• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Pants

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the Cortech gear.

So far the seat on the GS hasn't caused me any undue hardship, but then my longest ride on it has only been 400 miles. My real problem on the long trips seems to be my throttle wrist, but that is another topic altogether.....;)

RT RANDY said:
I starting riding the end of July in Dallas so my first pants were mesh from Tour Master with the name "Cortech". I used them in super hot weather here until October and they were surprisingly pretty cool and have decent armor for sure. I ended up using bicycle riding shorts underneath which have extra padding on the butt which helps for long rides using the stock RT seat.
I plan on going with a custom seat within the next couple of months.

What he said! /\
I

Jim:clap

TexMesh

I think I'm gonna go with a pair of First Gear TexMesh to match my summer jacket. Then I can wear shorts again! Anybody have them? Love 'em or hate 'em? Anybody know of ant low cost internet/mailorder venders? I got the jacket very cheap last year from new again leathers or something like that.

MarkF

Last edited:
I have the First Gear Hypertext Overpants. Holy cats are they good. This weekend when I left the house it was 18 degrees. No problem

Aerostich Darien pants year round, though I'm considering Darien Lite's this summer. They ain't cheap, but they just flat work.

Riding gear

Hey gang-
For most of my riding, I just got a new Joe Rocket Sonic Jacket (perforated) and will zip it to Joe Rocket Blaster pants (also perforated). The colder days will require switching to my old, reliable Tour Master Cortech Jacket with the liner. The really hot,humid days will see me in Joe Rocket Mesh pants and Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jacket.
I find Rocket apparel to have some well thought out features, and be well made for what I believe is a reasonable price. However, I'm lucky in that their off the rack sizes fit me perfect (6'1" and 185lbs. with more muscle than excess baggage). Each individual needs to find which manufacturer fits him or her best. There is plenty of great gear available, but the correct fit makes the difference to me.
As a side note, I've ordered from Competition Acc. many times over the years and never had a problem. But I have heard people had some issues. It might be some individual shipping outlets that Competition uses that is the cause. Hopefully it is a thing of the past. Cheers..........

Re: Riding gear

zoomnewm said:
Hey gang-
For most of my riding, I just got a new Joe Rocket Sonic Jacket (perforated) and will zip it to Joe Rocket Blaster pants (also perforated). The colder days will require switching to my old, reliable Tour Master Cortech Jacket with the liner. The really hot,humid days will see me in Joe Rocket Mesh pants and Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jacket.
I find Rocket apparel to have some well thought out features, and be well made for what I believe is a reasonable price. However, I'm lucky in that their off the rack sizes fit me perfect (6'1" and 185lbs. with more muscle than excess baggage). Each individual needs to find which manufacturer fits him or her best. There is plenty of great gear available, but the correct fit makes the difference to me.
As a side note, I've ordered from Competition Acc. many times over the years and never had a problem. But I have heard people had some issues. It might be some individual shipping outlets that Competition uses that is the cause. Hopefully it is a thing of the past. Cheers..........

Here here! What he said! :bliss

Jim :brow

Motoport/Cycleport

Back to your original question, Motoport makes very good quality clothing......they have been around for years. I've had the Voyager Ax pants and they are simply great. There is alot of truth in the saying " you get what you pay for " and in this case you get more.........

First Gear

I just purchased First Gear's Speed Jacket and Pants. I think, overall, it is the most versatile riding gear I've ever owned. The jacket's patented quilted liner with the wrap around "neck-up" will be great for cold weather riding. The zippered vents allow plenty of ventilation in hot weather riding, too, and provide far greater protection than mesh-type products. Personally, I'd stay away from mesh, but that is just my opinion. I'm sure it DOES beat just wearing a t-shirt, however.

In hot weather, the pants work great, and in cold weather, all one needs a pair of long-johns underneath (maybe light-weight fleece) and you're good to go.

With the two garments zipped together, the ride is great!

I highly recommend this set up...

Kinda surprised there's no posts along this thread re the good ol' one-piece Roadcrafter. After much thought, that's the way I've decided to go:

1. Reputation

2. Eliminates the temptation to leave home without donning pants, which is important to me, since half my riding is commuting. For trips, I always pack a light, lined windbreaker for 'walking around' at the destination.

3. Acceptable ('tho not ideal) for the occasional track day, while I decide if track days are something I want to do a lot of. If yes, I'll invest in leathers, but in the meantime...

4. Continued testimonials: '...the overwhelming favorite of the staff of this magazine', or someting to that effect from a recent issue of Cycle World.

I was THIS close to bidding on a couple of R'crafters on eBay recently when my bride said 'Fuggetaboutit, I'll by you a new one for your birthday!' That took care of the $$ issue!

For hot weather, I'll add my praise of the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants (don't forget to put on the pants!). I bought the first-generation Phoenix, and it's great -- well made, lots of armor, and the 'large' jacket and pants fit me perfect (6'2", 180 lb., 'tho there's a lot of adjustability built in), and it really flows air! The price is very reasonable -- I think I paid ~$240 for both.

Re Competition Accessories: They did go through some upheavals a couple of years ago (bankruptcy?, new management?), but I've ordered sporadically from them, both before and after that period, and never had a problem.

Well, 70F and sunny here in beautiful southeast CT on my day off...guess I'll rake the lawn (yea, right!!)

Cheers, John H

jhelming said:

2. Eliminates the temptation to leave home without donning pants, which is important to me, since half my riding is commuting. For trips, I always pack a light, lined windbreaker for 'walking around' at the destination.

For hot weather, I'll add my praise of the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants (don't forget to put on the pants!). I bought the first-generation Phoenix, and it's great -- well made, lots of armor, and the 'large' jacket and pants fit me perfect (6'2", 180 lb., 'tho there's a lot of adjustability built in), and it really flows air! ...Cheers, John H

John,

I rarely leave the house without pants. Is this really an issue for you? :D

jhelming said:
Geez, never thought of it that way. Do you 'spose that's why people stare at me when I leave the house?? ;- )

Could be.

Back in the old days I would occasionally leave the house without pants. I finally solved the issue by gaining enough weight that I became repugnant, even to myself, without pants on.:D

BMW Beauty said:
Jim, now that would have been a sight to see....:eek ,
Glad you gained enough weight to wear pants..... :p

Definitely a sight, but not what I would want most to see! Only a select few! ;)

Back