happen again.

As I said this is not going to be popular, but let me point out some of the bigger turn offs for me.

- No daily passes for the locals. Being close to or near the host sight should have some advantage, but I guess not.

- Camping sucks, just my opinion, but Im not making you pay for my hotel room, why am I paying for a campsite Im not using

-Liability waivers! Let me tell you the next time I see a Harley bashing thread I will point out that I have never signed a waiver at a poker run. I dont see a half million waivers being passed out at the Sturgis Rally

Now I know everyone is all high about the rally, and I dont know where its going to be next year, but you probably arent goin to see me, as I see in ten years nothing has changed

Tom

I'd simply add that "you clearly don't get it" and you have not really "attended" a rally.......

A rally is not a show that you do to for a few hours to buy something......it is quite simply a whole lot more......and if I have to explain it......you probably won't get it....

Maybe someone better with words can help you.................

Just one quick question....do you have any BMW riding friends??

BTW, if you ever planned a large M/C riding event.....and knew that insurance was probably a good idea.....you would know why you were required to sign a wavier........to not have insurance would simply be irresponsible for an organization like the MOA.......

...... this is not going to be popular,.....
I'll grant you have that right. Most will just reply with a :wave .

I've fought, and surrendered to, the day pass issue. They will tell you it's all about security and logistics. Too bad they can't figure out that a different colored band for Saturday only with no prizes would suffice. Did you look around whiule you were there? Old aren't they? They don't even know why. But then, now I'm going to get the :nono .

Whatever. We have a lot of friends through BMWMOA and BMWRA. I just wish the clubs weren't so stuck up. Oops, I forgot. That reputation of being snobs is entirely ficticious. Feeling the :kiss

Now, page two ... :fight

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Did you put your tickets in the prize box? If you did, that is part of why you paid what you did.

I wish I could be there. Looking at the pictures this rally is top notch. Better than the other two nationals I have been too. Weather is beautiful. Location is beautiful. And there seems to be more vendors there than the other two I went to.

If you weren't camping on site I don't think you paid for a campsite unless you feel that part of your fee was to camp. I didn't camp at either national that I attended. I didn't pay any specific camping fee. I paid my 35 bucks regular entry like everyone else.

YMMV

Didn't Push My Buttons

Your thread didn't turn out to be "unpopular." It simply turned out to be lacking any credible arguement for your opinions.

Kindly consider another 10 year absence, and please....for your own good, do not join a debate team. You would be the weak link.

Regardless, Ride Alert!

Just one quick question....do you have any BMW riding friends??

Why yes I attended this noble rally with one of them. He is new to the brand, and had many of the same complaints as I did. As far as the raffles, an easy fix would be to pay for the raffle separately, Ive seen that at all kinds of other "M/C Events" I wont use the word rally as you will chastise me for misusing the word. To address the one day of my attendance, I have a job. Im a cop and I work off days so this was the only day I could get to your wonderful event...

As for comparison my wife does not ride, and only passengers when time allows. One of the M/C Events we made it to was HD's 100th...her opinions is there was no comparison in the laid back atmoshpere at the HD event. Not so here, I will gladly take another 10yr absence if that makes people happy, but then again none of you know me, if I showed up you wouldnt know the difference.

My BMW riding friends and I will be seeing you all soon, then again MB not

Just Skip It!

I am sitting here at home in SW Missouri. Am I sad about not attending the rally? Not at all.
Am I happy for those of my fellow BMW Owners who are enjoying spending their
vacation time at the rally? You bet I am!
Why? Quite simply, the large group scene is not for me. I enjoy my motorcycles and my involvement in BMWOA differently than some do. Some share my lack of interest in rallying, some revel in it.
Should I criticize those who enjoy the large get together. or doing group rides, or whatever is different from the way I enjoy this? Of course not.
You've now tried it, it didn't appeal, so what will you do next time? Be critical or...just skip it?

The apparent compulsion for affirmation from fellow riders of the Marque is the primary reason I left the Harley scene several years ago after 20+ years of being a "Harley Guy". BMW riders are probably the most ecclectic bunch of brand loyalists there is. If you don't enjoy the national rally, I am sure you can find others "in the fold" who share your particular level of interest and invovement in the sport.

No need to go away sulking!

Last edited:
I think that y'all must back up and realize that he was just stating an opinion. there is no call for all the insults and cheap shots that were slung at him. that, in my opinion, is certainly not the best way of "debating" either.

I think that y'all must back up and realize that he was just stating an opinion. there is no call for all the insults and cheap shots that were slung at him. that, in my opinion, is certainly not the best way of "debating" either.

My reply was in no way meant to be an insult or a cheap shot. If it was taken that way I apologize.

Attendance at rallies is not a requirement of membership. There are many in the MOA (including myself) who will probably never attend a rally, yet still enjoy some level of involvement with the MOA. To other members, the rallies are the high point of their year. Who is there to criticize another's preferences in these areas?

:clap
I totally respect your opinion. But for me,,

Being a local and crunched for time, I'm only going to only spend 5 hours or so at the rally on saturday, hangout, hit some seminars, buy a beer, hopefully see some friends, have lunch, take a test ride, maybe make a few new friends, maybe buy something, and it will cost me about $50,,,,,, a bargin in my book.

I am in total awe of the amount of hours that the volunteers put into this thing,,, some hundreds, if not thousands of hours for some key individuals to make it happen,,, what's that worth? My hats off to all of you.:clap

I'll be showing up Saturday morning about 10 AM, and gladly plunk down my $35.

If you don't want to thats ok,,

:wave

currently posting from inside my tent at the rally.

i think even if this rally were held in a fair ground 1 mile down the street from my house i would gladly pay the fee, camp and enjoy the company of all my friends.

i don't think i even looked at any of the vendors products.

different strokes i guess.

Enjoy all who attend

I thank those of you who are sticking up for a persons right to state an opinion. That being said the rally was put together well, I just didnt think it was worth it. This is meant in no way to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the weekend. To be fair I will tell you what I think were pluses of this rally.

-I loved the "recharging station" what a great idea for the campers and such. Most everyone has some electronic device to stay in touch w/ the home base...well done

-I was amazed at all the vendors willing to do on site installation, including complete exhaust systems. That was cool

-the facilities seemed nice and clean for a campground, though I will confess I no nothing of camping, its just not my thing

-again I will state seeing 5000+ BMW's in one place was something I wont forget soon, especially in the home state of The Motor Company

I hope everyone enjoys themselves, my criticisms were meat to be constructive, as a member and rally goer, I see myself as a customer. As a customer I feel I have a right to express what I dont like about a particular product or service.

Tom

thanks for sharing

Distance from my garage to the rally: 124 miles

Hours spent on the rally grounds in all: 8

Miles of cool roads that I hadn't ridden before in a state where I've lived for years: 300+

Old friends met at the rally & new friends made at the rally: 10+

Hassles in registering, getting freebies, buying stuff: 0

Satisfaction with event facilities and management: 100%

Great sunsets seen on my rides home: 2

Registration fee: $35

BMW MOA Rally 2007 Gem??tlichkeit: Priceless

Last edited:
Cost

I just went to the county fair last night with my family. We won free tickets on the radio. No admission cost for us. Free parking. Between pony rides and Carny food we probably spent almost as much money as a rally entrance fee, and would spend it again to see my little girl smile and whinny at the ponies again.

Many people would go to the same event and walk away in disgust at the ridiculously high prices on food. 6 bucks for a sandwich that isn't very good. 3 bucks for a corndog. 7 dollars for a smoothie. 4 dollars for zeppoles. etc etc etc.

Different strokes.

Back