• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A little help with a Seminar

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
Howdy All-

I am giving my first seminar at the rally this year. The seminar I am giving is:
Software Mapping Programs - A Brief Comparison and Tips/Tricks on Saturday. Usually when I make presentations it is about products at work and I know the common questions so I can address them

Well as I am putting the finishing touches on the seminar, I realized I do not know what some of the questions that people might have about Software Mapping Programs.:dunno So this post is a blatant request for questions. I will try to answer them as best I can either at the seminar or here in the forum.

See you all in West Bend.:thumb

Here's some questions you will no doubt hear...

Question 1 - Which one will work on my Macbook?

Question 2 - Why won't Microsoft's MapPoint recognize my Garmin when I connect it via USB?

Question 3 - Which ones are free??

Question 4 - Do the roads really change that often that I NEED to buy the mapping update year over year?

Question 5 - Which ones offer the best construction updates?

Question 6 - Can I print a TripTik?

Question 7 - How can I print the text bigger so I can read it in my tank bag?

Cheers!

So far I've only used the software that came with my Garmin StreetPilot 2610. Is other software compatible, so I can mark waypoints and routes and download them to the 2610?

When I tell my 2610 to find the fastest route, do any of my pre-set preferences still control the route? Which ones?

If I eventually upgrade to a newer GPS, such as the Zumo, will I be able to upload my waypoints and routes to it from my old software? Do the newer GPS units use new, but incompatible software that won't save my 2610 info?

What mapping software do you recommend? (OK, so this may force you to repeat what you wrote in your recent article.) What GPS units is it compatible with?

See you in West Bend, Brad.

May not be totally relevant to your seminar but just a few thoughts;

-- What is this Via, Waypoint stuff?

-- Why do I have to create a route?

-- Why do I hear announcements at certain times and not others?

-- Why can I not just draw a line to where ever I want to go?

-- Do I really need to buy updates every year?

-- Can I install more than one map?

-- How do I get this to work on another PC?

-- Why doesn't the (road, restaurant, out-house) show up on my map?

-- Differences between mapping software and the maps themselves.

Thanks for the questions... I think I am going to be doing some editing. So keep them coming.

Also Sean Franklin is going to be presenting a GPS seminar that might be helpful as well.

What's the difference between Deg Min Sec and Dec.decimal, and why should I care?

How do I input a lat/lon coordinate in Streets & Trips which likes decimal notation, but my position is in deg min sec?

Is there any functional reason to pay for GPSU rather than keep using the free version?

Which is better - GPSU or gpsbabel?

What's the name and address of that nice English lady in my GPS?

Nuvi question

Can I transfer Trips and maps routes from my PC to my Garmin Nuvi?

Thanks

Rodger

To be honest if I hadn't flashed an upgrade to the NavIII a couple nights ago I would not have known the answer. And this assumes jwhite518 is running a Garmin.

I dunno, we call ours DiDi - much nicer than TomTom! I just LOVE the bored way she says 'recalculating'...reminds me of Holly on Red Dwarf or Marvin the Paranoid Android..

Cheryl

Which one will let me map where IÔÇÖve been?
Which one will let me pinpoint locations I want to remember?
Which ones work with my Macs?
Can I use them in small airplanes to record exact locations, and altitude?
Which ones are portable for use in cars and small planes, besides motorcycles?
Is there a ÔÇ£GPS for DummyÔÇÖsÔÇØ book?
Which ones can display lakes, rivers and ground elevation?
Can any GPS unit give me sunrise and sunset times?
Can GPS units tell me at what angle from north will the sun set and rise?

What time is your seminar? And thanks for taking the time and effort to help folks like me!!

I dunno, we call ours DiDi - much nicer than TomTom! I just LOVE the bored way she says 'recalculating'...reminds me of Holly on Red Dwarf or Marvin the Paranoid Android..

Cheryl

That's so funny! I don't have audio on the bike but we do use the same unit in the car occaisionally. We were on the road to somewhere and we kept straying from the planned route and every time she'd say "recalculating" we'd laugh out loud. Like "she" was put out or something! :laugh

I don't like the way streets disappear when you are zooming out. My paper map doesn't do that. Why does my software map?

Howdy All-

I am giving my first seminar at the rally this year. The seminar I am giving is:
Software Mapping Programs - A Brief Comparison and Tips/Tricks on Saturday. Usually when I make presentations it is about products at work and I know the common questions so I can address them

Well as I am putting the finishing touches on the seminar, I realized I do not know what some of the questions that people might have about Software Mapping Programs.:dunno So this post is a blatant request for questions. I will try to answer them as best I can either at the seminar or here in the forum.

See you all in West Bend.:thumb

Brad,
How about creating map files of the rides you just took. I have been using the magellan roadmate for the last 2 years. We create a desired route but often venture off the plan as we see more things we want to explore. What features exist to capture the new route and then save the route and send it to your budies?

Gmac

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to be rewriting the seminar... also like for some of these questions you may want to go to Sean's seminars on GPS. I will do my best though.

Bradfords Program was a WINNER!

Just want to thank Bradford publically for his great program on Maping Software. His brief PowerPoint presentation and side by side comparisons of MS Streets & Trips, Map Source and Deloreme Street Atlas really helped clarify the capabilities of each. Honest opinions were exchanged and everybody that I sat near, felt that it was very worthwhile.

Way to go, big guy. You did a great job.

powerpoint presentations

Hey Brad, would you be willing to post your Powerpoint file online for those of us who missed your presentation?

(So many things to do, so little time)

Back