Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New To BMWMOA!

KLENNOP

Smile New To BMWMOA!

Hello Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to put this so the "campfire" looked like a good place.

I joined this club for a couple of reasons:

1. I am looking to purchase my first "street bike" and I am looking for a good BMW.
    2. I am planning on attending the meet in West Bend WI, so I thought I should become a member.
    3. I am able to browse the flea market now and along the way read some forums to help me learn a thing or 2.

So my old boss and some other co-workers are big BMW fans so I decided to start looking twords BMW's for my first bike. My girlfriend is also looking for her first bike also and I think we found that the new 800's are perfect for her. I took one for a test ride this weekend at Nick's BMW in DePere WI. The visit there was the best experience I have ever had at a motorcycle dealership, good people, great knowledge, and most of all they didn't make you feel like you didn't fit in there.

I liked the F800 ST but I am thinking I would get bored with the power in a year or 2. I just don't want to spend over $10K for a bike then get accessories for it and want something new in a year.

Like I said this will be my first street bike I am 29yrs old and about 175lb, 5'11". I am looking for a sporty bike but that I can also ride a couple hundred miles without killing my body. I would like to be able to put bags on it also. My max price would be around $11,000. It is fine if the bike is used but I would like lower miles and possibly a warranty. I also really like the computer that the 800's have that shows your gas, gear, etc on it.

I love the GS 1200's but they seem a little pricey for me. I have also been told to look into the R1100S, which I do like the look of that bike also.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice and help!
    Last edited by klennop; 07-08-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klennop View Post
    I love the GS 1200's but they seem a little pricey for me. U gave also been told to look into the R1100S.

Any suggestions?
    Check out the 1150 GS... many describe as one of the best motorcycles ever. Good clean models with low miles are available for $7500 or thereabouts.

What type of riding have you been doing up until now?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Check out the 1150 GS... many describe as one of the best motorcycles ever. Good clean models with low miles are available for $7500 or thereabouts.

What type of riding have you been doing up until now?

Ian
    welcome aboard...

agreed as far as a 1150 GS, I know a guy in Appleton that has one...

floppp
    I am not really sure what you mean by "I like the F800ST but I am thinking I would get bored with the power in a year or 2." Then you say you would lean to a R1100S.

The F800 has the same bhp but more torque than the 1150s but weigh in 100lbs less. I am pretty sure that you didn't mean that the 800 has too much power.

If you want more than the 85 from those 2 models you need to go to the K series. But then you wouldn't get the 60mpg that the 800 sips.

KLENNOP
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppp View Post
    I am not really sure what you mean by "I like the F800ST but I am thinking I would get bored with the power in a year or 2." Then you say you would lean to a R1100S.

The F800 has the same bhp but more torque than the 1150s but weigh in 100lbs less. I am pretty sure that you didn't mean that the 800 has too much power.

If you want more than the 85 from those 2 models you need to go to the K series. But then you wouldn't get the 60mpg that the 800 sips.
    A friend of mine had mentioned that I should look into a R1100S. The R1100S has about 10 more hp and torque compared to the F800, however it is about 45lbs heavier. Finding a used R1100S would be cheaper than buying a new F800. So I am not sure how these 2 bikes would compare, it was just an option that a friend of mine mentioned.

No I didn't mean that the 800 had to much power. I think it may not have enough after getting used to it in a year or so. However the more I have been reading is that people are really impressed with the power of it. On my test ride, I was nervous because I was riding a new bike that wasn't mine so i didn't want to push it at all. I just don't want to spend 12G's on a bike that I would get sick of in a year or 2.

As for gas mileage, anything will get better than my lifted jeep which I get maybe 14 on the highway, you don't even want to know the city! I currently am not riding any bike besides a Gary Fisher. So this would be my first street motorcycle.

belquar
    My first was an R1100R. I loved that bike. Really great machine. I traded it in on my R1200CLC. My wife wanted to get something bigger and more comfortable for her to join me on. That was where we went. Then come the kids. I liked the CLC, but wanted something a little more versatile. So now I am riding my R1100GS.

All great bikes. If I could own them all I would. I really like the GS though. Does everything well.

