• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K 75 maintanace in Central Florida?

Gil

I cried out for help some time ago. No big deal so far. This post is only to get attention and perhaps an education in K75 maintanace. Here is the deal. If you are in Orlando or within an hour or so of the area and will be performing any required maintanace on your early K bike, I would politely beg to be a fly on the wall or even an assistance (I would even wash your bike after the work is done) so that I can learn by watching any work performed. The one item which calls for my immediate attention is the spline lubrication. I have heard many here describe and give full detailed information on how to do it. I still would be extremely scared to do the job the first time without having any kind of experiance.
So here is my cry for help. Perhaps cry is a bit dramatic. I would also like to meet other K75-K100 bike owners in Orlando and the greater Orlando area. This 1988 K75 is such a sweet ride, I would like to learn to maintain it for the many years to come.

Regards,

Gil

Did you join your local club? This is an excellent way to meet like-minded folks in your area.

You know, I am always impressed with you, JDiaz. You reply to many of my cries for help as well as to many cries for help from many members here. If it was up to me, I would be treating you to a "cold one" weekly. Thanks for your support.
On the topic in hand, I have to admit, I have not considered joining the club and since your reccomendation, I come to the conclussion of "why not?'
So, where do I sign up and find out about the club? I hope the club is independant to the BMW dealer.
Thanks JDiaz!
BTW, Diaz is a hispanic name, much like mine. What's your heritage? I am the only hispanic that I know with a "thing" for BMW Bikes in Orlando.

Highest Regards!

Gil

Alternate source

Gil,
If you have trouble finding a local club or interested parties, you will find a wealth of information on the ibmwr site and list therein. Several of the people post both here and there. I was in your situation and had the bike completely apart when I had several questions, all of which were answered within 1 hour or so.

Some of the presidents will seem short with you if you're just asking a general non specific question. But as mentioned before if you hit a point where you are unsure after following one of their guidelines, you'll get more information than you need. The names you need to know are Eilenburger, Cutter, Diaz, and Curry. I've never met any of them but have used a lot of their knowledge.

Keep looking for that partner because they will come in handy of you are pulling the transmission.

I have stopped at the ibmwr site. Some of the terms are a little out there for me to understand. I have one of those learning capabilities where I do great by watching and lerning than by following print instructions.
So far, this is what i need to do to the bike.
1-Spline lube- A priority.
2-Oil seal in the pump. I get a couple of drops of oil when I park. So far, the advice is to just run the bike and check the oil level. Not a harmful defect for this bike.
3-Valve job- The previous owner told me that it's been 9,000 miles since the last valve check. he alos added that it may not need it and it's a rare maintanance job.
4-The forks have a slight leak. the previuos owner had the repaired and it did not solve the issue. he also advised me to simply check the level three times a year.
5-And last, oil, filter and possibly, a fuel injector service, which may be a waste of time.

I still ride the bike. About once or twice a week. I simply check the oil level and ride very conservatively. The bike rides AWESOME. In simply terms, and amazing great bike and I am in my K75 Hoenymoon!
(I still ride my 1975 R90 once a week or so)

Regards to all!

Gil

So, where do I sign up and find out about the club? I hope the club is independant to the BMW dealer.
Gil, if you use the chartered club link on the MOA homepage and enter Florida as your state, you'll see a couple of clubs with Orlando addresses. Most clubs (if not all) are independent of the BMW dealer. Some clubs, like my local one in Chicago, were formed specifically to work around the dealer. :laugh

http://www.bmwmoa.org/about/clubs/clubs.htm

BTW, Diaz is a hispanic name, much like mine. What's your heritage? I am the only hispanic that I know with a "thing" for BMW Bikes in Orlando.

My father's family is from northern Chile, and they moved to northern Minnesota in 1955. We had some family in south Florida (around Plantation) for many years, but they have since moved back to the mid-south region.

Great advice JDiaz, and thanks for the follow up message about your heritage. My great grandparents moved to Puerto Rico from Mayorca, Spain and my dad married a cheesehead! I am as mixed as geneticaly possible.
Perhaps in my busines travels I would be close to Illinois and deliver the promissed and deserving "Cold One".
Kind regards,

Gil Hidalgo

I sent an e-mail to the contact information from Central Florida Beeline Beemers and have not heard back. I would like to know if this club is still active. Can anybody confirm?

Regards,

Gil

Still waiting for something to happen!

So, this is what I propose, I am planning on doing some maintanance on on my K75 and possibly a couple of slight twists of the wrench on my R90. The main focus will be my K75. I am hoping to do this relatively soon. Next couple of week ends. Anybody that stops by just for a quick hello and perhaps share somne advice and tips or simply shows support (or makes fun of me and the mess I make) will receive a copy of the K75 service video. All of this hoping to meet and greet other K75 and K100 loyal owners and perhaps tap into their brain.
I have waited for some time hoping somebody would have a tech day. If so, I would bring enough sevice DVD's for all.

Depending on replies, I would finilaze additional palns.

Looking forward to any replies!
Gil

K75 Manuals

Gil, do you have the Clymer or Haynes manuals for your bike? They are great reading and informative in many ways. Photos often don't do justice but you can't help but learn things as you spend some time paging through. My first K75 went for 113+K with basic oil, filter, tire changes and brake pads. All simple procedures. I did have the steering head bearings done at the dealer per advice I was given. One procedure you do want to keep on top of is the rear splines which can easily be serviced when you change the rear tire. Honda 60 moly lube is the preferred lube for this. A small tube from any Honda dealer will last a long time. My 2nd K75 is a different story. I bought it used and have had to replace the alternator, quite a few little minor items along the way. The lube in the rear splines on this bike was completly dried out and "dusty" until I changed that tire and did that routine service. Without ABS annual or simi annual brake fluid changes are easy on that bike as well. Good luck with you wrenching and remember to add a few tools along the way as they make life a lot easier when you have more than a 10mm wrench.

Mike Hankinson Hudsonville Michigan

Gil, do you have the Clymer or Haynes manuals for your bike? They are great reading and informative in many ways. Photos often don't do justice but you can't help but learn things as you spend some time paging through. Mike Hankinson Hudsonville Michigan

True. Clymer books are the best alternative to good personal advice. I do have a Clymer for both bikes and even the DVd for K75 maintanance, but I am one of thiose peopel who learns better by watching and doing than bt=y reading and second guessingg if my interpretation was right. Besides, there is no official document or video on Spline lubrication.
I am still hopeful of a tech day and the many benefits I would learn from this event. I am also looking forward to the winter rally in Mid/North Floria, close to Ocala.

Regards,

Gil

...... I simply check the oil level and ride very conservatively. The bike rides AWESOME. In simply terms, and amazing great bike and I am in my K75 Hoenymoon!
(I still ride my 1975 R90 once a week or so)

Regards to all!

Gil

That "Honeymoon" will extend to a wonderfull relationship. My K75 is a hard working "little horse". Ride 76 miles a day commuting (weather permitting...no snow:uhoh ).:wow

Last edited:
Back