Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would a new F650 GS make a good FIRST bike

scqtt
    Over the years I have owned lots & lots of motorcycles. I have had 7 BMWs. (1 F650 Dakar) of those 7 I still own 4 BMWs. The F650 is one of the bikes I sold that I really really regret, my 85 RZ350 too.

The F650 is just a great all around bike. I think it's hard to find a better all around motorcycle. It is very satisfying in any situation you throw at it. Is it a luxury touring bike? No but you would be surprised how comfortable it is all day long at 80MPH. Is it a sophisticated sportbike? No, but you can surprise guy on sportbikes. It is way more nimble than anyone suspects. Is it a MX bike? No, but you can get a taste of what off-road is like and will be surprised at where the F650 will take you. Did I mention how easy it is to commute on? Light, nimble, great visibility & 50 MPG + will put a smile on your face.

donkes
    Quote Originally Posted by chtucker View Post
    Should also say that I talked to the dealer in Lakewood/Denver and they were saying that BMW is not shipping the 650GS after September. The have 4 more bikes coming and that is it. I looked through the forum and couldnt figure out what was rumor and what wasn't
    They are going to the F800 GS series.

An 800 GS is going to be over $10,000 for sure.... The new three newer 650s are over 9k Kinda why the 650GS appealed to me...

gsdenny

My "loaded" 07

Here's a pick of my bike on the way to Wisconsin from Victoria, BC. 10 days of riding, 4600 miles. averaged 60-65 mpg. The only thing I added for the return trip home was an Alaska sheep skin.

This bike gets about 75-80 mpg while commuting to work.

Enjoy your trouble free and cheap to run bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dlearl476
    Another thing not previously mentioned, you might find a lot of dirt roads in your area that will be great fun on an F. I bought mine back in '99 after looking wistfully down too many dirt roads while on my K75 and wondering "I wonder where that road goes...."

I've been a few places and have had the opportunity to do a lot of riding and IMO, Colorado has the best dirt roads in America.
    Last edited by dlearl476; 07-22-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    "I wonder where that road goes...."
    That is the best reason I have ever read for owning a F650GS!

Hankles
    Quote Originally Posted by GSDenny View Post
    Here's a pick of my bike on the way to Wisconsin from Victoria, BC. 10 days of riding, 4600 miles. averaged 60-65 mpg. The only thing I added for the return trip home was an Alaska sheep skin.

This bike gets about 75-80 mpg while commuting to work.

Enjoy your trouble free and cheap to run bike.
    What brand and size of windscreen is on your 650? And, how do you like it?

Hankles

Rally Rat

Great Read ... Another Question

You'll see below I've got a K100LT right now, however, I've continued to look at F650. I've also continued to look at the KLR650. Because of the financial bracket I find myself in I keep leaning towards the KLR, however the F650 looks a little more comfortable over-all. Any input on the KLR vs the Beemer?

Quote Originally Posted by swbell View Post
    You'll see below I've got a K100LT right now, however, I've continued to look at F650. I've also continued to look at the KLR650. Because of the financial bracket I find myself in I keep leaning towards the KLR, however the F650 looks a little more comfortable over-all. Any input on the KLR vs the Beemer?
    I took a very hard look at the KLR last spring. I have ridden both, and the GS 650 is more comfortable. but if I had a choice I would pick the KLR and change the seat. more bang for the buck by a long shot.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

F650 vs KLR

You may want to do a little research on the KLR. There are many threads about it's propensity for using a LOT of oil (newer model only). The resale is nil and the first time you get out on some high speed roads with it some clown on an F650 will embarrass you. The build quality is not even close between the two. If you go to F650.com you will find MANY riders with well over 100K, some even 200K on the Rotax powered F650. I've put about 100,000 (combined) on two F650s, much of it at 80-90 for long periods of time when safe to do so. Fuel mileage ranges from 56=71mpg depending on where and how fast. Am I prejudiced? Sure! But after I sold my first F650 and bought an R1100RT, I missed it immediately. Will the F eat miles like the RT, no way but it will cruise all day well past legal speeds comfortably, handle almost like a motard on the curves and give you mile after mile of trouble free riding pleasure. Also, If you see that alluring gravel or dirt road it will handle it as well as any 430lb bike can. Sold the RT, bought another F and never looked back. The current KLR is just as big a pig as the F weight wise but with less power. No comparison!

F650 vs KLR

I have a '01 R1150GS that's set up for LD riding. Ya know 10.5 gal tank and more lights! I't's great for long range high speed travel. I also had a '01 KLR that I used for commuting to work and short range (<200 Miles/Day).

The KLR was good but it doesn't compare to a F650. There were a lot of things I did to get the KLR to a level that I'd travel distance on it. And the older style burned oil at sustained speeds also. Nine hours of 60 mph two lane travel was about 3/4 of a quart of oil. I sold the KLR when I found a '01 Dakar. It will do everything I did with the KLR. The Dakar will do MORE than the KLR. Better mileage, can run sustained interstate speeds all day long, (much more stable). It will go "off pavement" as well or better than the KLR. I wish the Dakar carried more fuel and had more watts to use. Guess I can't have everything

It's so good that I've considered selling the R1150GS. I keep it around for the riding I do where I need to cover ground and have a limited schedule. If I get to a place in life that I can take my time...the big GS is gone. Oh, one other plus....chain final drive.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Quote Originally Posted by swbell View Post
    I am another that has been the KLR route. I bought one because it was lighter and overall less expensive to own and operate. I found out that the KLR while lighter was not near the bike to ride to the dirt. My F650 is an 03 that I have had since 05. Now, the KLR is gone to a new home. Sure glad I kept the F650 during the KLR "trial period".
    Look around and you can pick up a good used F650 for little more than the KLR. I think you will be much happier with it!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

Rally Rat
    Great Feedback - Thanks! Right now I don't plan on giving up my K100LT either, want to keep it going for a while. Just dreaming - guess that is what you do when the snow/ice is on the roads here in MN....

Mine is for sale if anyone is looking for a 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

slimdog
    I think you will love this bike. I bought one last spring and fell in love with it immediately. Light weight, handles well, great fuel economy and a fantastic price. I took a 6 day 2600 mile trip late summer by myself and the only thing I wish I would have had is cruise control even though I avoided freeways the entire time. I have since added a Throttlemiester brand cruise control which is a slick product. I got the BMW bags with it which work great and added a taller windshield from Cee Bailey which helped with both wind noise and bugs. A great all around bike.