• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bicycle shopping

It took ~24hrs to come up with that?

BTW it seems that Boogerd, Dekker, Flecha, Niermann, Weening , and De Groot are still using theirs.

There might be a better chance with the guys from Astana.

F

I yield to your extensive expertise, sir, and apologize for attemting humor on this board, no matter how feeble....

try those CSC Cervelo bikes

There will be a few Cervelo bikes not in use after the season as Dave Zabriskie and Christian Vendevelde are leaving CSC to race for Jonathon Vaughters' Slipstream Team next year!

Along with all the other notations about fit, cost & fit being of primary importance.... test ride a number of bikes by different manufacturers, and (most importantly) of different frame materials. Some love the stiff responsiveness of Aluminum, some prefer the liveliness of Real Steel (that's me!), others love the totally dead absorption of CF, and pretty much everyone loves the feeling of Ti (but typically shudder at the price). Try them all, then once you've narrowed down the frame material you can concentrate on the manufacturer that best fits you (Euro spec'd bikes tend to be better for those with a longer torso/shorter legs, while American spec'd machines tend to be better for those with longer legs/shorter torsos).
I best love the feel of Ti, or Ti/Alu blends, but my wallet prefers the feel of Steel with better components at a lower price point. I went with a Lemond- it's Euro spec'd for fit, Campy components for BMW like quality (take longer to break in, but last nearly forever) and all in a steel chassis that has the responsiveness with road shock/energy absorption that i like.

I fell off my road bike recently, so I thought I would get a "city bike". I ended up getting this Specialized Diverge Elite, which is an "Adventure" bike, i.e. a Cycle Cross with softened frame geometry. But it's got Look clips, so I'll probably still fall off....:(

summmer 2017 019.jpg

I fell off my road bike recently, so I thought I would get a "city bike". I ended up getting this Specialized Diverge Elite, which is an "Adventure" bike, i.e. a Cycle Cross with softened frame geometry. But it's got Look clips, so I'll probably still fall off....:(

View attachment 64761

Nice bike Rinty!
Just came across this thread and I'm amazed it doesn't have a lot of traction since I would think more peeps ride a bicycle too...
I ride a Norco Threshold SL carbon Crossbike with Shimano MTB pedals as I ride a Santa Cruz MTB as well, using the same shoes and clips. You can use flat pedals and not clip in at all if you're afraid of falling...

I'm amazed it doesn't have a lot of traction since I would think more peeps ride a bicycle too...

Same here, bicycles and motorcycles seem to go together.

For Road bikes I have a Trek Domane 5.9
RAGBRAI Monday (2).jpg

Trek 2300
20160802_131026 - Copy.jpg

Also have a hybrid, Trek 7.5
P1000262.jpg

I have had a bicycle of some sort since a training wheel n00b. Generic hand me downs, Stingray clone,10 speed in Jr High, paper route rig with canvas bags (maybe why GS always caught my eye) and various road and mountain bikes and a unicycle.
Worst broken leg was from a game of chicken...I won, but lost against the teenagers:banghead

H got the bug later than I did, but she is the current maniac as far as wanting to ride,ride,ride. The last two years have us riding bicycles as much as motorcycles...I think it's a great balance

Anyways, our current machines...We seem to be a Cannondale family:dunno

Helen just stepped up to a new Cannondale Synapse full carbon with di2 Ultegra electronic shifting and disc brakes. I have had to pick up my pace ever since she upgraded from a CAAD7 which we tweaked to fit her but wasn't quite there. Did I mention maniac:laugh

P1010206.jpg

I still ride a Campy equipped CAAD4 Team Saeco...vintage 2002. Only a 7 speed compared to the new 11's, but I manage:whistle

DSCN0285.jpg

Our Mt Bikes are also "vintage", hers being a bit newer than mine. A bike shop guy restored the Super V for his girlfriend as a Christmas gift...she wanted an Iphone so I eased his pain!

DSCF1210.jpg

Back