Best advice...is test drive every model and purchase the one that moves you the most. Given your size....I don't think there is a model that will bore you with power. After all we live in the USA. Not like we are running triple digits all the time and I don't know a bike that can't hang otherwise.

YMMV

Good luck on your search and welcome aboard.

Brian

Hi, I find it hard to imagine that you wouldn't be happy with an 80 HP bike.

I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on bikes with 60 HP, on surfaces from freeways to grass tracks, with and without a stack of camping gear on board.

In my opinion, the three major items are;

1) comfortable seat height

2) comfortable riding position

3) low bike weight.

Once you have a bike that meets all three of those requirements, you'll find that 80 HP is more than you need.

Best wishes, welcome to the club..................Rod.

GSJIHAD
    Welcome, hope to meet you in West Bend.

I've had a couple of BMW's, a Triumph, some Yamaha dirts, and for the past 3 years a 04 1150 gs. I have to say, hands down, it's the best overall bike I've ever had. I doubt I will ever sell it and move on. It's a pig but its a healthy, strong, beautiful pig!

Cheers and welcome.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppp View Post

well, the stock 1150s are 95 hp and the R1100S is 98, i think that beats any of the current 800s

but considering weight, i'm betting the R1100S and the new 800s are in about the same performance ballpark, i haven't rode the 800 yet, but i'm guessing it might almost be a better bike for a new rider than the R1100S. The R1100S is heavy, but it's a manageable heavy. Boxers can be quirky a new 800 is going to be a more "traditional" setup in the layout of the engine and drive train. i love boxers, i think i always will, but they are different, and i'm not sure that is the different you are looking for.

as far as getting sick of it after a few years, depends on the type of riding you do. i sometimes wish my R1100S had a different type of power delivery and a few more ponys, i really noticed it riding with my friends recently, one on a Yamaha FZ1 (heavily moded) and the other on a new Duc 1098S, the R1100S is in no way in the league of either of those bikes.

i like distance, i like camping, i like doing 75 in a 50, but i'm not a speed freak. the R1100S fits that personality pretty well.

oh and welcome!!!
    Last edited by BubbaZanetti; 07-09-2007 at 02:16 AM.

Welcome aboard!

You will have a chance to swing a leg over many bikes and talk to thousands of people at the Rally.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    If you have not already planned on going to the Rally in West Bend this coming week, you should head on over. You can see more bikes and get more opinions in an hour or two there then ........

Welcome to the fun
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for advice as you can see by the opinions above.

Try them all before you buy. Other people have other ideas about what is the best bike. You need the best bike for you. Get one that moves your soul when you look at it.

See you in West Bend.

KLENNOP
    I am planning on going to the rally before I make any decision. That way I can not only talk to owners but I can see a lot of these bikes in person. It is a lot harder to find BMW owners compared to Jap bike owners, so the rally should help me out.

I like everything about the boxer motors, they have always reminded me of Subaru's and some of the Porsche's. Maybe that is the attraction I have to BMW's because they are different and also very safe compared to most bikes. However I have never ridden a boxer before but from what I have read, they are a bit different compared to a "normal" bike.

I am not a speed demon either, I do like to go fast but only as fast as I am comfortable with. See since the R1100S is close in performance, I could save some money and get a used one of those. I saw a couple in the flea market. However I did ride the F800ST and it has some creature comforts over the R1100S.

Another couple of questions:
    In some ads it says "prep". What is that supposed to mean that it is modded?
    Also would a used K series bike be too much for someone like me?

So I guess I will just wait and see what I can all find out and also talk to some folks at the rally. I am actually excited to see all the different bikes.
    Last edited by klennop; 07-09-2007 at 12:49 PM.

propel

Being a newbie myself...

I will be 50 this year and as far as first bikes I always wanted one too so my first one is an 07 K12GT. I now have close to 1500 miles on it and I love it. I don't think a K bike is too much bike for a first bike.

You cannot go wrong with a BMW and which ever one you choose will be the right one for you. Welcome to the club!

Not sure what the prep means either.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

Prep...

Without having done any proper research, iow, off the top, I would say prep means that the bikes as uncrated require a fair bit of assembly.
    Wherever you go, there you are.