• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

As part of the Clan Campbell, I'm familiar with the cabre toss, but the photo of that young fella', looks like he's trying to steal a giant cigarette.

Woodgrain

Yes! About $75 and that just for the motorcycle.

Nothing is set in stone or even wet cement. Picking a date is always a no win situation. Conflicts are inevitable. Later than this date and the weather starts getting bad. And the present date coincides with a local folk festival.

Open to all suggestions.

I went on line last night and checked rates. It was 105 for a bike and 200 something for two passengers. They have no way to make a reservation for two adults and two bikes, just two adults and one bike, so it really would cost us $400to save a day. Also, if you are going from Portland the ferry leaves at 08:00 so you will need to post up the nearby the night before. If you are coming south from Yarmouth the ferry leaves at 16:00 and it is just under six hours so you may want a place in Portland as you will arrive at 22:00.

I have other plans in August but I am considering spending the week after the fourth on the Cabot Trail if I don't go to Wisconsin. I would really like to do a nice relaxed few days touring a great new spot and while the Cabot Trail fits this bill, unfortunately another trip from RI. through / around Chicago doesn't. I would really like to do both but I am taking a lot of time in August for the Iron Butt Rally. This is definately not a suggestion to schedule this during the National, I am sure it is going to be fantastic.

RedRider
I have done the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs. I would rather ride.....
Rob Nye
I went on line last night and checked rates. It was 105 for a bike and 200 something for two passengers. They have no way to make a reservation for two adults and two bikes, just two adults and one bike, so it really would cost us $400to save a day.
OUCH!

Just crunched the numbers using Streets and Trips. From Ballston Spa, NY to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1264 miles one way or 19 hours in the saddle.

Gas one way is $81.

Scenic Maine with all its rock piles and pine trees gets better all the time.

From Bristol, RI to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1073 Miles with estimated riding time of 17 hrs and 34 minutes. Looks like a perfect day for an Iron Butt rider. Just to Halifax the distance is 759 miles. Bristol now added to post #13 in this thread.

Gas one way to Meat Cove estimated to be $73.

Inputs were were 45 mpg and $2.90 a gallon for gas.

More Mile Numbers to Consider

in addition to Paul's numbers I add the following:

Portland to Moncton (NB) = 391 (slab)

Portland to Moncton (NB) on Route 1 = 468 (pretty but slow without many options) However, there is a great little ferry running Campobello Island...Deer Island .... and then landing in New Brunswick. This one's great fun.

Moncton to Halifax = 159 (slab but there is a ferry in Saint John with goes to Digby, Nova Scotia. Doesn't save time or money but does bring you up through the gorgeous Annapolis Valley)

Halifax to Larry's River =197

or...if not Halifax
Moncton to Larry's River = 237

Larry's River to Meat Cove = 200

or... if not Larry's River :(
Moncton to Meat Cove = 356 (...but you'll miss the Well Flung MC Tire Toss event!)

Decisions decisions.... -Bob

This all sounds like loads of fun. I hope the stars line up right for me to go. Means the wife will have to take off work to take care of our babies for me to go play.

I doubt I will be able to convince her to drag them up there in the minivan while I run around on the bike.

But this all sounds like loads of fun. Any divers sign up for the trip? I am certified. We could swim for our bugs. YUM. Hand pick the best ones.

Oh the anticipation.

Cool.

Dive for Dinner

Diving for dinner sounds like fun,but since the waters around the Cape are about 55 F on a good day,I'll have my dinner in the diner....heh...heh . Your Moosehead will be on me.:thumb
P.S. I think that diving for lobster in NS may be considered Poaching if one does not have a permit.....:dunno

Diving for Dinner

Sounds like fun but the waters around the Cape are about 55F on a good day.How about Dinner in the Diner......and the Moosehead is on me....heh...heh:thumb

