• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Request for Colorado riding info

dwestly

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are departing tomorrow morning from Tampa, riding cross country to Laguna Seca for the races, then back home. We'll be in Denver on the evening of the 15th, then staying in Grand Junction, CO the next night. We want to take the 16th just to ride across Colorado. We want to travel south of I-70 to cross the state, and are looking for recommendations on the best scenic roads to take thru the mountains. We won't have time to head up Mt Evans, but want to just take a nice ride through the state that day.

Any recommendations for the best scenic roads going east to west? Paved is necessary. I'm on a 1200GS, but she is on her VFR800, so nice pavement is a requirement.

Thanks!

Several routes to consider if wanting to make it to GJ from Denver in a reasonable amount of time.

1). Hwy 285 SW out of Denver to Buena Vista, north on Hwy 24 to Twin Lakes, west on Hwy 82 over Independence Pass to Aspen and on to Glenwood Springs and I-70 the rest of the way.

2). Further south, Hwy 50 across the state to GJ.

3). If ambitious and an early start, Hwy 50 to Sapinero west of Gunnison, Hwy 92 along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Hwy 65 over the Grand Mesa to GJ.

HTH, Steve

Other Great Rides

Other Great Rides with alternate endings..

Go south on I-25 to Walsenburg, go west on 160 over La Veta Passs (9000 ft. paved pass) towards Alamosa. If you have time, go on State Highway 150 to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Go through Alamosa towards Durango, then North on 550 to Telluride. Be sure and check out the Bridal Veil falls in Telluride. If you need to cut back east, the Gunnison loop State Highway 50 East to State Highway 285/24 bak towards Leadville and back to I-70. If heading West, go towards Delta on 92 then left or North on 65 over the Grand Mesa (Largest Mesa in the World), and back to I-70 Grand Mesa is such a great road on bikes.

As with the previous post, my Favorite is through Leadville to Twin Lakes to Aspen over i12,000 ft. Independence Pass on 82 (highest paved contigious road in the USA) but you could try another variation of turning south at Carbondale on 133, after Aspen, then come back east on State Highway 92 to the Black Canyon of Gunnison, then east or west on State Highway 50.

So many great places to see, but if your in Aspen, check out the Explorer bookstore for some rare first editions, around the world newspapers and the best (and sadly most expensive) homeade pies you will ever relish!

wish I could go!

Red- a Colorado native refugee held captive in Minnesota by life! ;)

I recommend Indy Pass too. It's gorgeous!

78938496-M.jpg

78936832-M.jpg

Why not go north of I-70 ? You could leave Denver and head up to Lyons via Boulder. Catch the highest continuous paved road in North America in Rocky Mountain National Park. Come out on the west side and head for Steamboat Springs and Craig.

What you doing in Grand Junction, I moved there 4 months ago, just bought a 650gs and there is SMALL dealer in GJ (but I bought my bike in Loveland)

Greatings from Grand Junction. I just arrived here this afternoon from Cortez. The roads already mentioned are great. Besides the Black Canyon, if you could somehow end up in Durango, Highway 550( The million Dollar Highway) going north to Ridgeway is as good as it gets.

I came across today from Moab,UT to Grand Junction and a local in Cortez told me to take Hwy 128 just north of Moab. Hwy 128 puts you about 40 miles west of Grand Junction on I-70. One of the best roads I've ridden for sure. It's about 45 miles through this canyon and it follows a river the whole way. You might consider riding it west bound after you leave Grand Junction.

I'll try to post some photos from today. Hope you ride with a CamelBak, itt got super dry hot the closer I got to Grand Junction.

Attachments

• 128-750.JPG
    128-750.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 87
One more pick from today. Grand Junction to Moab is about two and a half hours. If you go, take Hwy 128.

Attachments

• 128 again.JPG
    128 again.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 85
Several routes to consider if wanting to make it to GJ from Denver in a reasonable amount of time.

1). Hwy 285 SW out of Denver to Buena Vista, north on Hwy 24 to Twin Lakes, west on Hwy 82 over Independence Pass to Aspen and on to Glenwood Springs and I-70 the rest of the way.

2). Further south, Hwy 50 across the state to GJ.

3). If ambitious and an early start, Hwy 50 to Sapinero west of Gunnison, Hwy 92 along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Hwy 65 over the Grand Mesa to GJ.

HTH, Steve

+1 on #1

Ok, we made the CO part of the trip!

Well, based on everyone's comments, we took Hwy 285 out of Denver, to Buena Vista, then up 24 and 82 over Independence Pass. It was an AWESOME ride. We ended up in Aspen for lunch, then Grand Junction by the end of the day. Thanks to all for the road and trip recommendations! Tomorrow we're crossing Utah and into Nevada, then the next night in Tahoe before heading onto Laguna Seca for the races on the weekend.

We're running a blog about our trip, with pics. If anyone wants to take a peek, you can find it at http://radbikers.spaces.live.com

Thanks again for all the help!

Doug

Back