• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 Rally Camping Questions

calnalu

Off shore and glassy
Spokane will be my first Rally (woo hoo!) and I have a few questions about camping:

1. Can you reserve camping spaces ahead of time or is it first come, first served?

2. Do most campers do their own cooking? If so, does the rally site camping area have water access and are their grocery stores nearby?

3. Shower facilities on site?

4. Finally, how noisy is it really in the camping areas? I like to stay up late and party but need some sleep sometime.

Thanks!

Calnalu said:
Spokane will be my first Rally (woo hoo!) and I have a few questions about camping:
Oh Boy, a Rally Virgin!
1. Can you reserve camping spaces ahead of time or is it first come, first served?
Nope, first come,first served. A good recommendation is to volunteer to help @the Rally--you can get in a day early!
2. Do most campers do their own cooking? If so, does the rally site camping area have water access and are their grocery stores nearby?
Can cook, but most eat at the vendors on site
3. Shower facilities on site?
Yeah, usually the question is hot or cold.
4. Finally, how noisy is it really in the camping areas? I like to stay up late and party but need some sleep sometime.
There is quiet camping and not-so-quiet camping. You sound like you should plan to camp in the not-so-quiet area (I'll see you there)

Paul and I usually camp in the quiet area - and then hang out in the party area ; ) Then when it's sleep time it's quiet.

Oh, and don't forget your ear plugs . . .

Voni
sMiling

Re: Re: '04 Rally Camping Questions

There is quiet camping and not-so-quiet camping. You sound like you should plan to camp in the not-so-quiet area (I'll see you there)

One thing to consider - The "quiet" area tends to have a lot of early risers that don't consider it a quiet area after sunrise. I like a no screaming/no music area to sleep that stays quiet until 8 AM. If you like to sleep late you might be better off sleeping with those who stay up late, partying.

MarkF

Mark wrote:
One thing to consider - The "quiet" area tends to have a lot of early risers that don't consider it a quiet area after sunrise. I like a no screaming/no music area to sleep that stays quiet until 8 AM. If you like to sleep late you might be better off sleeping with those who stay up late, partying.

You sleep at rallies?

Voni
sMiling

RV camping/parking

I see that several sites have been posted for RV parks near the fairgrounds, I was under the impression that RV's would be allowed on site. Is this not true? If RV's are allowed on site I'm pumped, if they are not I need to start finding a place to put it as they will probably fill up fast.

There's usually a spot for RVs at nationals.

If you poke around the main MOA page, you should be able to find the list of rally chairs and see who the RV coordinator is.

Re: RV camping/parking

swaanimal said:
I see that several sites have been posted for RV parks near the fairgrounds, I was under the impression that RV's would be allowed on site. Is this not true? If RV's are allowed on site I'm pumped, if they are not I need to start finding a place to put it as they will probably fill up fast.

The rally site has it's own RV park which can accomodate about 200 RV's in various forms of hook-ups from full to none. Carol Anger will be in charge of the RV reservations and you will begin to see information on how to reserve your spot soon.

We added the other site information for those who may choose to come earlier or stay later than the rally dates.

how fast to the campsites fill up?

I am planning on getting to the rally on the late morning/early afternoon of the 15th. Will I still be able to get a camping site at the rally? Typically how crowded do the campsites get? I know it'll be full, but I dont really want to camp 3ft away from another tent.

Thanks,
Tarren shaw

They pack em in pretty tight- but more like 6 to 10 feet apart would be average.

Terren,

Generally what happens is that the spots under trees go first. The area near (but not too close) to the beer garden, showers etc fill up as well as any shaded areas. Camping can be "intimate" in the "prime" areas.. The rally site is large enough that if you want to get away a little you should be able to find a nice spot.

What I think is the slick setup is to bring your own shade and make your own site primo. Visian demonstrates how with minimal effort you can turn just about anyplace into a great campsite.

While it may look like he has a ton of stuff to carry you don't need to ride a GS to camp in such splendor. His picture convinced me that it is time to upgrade.

I think one of these shelters is in my future. It weighs in at under five pounds with adjustable poles
which you can easily save by replacing heavy blue jeans with convertable pants.

FWIW, REI site used for the pictures only; when ready to buy agressive shopping can yield big savings on this type of gear.

See you in Spokane!

Best,

re: The MOSS ParaWing

Rob Nye said:
Terren,

What I think is the slick setup is to bring your own shade and make your own site primo. Visian demonstrates how with minimal effort you can turn just about anyplace into a great campsite.

While it may look like he has a ton of stuff to carry you don't need to ride a GS to camp in such splendor. His picture convinced me that it is time to upgrade.

Rob, old buddy, you won't go wrong if you purchase a MOSS 'ParaWing' from Mountain Safety Research (MSR). I've used my 'Wing for several years now and "wouldn't leave home without it!"

