Thread: Waterproof overgloves

Waterproof overgloves

Suffering from CRS.

Recently saw ad for inexpensive ($12) light weight waterproof over gloves somewhere. Problem is the "somewhere".

I know AeroStich sells them but I don't want to spend that much.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

overgloves

Aerostich.

Seriously, over the years, I've tried:

Marmot Mountain Works ice climbing gloves
    mountain bike rain gloves
    dishwashing gloves over other gloves
    scuba gloves
    BMW Summer Rain gloves;

and none of them work.

I carry about 4 glove systems in my tank bag, and am looking at adding the new uninsulated Rev-it rain gloves (Whitehorse Gear) as back ups to my 'Stiches.

If you can hack wearing dishwashing gloves, these would be inexpensive.

Rinty
    Last edited by Rinty; 07-03-2007 at 05:24 AM. Reason: add a glove

My experience is similar and after speaking with a local shop about waterproof gloves he admitted that ALL of the gloves will fail if subjected to hours of rain. The difference between the brands is how long they last until they fail. I bought a pair of gloves from Olympia that were completely windproof and waterproof for the first couple of hours and then my hands were soaked. Gore-tex and other materials cannot hold up to their waterproof claims for long durations. The good news is that although my hands got wet and were a bit cold, the windproof aspect was unaffected and I survived... but in the end, I bought a pair of thin waterproof overgloves that will hopefully solve that problem. But who knows!

So my advice is to buy a set of gloves for fit and warmth but do not count on the waterproofness for any length of time. Good luck.
    Keith
    MOA# 124435
    2006 R1200RT
    2005 R1150RT (sold)
    1987 Hurricane 1000 (RIP)
    1985 Suzuki GS1150ES (Still alive in friends hands)
    1982 Honda CB750F (RIP)

USERNAME
    i wear dishwasher gloves, and while i'm a little sweaty in them, they keep me warm and keep the rain out. i find that i hate the cold more than the moisture.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    As a skier, climber, kayaker, mountaineer, hiker and rider, I can, without hesitation, confirm that there is no such thing as a waterproof glove.

A glove has so many stitches and seams, and is subject to so much stress and dirt, that no waterproofing (Scotchguard, Gore-Tex, etc.) will work for more than a short while. Eventually, dirt will clog Gore-Tex pores, water will leak through seams, and spray on products will wear off.

If keeping warm is the primary concern, and you don't mind wrinkled skin, get a pair of kayaking gloves. NRS (nrsweb.com) has a huge selection. REI is a good bet, too.

Kayak gloves and motorcycling have a common denominator - keeping hands warm and somewhat dry while maintaining dexterity, flexibility and grip. You can find kayaking gloves with pre-curved fingers, so that they naturally grip the handlebars. They come in different thicknesses, so you can pick a pair or two that will best fit your conditions. Some gloves specifically designed for white water kayaking have protection and armor built in.

Personally, I find that heated grips keep my hands warm enough even when wet, and once it stops raining, the grips and the slipstream will eventually dry the gloves out for me. But if you don't have/want heated grips, and you need to keep your hands on the bars in cold and/or wet conditions, kayak gloves are the way to go.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I wear natural tan gloves from Farm and Fleet. Deerskin or elk skin. They get wet, but just dry out overnight without getting my hands orange.
    Also Neet Stuff sells scuba gloves which a lot of riders wear in the rain. Some dealers carry them too.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

pgods

scuba anyone?

I carry 2 pairs ...my regular leather BMW riding gloves and my "rain" gloves. I went to a scuba store and bought a pair of Tilos Titanium cold water scuba gloves. They're basically reinforced neoprene. The Titanium series has full Kevlar coverage on the entire palm and fingers - thus reinforced. They are warm, but do get a little clammy. They do not, however, become soaked and take on a ridiculous amt of H2O weight.
    and ... they aren't very expensive.

Aleutian

Can't help with overgloves, I use the Aleutian Neoprene hunt and fish.
    These things are great for cold AND rain.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...PRODUCTS%2EASP
    Sig? What's a Sig?

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

Found this posted on another forum:

$12 Nylon over mits, windproof, waterproof

Can't change XM channels with them!
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Quote Originally Posted by sjbmw View Post
    Can't change XM channels with them!
    NO PROBLEM Don't ride with XM.

RK Ryder
    Hi Bud !

Cycleport shipped me a pair for about $ 12.00. They kept my hands dry last April.

http://www.motoport.com/search_resul...lAction=Page+2

See you in Wisconsin.

Paul
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Hi Bud !

Cycleport shipped me a pair for about $ 12.00. They kept my hands dry last April.

http://www.motoport.com/search_resul...lAction=Page+2

See you in Wisconsin.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you in WI. When will you be getting in?

Regards,

Bud

RK Ryder
    I plan on leaving on Saturday and arriving either Monday morning or afternoon. I haven't charted the course yet but I think that I will travel north through Michigan and then south through Wisconsin.

Looking forward to the rally.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

I've had good results with nitrile examination gloves UNDER motorcycle gloves. Also if it's the warmer part of the year, I just wear mesh gloves. Sure they let the water right in right away, but if you keep riding they only take about 30-50 minutes to dry out nicely.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/