• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

newbie looking for throttle syncing experience with veteran wrench in New York

kzilla

:help

I own an 2000 r1100 rt and have moderate wrenching experience: valve adj, all fluids, cable replacement, etc. but have never sync the throttles before. The dealer has.
I own a twinmax and would be happy to meet you at your home or destination convenient for you. I have read the TBSD (throttle bottle syncing for dummies and Kulow and Co's. tech topics as well.) I still would like to get a hands on demonstration from a confident wrencher. Happy to supply the beer and good company.:drink

I live in Dutchess County and commute to Long Island on occasion. Anyone who lives on that route or nearby feel free to drop me a line.:type

thanks.

Last edited:
I don't live in New York, so can't do it with you, but just wanted to say that given all else that you have done, this is simpler than just about anything else. Goes very easy and quickly with a TwinMax. The TwinMax instructions should be followed to insure that you have the unit itself zeroed out before you start the bike, but other than that and having a warmed up engine to begin with, its a snap. I find it goes so quickly that I have never had the need to set up a fan blowing on the engine. By the way, I have a 2001 RT and have found no need for further adjustments the last two services.

carb sync

I have never synced BMW R carbs, but have many times on 2 carb v-twins. It is not hard. On most brands one carb is not adjustable, it is the baseline. You balance the other carn vacum to it.

The cheapest and most sensitive carb balancer can be found at http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

I use 2 stroke oil because it is usually died to see better and if you knock one hose off and the engine ingests the oil, it will just burn it. No harm done. (Not my first rodeo).

You can build the manometer for under $5.

Ralph Sims

hey guys- check the date. beamercon is "a few miles", and 4 years from CT!!

i've noticed a rash of zombie resurrections of late. not sure why its happening :dunno, but reviving these long dead threads sure can create confusion. :scratch

Back