MapNovaScotia.jpg

Numbers on the map:
1. Halifax
2. Larry's River
3. Meat's Cove

Halifax to Larry's River 197 Miles
Larry's River To Meat Cove 200 Miles

Useful Information for those that like to plan ahead
502 383 2379 is telephone number for
Meat Cove Campground (no website)

Nearby campground is
Big Intervale Campground
Their website can be found at
www.pc.gc.ca\pn-np\ns\cbreton

Need a website for motorcycle travel in Canada
www.motorcycletourguidens.com

For Nova Scotia visitor's information and reservations, call 1-800-565-0000. Other trails besides the Cabot Trail, the Ceilidh Trail and the Brad d'Or Lakes Scenic Drive, are the Evangeline Trail, Glooscap Trail, and the Sunrise Trail, all covered in the above visitor's information toll free number. Be sure to visit Tour Canada's website at http://www.tourcanada.com/ The sound effects alone are worth the visit.

RedRider:
Sounds like fun but the waters around the Cape are about 55F on a good day.How about Dinner in the Diner......and the Moosehead is on me....heh...heh

You are on. How wonderful! The last time Americans attempted to invade Canada, American forces were repeatedly repulsed by General Isaac Brock. And in retaliation there was that unfortunate incident Francis Scott Key wrote about. :laugh

Last edited:
Re check fuel costing

OUCH!

Just crunched the numbers using Streets and Trips. From Ballston Spa, NY to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1264 miles one way or 19 hours in the saddle.

Gas one way is $81.

From Bristol, RI to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1073 Miles with estimated riding time of 17 hrs and 34 minutes. Looks like a perfect day for an Iron Butt rider. Just to Halifax the distance is 759 miles. Bristol now added to post #13 in this thread.

:banghead Better check that calculation again last year the price of prem was
123'9 per liter at wreck cove Irvine, and we have just starting to recover from 2 major oil refinery fires Esso, Shell Montreal. Ask Red Rider what the current fuel price is in Montreal? Just my two cents
and the fuel price in Oshawa is @ 99'4 per liter, so check the fuel cost by calling Irving fuels, New Brunswick,Nova scotia, listed here for the members
http://www.newbrunswickgasprices.com/index.aspx
http://www.halifaxgasprices.com/
I may cancell out of the planned Montreal ride and attened this great rally,As I have somewhere to stay in Louisburg.N.S:thumb :brad

Michael Rich
Ve3CEH

Up the Revolution; "Give Back Maine"

Re check fuel costing

OUCH!

Gas one way is $81.

:banghead Better check that calculation again last year the price of prem was
123'9 per liter at wreck cove Irvine, and we have just starting to recover from 2 major oil refinery fires Esso, Shell Montreal. Ask Red Rider what the current fuel price is in Montreal? Just my two cents
and the fuel price in Oshawa is @ 99'4 per liter, so check the fuel cost by calling Irving fuels, New Brunswick,Nova scotia, listed here for the members
http://www.newbrunswickgasprices.com/index.aspx
http://www.halifaxgasprices.com/
I may cancell out of the planned Montreal ride and attened this great rally,As I have somewhere to stay in Louisburg.N.S:thumb :brad
and I fogot to mention the new 104 toll booth 5 bucks to go over the new hiway pass.
Michael Rich
Ve3CEH

Up the Revolution; "Give Back Maine"

I would encourage any visitor to Nova Scotia to visit Fort Louisbourg http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/ ... and related French history, follow the settlement of the Acadians here. Fascinating and sad history. Larry's River is one of the original Acadian fishing villages. Come and enjoy. -Bob

I love Nova Scotia, and have been there five(?) times on a bike. Wonderful place. I may try to go, if I'm able to. I like to eat dinner in Cheticamp at "The Harbor" restaurant that sits atop a cliff facing west overlooking the water. Fish so fresh and clean tasting, you can't believe it. On one trip, we had someone along who "didn't like fish" but was persuaded to order scallops and LOVED them.

The last time I was on the Meat Cove road (dirt) it was rainy and that made things a little exciting here and there.

Pencil in August 17 for this rolling rally!

