Thread: Garmin 2610 = BMW Navigator 2???

Garmin 2610 = BMW Navigator 2???

Hi,

Any truth to the rumor that these units are the same?

Could one use Nav 2 mounting hardware to mount a 2610?
    BMWMOA #39038

Quote Originally Posted by awolkoff View Post
    Hi,

Any truth to the rumor that these units are the same?

Could one use Nav 2 mounting hardware to mount a 2610?
    They are the same basic unit but the Nav II has different functions that allow the use of the switches on the mount. At least that was what I was told. When I get my updates from Garmin it does list 2610 but does differentiate at least by name. I guess the only way to know for sure is to munt a straight 2610 and see if the functions work.

If you mount the 2610 in the Nav II cradle, it'll be powered, but the buttons the Nav II cradle has won't work.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

On the Road
    ...and the 2820 is the same as the navigator III. Except you cannot get XM functions on the Navigator, and the 2820 costs about $400 less. Get the StreetPilot.

Just a thought... if anyone has a Navigator cradle they're not using (defunct/dead Navigator) it would be real interesting to put the IR output from it on an oscilloscope and see what the difference in output pulses is from the remote control that comes with the Street Pilots..

Yeah - I'm thinking how could one hack the cradle to allow the buttons to work with a Street Pilot.. (darn BMW and proprietary stuff like that..)

Just a thought - one of those winter challenges sort of things.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

A down side to the BMW navigator versus the straight Garmin unit- the BMW Nav 1 does not read altitude over 9999 ft. I think they changed it on the Nav 2. I used one (a Nav 2) on a trip but never got high enough to find out if it would read. itry different ones on trips . I like the SP III best so far, though the Nuvi is nice.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterCop View Post
    ...and the 2820 is the same as the navigator III. Except you cannot get XM functions on the Navigator, and the 2820 costs about $400 less. Get the StreetPilot.
    Actually, Garmin indicated to me that the NavIII is a 2720 with Bluetooth added, rather than a 2820 with all the music features deleted. Either way ... it is way over priced.

I have the Navigator III ($1000 /eBay)
    In addition to the button cradle, it has bluetooth, better internal shock damping, better weatherproofing and more spill resistant screen.
    What it doesn't have is an audio IN jack to hookup to my Autocom mic.. it can't be hardwired for cell phone use ( I had to get the bluetooth adapter for the autocom)... and the audio OUT is on the cradle (which stays on the bike) so I can't plug it into my truck audio. That's a design flaw!
    Anyone who has used bluetooth on any device can attest to it being flakey, at best. The NavigatorIII will allow 2 devices to be paired... but it's a crap shoot as to which (if either) will work.
    I resigned myself to accept it as a GPS... not a communication center... it does an excellent job and the cradle hard buttons are a huge plus.
    Would I buy it again for the price I paid?... probably not.
    Buyer's remorse?... no... it's too cool.

I have seen used Navigator II's (no bluetooth) FS for < $350... That's a bargain!