• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gas availability

You really can't depend of your gas mileage when traveling through the vast nothing (it does have it's own kind of beauty). Running into a 35/40 MPH head wind can do some nasty things to your MPG. Best to be careful, take a break, hydrate and fill up at half a tank.
:wave
View attachment 62254

Not trying to hijack but...you mentioned the beauty of the vast nothingness....and your right :thumb

And yes....when out west if ya see gas....buy gas.

You really can't depend of your gas mileage when traveling through the vast nothing (it does have it's own kind of beauty). Running into a 35/40 MPH head wind can do some nasty things to your MPG. Best to be careful, take a break, hydrate and fill up at half a tank.

So can 20 over the speed limit, and some of those limits out west are way high to begin with. Some advice here: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag6-p58-62.pdf

Higher speeds = less mpg's.

While there can be routes plotted with little access to gas, I think it is a little overstated, especially in the last few years as gas station/convenience stores have popped up all over. Gas is available on most roads, and with a little route planning, you will never run out. I would also agree with the suggestions to carry plenty of water. Personally, I use a camelback and drink continuously as I ride. Dehydration can be really, really bad for you. Remember, you need to drink enough so that you need to pee every fuel stop or more, and if your pee is dark yellow, drink more!

When I went on my trip south from Seattle to Utah a few weeks ago, I used Bing maps to plot my gas station stops. You plot your route, then click on an icon that will show where gas stations are located.

Chris

OK .. riding my 2016 RT out and should be OK for gas from Charlotte to SLC and back. My long time riding buddy taught me a long time ago "never pass up the opportunity to pee and top off ... oh and never trust a fart! But my question is about octane?? Both my BMW's run fine on mid-grade but have never had to run on regular? Has anyone used octane booster? Is it needed?

You'll be fine finding mid grade along that entire route and finding gas will not be an issue what so ever even riding full to low fuel light.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You'll be fine finding mid grade along that entire route and finding gas will not be an issue what so ever even riding full to low fuel light.

Cool! In prior years I had experienced premium gas being spotty int he mid-west. Now if you can keep the wind down and temps cool!

Cool! In prior years I had experienced premium gas being spotty int he mid-west. Now if you can keep the wind down and temps cool!
Further past slc and up in Western Nebraska and Wyoming you'll find 85 and 90 octane only but slc and east no issue.

You're on your own in the blast furnace.

Further past slc and up in Western Nebraska and Wyoming you'll find 85 and 90 octane only but slc and east no issue.

You're on your own in the blast furnace.

Thanks again .... I have already been checking weather sites to see what time sunrise is and hope to be rolling at sun up and get most of my daily miles in before noon. Planning about 300 mile days should be OK and I will top off gas whenever I stop.

Unless you are carrying aux fuel, it's always a good idea when traveling in the west to work in the top half of your tank.

This ^, types the man who filled up his GSA in Cedar City, UT, one cold September morn and was so overjoyed to finally be out of snow in rain, he forgot to top off in Panaca, NV. It's 288 miles between Cedar City and Tonopah, NV, the next gas. You'd be amazed how much you can stretch a GSA's range by riding 55 mph in a full tuck, ahem.

Back