The most commonly seen marine mammals are the pilot whales, minke whales and harbour seal. Humpback whales and grey seals occasionally are seen. Three-quarters of Nova Scotia's breeding population of bald eagles occur on Cape Breton Island.

Cape Breton Highlands National Park

CapeBreton01.jpg

Meat Cove

Meat Cove got its name from the abundance of game in the area back in the early 19th century. The community is still abundant in moose and draws in a number of hunters each year in the licensed hunt. It is also a haven for nature lovers and those who seek to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Meat Cove is known for its rare orchids and unique geographical features.
LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, this looks like a hell of a ride. Nice Job digging this up. You have just given me another dream ride to accomplish.

I grew up in Saratoga Springs, NY, but I haven't been to Nova Scotia since I was a kid.

FYI, I recall Fall like weather as early as mid August up there. Bring some warm gear.

O'Canada

Click Here

CanadianFlag.jpg

This new International rolling rally, the Salty Fog Rally will be held in Canada roughly August 17 - 19. Those attending this year will become members in the oldest Social Club in North America.

Champlain_770.jpg

Proposed by Samuel de Champlain in the winter of 1606-07, this social club provided good food and good times for the men at the French colony of Port-Royal, known today as the Habitation. They hoped to improve their health and morale during the long winter.

Although the Order of Good Cheer was a great success, it was active only one winter. Two first-hand accounts describe the activities: Champlain wrote briefly on the Order while Marc Lescarbot, a lawyer who spent that winter at Port-Royal, provides more detail.

Every few days, supper became a feast. On a rotating basis, everyone at the table was designated "Chief Steward." Marc Lescarbot reports:

This person had the duty of taking care that all around the table were well and honourably provided for. This was so well carried out that, though the epicures of Paris often tell us that we had no Rue aux Ours (this street, still in existence in Paris, was the street of the rotisseurs, or sellers of cooked meat). Over there, as a rule we made as good cheer as we could have in this same Rue aux Ours and at less cost. For there was no one who, two days before his turn came, failed to go hunting or fishing, and to bring back some delicacy in addition to our ordinary fare. So well was this carried out that never at breakfast did we lack some savoury meat of flesh or fish, and still less at our midday or evening meals; for that was our chief banquet, at which the ruler of the feast or chief butler, whom the savages called Atoctegic, having had everything prepared by the cook, marched in, napkin on shoulder, badge of office in hand, and around his neck the collar of the Order, ... after him all the members of the Order, carrying each a dish. The same was repeated at dessert, though not always with so much pomp. And at night, before giving thanks to God, he handed over to his successor in the charge the collar of the Order, with a cup of wine, and they drank to each other.

The men of the Order were those who dined together at Poutrincourt's table. They would have been key figures and/or at least congenial types with whom Sieur de Poutrincourt would care to dine. Thus the members of the Order of Good Cheer were likely prominent men in the colony. Membertou and Messamoet, Mi'kmaq chiefs in the area, were frequent guests.

Adding to the atmosphere and the air of festivity, Lescarbot writes, "we always had twenty or thirty savages, men, women, girls, and children, who looked on at our manner of service. Bread was given them gratis (free) as one would do to the poor."

The rally will encamp at Larry's River and will tour the Cape Breton Highlands. There will be a campfire at night. Other details are being worked out.

For those that participate this year the Province of Nova Scotia will issue a certificate of membership in the Order of Good Times with your name imprinted. They certainly do things first class in Canada. Certificates will be presented at a "feast" held at "Poutrincourt's Table" which this year will be at Larry's River.

If you think you might attend leave your name here or PM me. Many more details to follow after the National Rally.

Touringo will be the Canadian Host

Good_Times.jpg

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
... more information coming on this first little Nova Scotia gathering to be initiated on August 16th. For now, a possible logo (many thanks to Veg for the pic!) for this gathering :dunno . Comments? -Bob

Attachments

• saltyfogrally 2JPG.JPG
    saltyfogrally 2JPG.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 217
Back