• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dyna Beads?

B

bbmw

I just got the July 2007 BMWMOA Magazine.
There is a product review article about Dyna Beads and I would like to know if anyone has used this and if it works like the article says?

I've used them for 8k in the set of ME880's on my CLC right now. I took all of the weights off the tires when I added the beads. I haven't noticed any different feel to the bike. No wobble in the tires and they are wearing even I guess. 8k on a set of ME880's is just getting warmed up. I got the idea to use them from another Chromehead who has 2 or 3 times the mileage I have.

I don't know if they work, but I have mounted tires without balancing and had no problems so I'm not sure that is really a definitive test. Things like this are tough to really test. To really be tested you would need to ride on the several sets of tires before and after adding them without knowing whether they had them in them or not until after the testing was done.

j

I actually rode my bike for a week with the new tires unbalanced before I added the beads. To be honest I can't tell a difference. If you could find a tire that really acts up without weights, then you could put the beads through a good test.

balance tires

I have seen the web site when looking around for an alternative to lead weights. I have used PJ-1 for 20+ years on or in my tires. Not only balances the tire but will work as a stop leak incase of a puncture.
I ride everyday or as much as possible. Take lots of trips.
Tires I use are dunlop, 28,000 to 31,000 miles off the rear tire. Front tires in the 35,000 mile area.
PJ-1 spreads itself on the inside of the outside tread. Keeping the tire face cooler. Figure that and living in the state of Minnesota gives my tires longevity.

All sorts of ideas are out there for balancing act... eh?

tim lindstrom
91k100lt

Dyna Beads

Yes I put them in my wife's SV 650 and they work great. I will use them in my RT when I change tires.

I have seen the web site when looking around for an alternative to lead weights. I have used PJ-1 for 20+ years on or in my tires. Not only balances the tire but will work as a stop leak incase of a puncture.
I ride everyday or as much as possible. Take lots of trips.
Tires I use are dunlop, 28,000 to 31,000 miles off the rear tire. Front tires in the 35,000 mile area.
PJ-1 spreads itself on the inside of the outside tread. Keeping the tire face cooler. Figure that and living in the state of Minnesota gives my tires longevity.

All sorts of ideas are out there for balancing act... eh?

tim lindstrom
91k100lt

Is that PJ-1 water based? I used some kind of flat proof and later found my wheels horribly corroded. Even pitted at the beads to the point that they would not seal with a new tire. I ended up smoothing things up with a 3M abrasive rust removal wheel.

I just got the July 2007 BMWMOA Magazine.
There is a product review article about Dyna Beads and I would like to know if anyone has used this and if it works like the article says?

I believe they do.
:thumb
I have a 1975 Yamaha RD350 bone stock. each wheel has fairly new tires and
each wheel had a spoke weight of .7 gram. I rode this bike on a known smooth
road at various speeds. As you may know this is a 2 cyl. 2stroke that has its own unique engine vibs felt through the handle bars, taking care to mentally note
road feel, engine vibs etc., I then removed the spoke weights and added the Dyna Beads. Re-rode the same section of road, same procedure, and there was a marked reduction in felt vibrations through the handlebars and seat.
I had thought the wheels were balanced, now they really are.

So don't :banghead just get em and use em. Even if you don't like the result,(which you will)
The $$$$ are minimal.

Rob

Originally Posted by HFbmw

Huh? Missing a decimal point? Does anybody else get this kind of mileage?

I bet he is talking of the Elite II touring tire. I don't know how long they last. I have read of 20,000+ miles on rear tires on several forums. I have a set on a 87 K100LT. Don't know the milage, they looked brand new when I bought the bike. 7,000+ miles later and they still look brand new.

I don't think they are for peg draggers.

No longer budding, in full bloom.
Ralph Sims

Back