• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CPAP & Bike Travel

tgf429

Plasterman
How many CPAP users will be at the Rally? Any pointers on traveling with your CPAP for a Nubee? Packing, cord lengths etc... would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom

Not a CPAP user myself, but my experience I have seen more and more users at Rallys. There is an area with electricity set aside, and this is an issue teh Rally folks are aware of, as at least one Ambassador has made it a bit of a crusade to be sure power sites go to medical needs first. So I think you will be able to get your needs met if you make reasonable preparations.

There is a Wal Mart, and a couple Home Improvement stores within 5 miles of the rally, so if you end up short a few feet of cord and can't find a loaner you can probably buy whatever length you need. So bring maybe 25' of outdoor cord if it fits in your luggage.

I'll have some cord and a power strip for power tools (what fun is beer without a circular saw?) with me at the Rally and should be able to loan it out once set up ios done. Since I am bringing a truck and live 40 miles away I'll help where I can. You should be able to find me at Hospitality most days till 6:00ish. After that follow the sound of that circular saw...

Morgen
2007 HospCoChr

Hi Tom.

Send a PM to Sue Rihn-Manke to reserve a space with electricity. Most of the grounds don't have access and you'll definitely need it.

I agree that an extension cord seems like a really good idea. Those two considerations aside, no big deal.

I use a CPAP, and usually bring a 50' cord. I will have to find a multi-plug adapter if more outlets are needed. Sharing is good.

CPAP on R1150RT

Hello,
I'm 56 and have been a very happy CPAP user for only 7 months. I'm not camping so juice is not my problem. I took it to Americade, etc. for a week and it takes up way too much room, one whole sidecase with little room left. The other problem is taking distilled water, I usually take a little and buy a gallon at CVS.
How about the machine itself? I have developed a few tricks that have help me:
***I use pillows and not a nose cup.
***I have a fleece cover over my breathing hose to avoid condensation in the winter.
***I use twist ties to secure the hose to the headboard in 2 places to keep the hose from yanking on me during the night.
***I clean it once a week with vinegar, especially the hose and breathing parts and tank.

Any of these ideas help you?

Good luck!

Mark

[SNIP] it takes up way too much room, one whole sidecase with little room left. The other problem is taking distilled water, I usually take a little and buy a gallon at CVS. . . . . I clean it once a week with vinegar, especially the hose and breathing parts and tank.[/SNIP]

Hi Mark, and welcome aboard.

I leave the humidifier at home when I travel; it reduces the size about 35%. It's nice, but not necessary. RT cases are problematic for large, square items, that's for sure. I'm searching for the perfect case. The best I've found so far is a canvas doctor's bag from an army surplus store, but something slightly padded and rectangular in shape would be ideal.

I clean the water reservoir and mask with Ivory liquid soap once a week--not too harsh and kills bacteria. If I cleaned mine with vinegar, I'd dream about fish & chips and beer all night. . . .:drink

I travel like Randy does

Another option is to spend some coin on a battery operated CPAP. Several mfgs have CPAPs that will work off a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in. Do a Google on ÔÇ£CPAP battery operatedÔÇØ and you will find links to a variety of suppliers.

I also travel with a CPAP but I usually stay at hotels on the way rather than camp most of the time. Last time I camped with the CPAP I took a 100' extension cord just in case I couldn't reach the outlet. A 50' cord should be enough to use for your needs. I would recommend even more if you plan on camping on a multiple trip that you invest in a portable battery pack made by Respironics. I have attached a link from their website on their product.

http://global.respironics.com/UserGuides/Portable_Battery_Pack_English.pdf

It has enough adapters to run the CPAP on Battery power of many different types.

I am even interested in investing on one of these.

Larry Loyd
CPAP user for 11 years and still breathing:dance

Hi, Folks...

I'm a Registered Respiratory Therapist, and would be happy to help with any problems anyone has with their CPAP units. My cell # is (740) 363-1843. I should be there by Wed-also will be volunteering in First Aid.

Mike Herbert

CPAP and Bike Travel

I am glad to see this post as I never realized how many attendees actually bring a unit with them. For more than 10 years I have used a BiPap (close relative), not for sleep apnea but because my paralyzed diaphragm doesn't allow me to sleep flat without extra help for my lungs.

I used to have a large Respironics unit that definitely would not fit in a side case. I bought a rubberized waterproof "canoe bag" for the machine and firmly strapped it behind me. It worked. I now have a new and much smaller unit that would fit in a side case with room to spare. The down side is that a battery pack for mine is quite expensive.

My wife and I are traveling in the Chevy Full-Dresser and staying at motels so that is how that problem will be handled.

Since so many riders are now using CPAP and BiPAP machines I think it would be a great and informative topic for an Owners News article or perhaps a seminar topic for a future rally.

Battery

I recently bought a smaller cpap and battery pack from cpap.com. It works very well (also bought a passive humidifier, doesn't work well). Battery lasts about 12hrs on my pressure setting. I can charge it on the bike with an inverter but usally find a plug-in for a few hours to charge. That is what I'm planning to do at the rally. That way we can camp where we want and are not taking up space for those who don't have an option.

Since so many riders are now using CPAP and BiPAP machines I think it would be a great and informative topic for an Owners News article or perhaps a seminar topic for a future rally.

I recently sent an email to Vince and Mandy about the possibility of me writing an article on bike travel with a CPAP. They expressed an interest so I'm going to begin it when I return from this trip.

Anyone on this thread interested in being interviewed or offering any insights? Perhaps collaborating on the article? Please send me an email.

Thanks!

Thanks

Thanks for all the great info. I am hoping to get the surgery that the ENT said will eliminate my need for the CPAP. Those battery operated machines look great, wish I had the resorces to afford one. Will be taking mine to the rally, fits inside side case without problems and also have U-PAC bag (holds more than one could wish for) so space is not an issue for me. My first national rally, didn't know I could still get this exicited.

Tom

Cpap Wireless

Have been CPAP/BiPap user for years. Camp and travel all over world. Puritan Bennet (as suggestion) have products that are small, about size of medium sized hard cover webster dictionary. Their 420/450 series are 12v DC 1-3amp. I found a battery used for emergency lighting, small 12v 7.amp (works 10-12 hours dep. on setting). I use a 30 watt flexible solar panel connected to voltage regulator to charge battery during daylight, and back it up with small AC charger if need be on rainy days. Both take about 8-10 hours to charge. CPAP and hose and mask power cord fits in Eddie Bauer lunch bag. Battery, chargers, cords fits in a video camera bag. I have enclosed pictures of what I will be using at rally. Bipap Unit was covered under insurance, solar panel was $200. Battery, volt regulator, bag about $75. Hope this helps.

Miles

Attachments

• Mat exp.jpg
    Mat exp.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 65
Have been CPAP/BiPap user for years. Camp and travel all over world. Puritan Bennet (as suggestion) have products that are small, about size of medium sized hard cover webster dictionary. Their 420/450 series are 12v DC 1-3amp. I found a battery used for emergency lighting, small 12v 7.amp (works 10-12 hours dep. on setting). I use a 30 watt flexible solar panel connected to voltage regulator to charge battery during daylight, and back it up with small AC charger if need be on rainy days. . . . Miles

An impressive set-up and story. Sure would like to talk to you at the rally. Cool stuff.

Back