The price shown at the MSR site is a bit steep ($200.00) but it sure is nice to have your tent, table, Kermit chair AND your beloved Beemer all safely tucked under the 'Wing out of the hot sun or when the rain hits at a rally. I have a picture of my set-up at the 2002 Trenton rally but I'm afraid to post it here 'cuz my camp area was a "mess" when I took the photo. Not quite as clean and well-groomed as was Visian in his excellent photograph posted above.

I purchased my 'Wing from a dealer in Vancouver and didn't pay anywhere near the MSRP shown on the MSR site. Maybe you can get a better deal from one of their sellers. I don't think MSR sells direct.

There are SIX poles for the 19' ParaWing. Max length of each pole is 34" so it makes for a bit of configuring to get the carry bag attached somewhere on your motorcycle. Sure worth it when you get to the rally and get all set up though!

MOSS Tents used to make a smaller 12' ParaWing but I'm not sure if it's offered anymore. Maybe MSR can assist you with finding one.

Kelty also have a very nice 'Sun Shade' available (listed under "Shelters")...and I think I've actually seen more of the Kelty design at rallies than the MOSS ParaWing. I'm not sure of the price differential 'tween Kelty and MOSS.

The Kelty 'Noah's Tarp' (12' X 12') you showed appears (ahem::: :uhoh) somewhat less...robust...than MY Parawing! :lol Big difference in price, though.

Happy Camping! :wave

Last edited:
Slash,

Thank you very much for the tips and the link.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for (to a point) and this looks like a quality shelter. I have been lusting for a Moss tent for years and recently got a great deal on a barely used MSR (MSR bought Moss a few years ago) Phantom.

When I first started MC camping I carried way too much stuff. Over time I started getting into the belief that light is right and invested in stuff made of titanium, carbon etc to try to keep the weight down. It looks like the weight is slowly starting to creep up again as I redefine what I want my campsite to be. Figure packed weight of the tent and the wing to be close to 20 lbs, add in the Kermit chair, MP3 player and speakers, stove, fuel, sleeping bag, thermarest and some cooking bits and I would guess I am close to 35 - 40lbs before any clothes.

This may be the makings of a thread hi-jack but I am curious as to what items people consider essential and how much all this stuff weighs. What would be really cool is to have a portable scale at the rally. I would love to weigh my bike both loaded for touring and ready for a day ride. I bet the loaded figure would be more than one would expect.

Thanks again for the info on the wing.

Best,

Rob Nye

re: MOSS tents and shelters

Rob Nye said:
Slash,

Thank you very much for the tips and the link.

...I have been lusting for a Moss tent for years and recently got a great deal on a barely used MSR (MSR bought Moss a few years ago) Phantom.

...Figure packed weight of the tent and the wing to be close to 20 lbs, add in the Kermit chair, MP3 player and speakers, stove, fuel, sleeping bag, thermarest and some cooking bits and I would guess I am close to 35 - 40lbs before any clothes.

Thanks again for the info on the wing.

Best,

Rob Nye
Hi, Rob!

I've never had a problem with my 19' ParaWing. The fabric is quite a bit thicker than regular tent material and the rain just bounces off - no need to apply any kind of rain goo!

My main tent is an indestructible MOSS 'Eave' which I've been using since 1986. Unfortunately, the 'Eave' is no longer in production. If/when my 'Eave' fails and is retired, my first option is to purchase another fine MOSS tent. Beaucoup bucks - to be sure - but worth every penny during a heavy downpour!

Based on my experiences with the MOSS 'Eave', I made a point of checking out the MOSS 19' ParaWing at a great little camping store in Missoula during the '98 National in Montana. I was a believer after 5 minutes of looking at the 'Wing and purchased my own unit at a Vancouver store several weeks later.

That "packaged weight" of 8 lbs 6 oz, shown on the MSR website is about right as I put everything on a scale here at the house this morning. I'm not sure where that "packaged size" of 6" X 28" comes from as my six 5-year old 'Wing poles are definitely 34" long.

Your "haulage" stuff is the same as mine except for the MP3 player and speakers. I usually carry a portable shortwave radio (w/AM and FM) to see what I can pick up locally on the airwaves. Interesting reception sometimes! I always carry my stove and utensils for hot coffee and daily soup with fixings. My stove is an original MSR mountain-type and it has served me well for at least 15 years. If you can't be comfortable at your own rally campsite, why bother going in the frist place, eh?

I see your MSR "Phantom" tent on the website. Nice-looking tent! Do you know if MSR (based in Seattle) kept the original MOSS factory in Camden, Maine open or has it been closed and operations moved to the West coast?

Yeah! Why don't you start a new thread on the "haulage" we all carry on our Beemers?? I've seen people show up at a rally with only two panniers and a top box visible on their bikes. An hour later, there's a large tent, a big Thermarest, a sleeping bag, a small table, kitchen utensils, a food box, the omnipresent Kermit chair and a couple of 6-packs all set up and ready to go! Where the hell did all of this 'stuff' come from? The thread should make for some interesting replies and stories.

You're welcome on the 'Wing info.

Back