• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking at F800S....with some questions

M

MKERRIGAN

Hi there,

I am new to BMWMOA and I have been looking at the F800S. This will be my first bike all together. I sat on a lowered 800S and it fit me perfect. I like the bike alot along with all the creature comforts. Just wondering if anyone has any complaints on the 800S..or any suggestions for me.

Also just curious on price ranges anyone has seen or paid. The 800S I am looking at is brand new, 8 miles on it, ABS, heated hand grips, on board computer, handle bars raised 1" and a lowered suspension, forks and seat. Also I would have a center stand added. The price I was quoted was around $13,500...just curious on what other people are seeing...

Thanks for any information! :wave

Last edited:
I am also wondering what prices people are getting their S and ST models for and with what options.

Thanks!

I traded a R1150R in on my 800S April 17th. My 800 has: abs, heated grips, the computer,the tire pressure monitor and the clear lenses. It listed for $11,800; it had a dealer $185 diagnostic charge and of course the freight. My 04 R1150R had 66,000 miles on it but I was still given over what the Kelly Blue Book said the trade in value was and that doesn't take into account the miles.
I am happy with the 800 and have 9300 miles on it. I took it in for the 600 mile service and the 6000 mile service and they were each 84 dollars. After the 600 mile service I've always done it myself on our other bikes but since this is a shim set up and all I may have the dealer do it. I did have a flat tire at 5500 miles and the tire pressure monitor worked wonderful and saved me; I was warned enough ahead of time to make it a mile to a garage to have it plugged; I know I may have been able to have done it myself and I have towing insurance. Anyway, I find it as comfortable as the R or the RT or RS or the airheads I have had in the past. I have done a 1006 mile day on it plus a 747 and a 708 mile day. It is a light fun bike; I still get a false neutral now and then but that is just because I am lazy. It gets really good mileage if the speed is held below 70mph. Actually, I have kept track of the cumalative miles per gallon and I am averaging a little over 59mpg.
Have fun!!!

Attachments

• wbsize.JPG
    wbsize.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 194
I have had an 800ST for 3 months now and it has over 13,000 kms on it. Great fun and a great ride.

For every thing and anything F800 related hop over to F800riders.org. It is an affiliated club so I am sure there will be no hard feelings for the referral.

You will find all the good and all (well, there is not so much actually) bad at that site. Membership is worldwide and you will know more about the bike than the dealers do.

I have an F800S, with on board PC, heated grips, TPM, and white turn signal lenses, bought in early March '07 in AZ and price was $11,365 plus tax, title and license. With a trade-in, mine was $10,500 out the door, and it included a first oil change free. The price $13,500 sounds high for an S with these options, and the only one I am missing that I know of is the security system.

Tweety1

Hi there,

I am new to BMWMOA and I have been looking at the F800S. This will be my first bike all together. I sat on a lowered 800S and it fit me perfect. I like the bike alot along with all the creature comforts. Just wondering if anyone has any complaints on the 800S..or any suggestions for me.

Also just curious on price ranges anyone has seen or paid. The 800S I am looking at is brand new, 8 miles on it, ABS, heated hand grips, on board computer, handle bars raised 1" and a lowered suspension, forks and seat. Also I would have a center stand added. The price I was quoted was around $13,500...just curious on what other people are seeing...

Thanks for any information! :wave

Is that $13,500 including tax/title?

My 800ST was nearly $13500 also. The big cost that seems to be missing from some of the comments above is the ABS system which adds almost $900.

I've had a couple of small start-up problems but they have been solved by the dealer. The bike runs well, delivers great fuel mileage, and is a blast to ride.

I've added GIVI bags and a matching GIVI topbox to provide luggage spae for an upcoming trip through Colorado and Wyoming.

I gave up a large Honda ST1300 for this bike. While I loved the ST, it was very heavy and also a bit thirsty for my needs. I've been getting a bit over 60 mpg and have gotten as high as 71 mpg, albeit with a very judicious throttle hand.

The only issue that I see so far is that many BMW owners do not recognize the F800 as a true BMW. So be it, whoever made it, its a great bike.

You will not be sorry. Get a blue one.

Heated Grips
ABS
TPM
OBC
White turn signal lenses
Center stand (yup, additional)

$12,684.00 out the door.

The more I ride this bike, the more I like it. Working on love but that's a big step. Lots of grunt. You get this bike over 5K and it's chews through the gears quickly. This bike wants to run fast, you may not even be in the mood and suddenly you're in 3rd doing 75 in a 45 zone. Ooops.

Graphitan Metallic.

Lest us not forget the S is some $500 to $1,000 less than the ST, and for that extra money one gets a center stand, extra fairing, handle bars on bracket, luggage rack, and luggage frame for saddle bags, plus color-matched fender and tank center line (the S's are matte black and that's how I liked mine).

Nonetheless, BMW or not, the bike has a low, low COG, and a minimal weight, and is a pleasure to ride. Torque is in tremendous abundence, I can lift the front wheel up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (I try not to, much anyway). And it is faster than most Rs, not quite as fast as the 160+ K bikes. The owners of those both drool in amazement, too, over the Brembo brakes ABS models comes with.

Riding mine around town mileage is 58-62 mpg, and on the road I see 65-72 all depending temperature (better mielage riding in cooler, higher, parts of AZ).

I just added some electrics through a new Marsee tank bag with e-kit, wires right to the Powerlet plug and the bag has a poly-clear covered compartment for e-goodies, like the Garmin nuvi 680 I use in my car, and now to use on the bike, with a pair of $24 helmet speakers. I just might try to figure out how to get the Valentine One in there too, but here in AZ speed cams are the rage, and the Garmin has that in POIs via a $25/yr subscription (and a settable pre-warning - mine is 1960 feet).

Now, if I could just get a few months ahead and past the 105 degree days. I can get back on that 2400 I have and into the 5-6 w/in the first 8 months. Who knows I just might hit 10K in a year, and this is my toy, as I can't go without a car, too. Courthouse trips on a bike just don't make judges happy.:rocker

PS mine is Sunset Yellow, a nice clean centerline of road Yellow.

The weak spot may be the electrical system. I used to have an F650CS and it was a marvelous ride in every way - except the electrical system which I would describe as marginal. It could not maintain voltage above 12 volts with all electrical and the small PIAA lights. The dealer assured me all was well and did check out the system.

If the F800 S and F800ST have the same electrical system as as the F650 a bit of caution may be in order.

How have the F800 folks out there faired with the electrical system.

The weak spot may be the electrical system. I used to have an F650CS and it was a marvelous ride in every way - except the electrical system which I would describe as marginal. It could not maintain voltage above 12 volts with all electrical and the small PIAA lights. The dealer assured me all was well and did check out the system.

If the F800 S and F800ST have the same electrical system as as the F650 a bit of caution may be in order.

How have the F800 folks out there faired with the electrical system.

Paul,
My spec sheet says charging system is 400 watts @ 14 volts. Is that the same as the F650?

Good Morning Wezul!

I have to confess that the dark side overwhelmed me and I traded the F650 for a fully farkled R1200GS.

Not sure what the specs were. I turned in all the paper work to MAX.

BMW of Daytona regularily has F800S models on Ebay for $8995. Usually with ABS and heated grips. I bought a bike from them a couple of years ago and rode it home. A local dealer has one for a similar price.

T

Back