Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Leather Butt Pads

I had a chance to try mine today. Rode from San Antonio to Corpus Christi, and because of the added height, my back was sore on the first leg of the trip. On the way back, I rode with just the stock seat and the pain went away. Maybe I'll just keep it for a passenger to use. It didn't help me at all.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

Don't wear jeans while riding in the heat, they absorb moisture (sweat) and cause irritation. If you choose to wear underwear, go for a style other than briefs. The seams will get to you after awhile, usually rubbing right where the edge of the seat and your thigh contact each other. The sheep skin pads are a good thing, but not a great thing. They add minimal cushioning, but do allow for some air to circulate beneath your derriere. The sheep fleece is like a bunch of small wiry springs and it's the springy-ness of the fleece which keeps you comfy and allows for some air movement. A product like the Airhawk will do the trick to keep you comfortable for miles. Air doesn't conduct vibration, everything else out there does. Also gel pads and other seat enhancements which are made of some rubbery material will work for awhile, but your rear will eventually succumb to numbness and pain as they compress and lose their effectiveness. I continue to use sheep skins, and have access to a local farmer who can't give his sheep skins away, so I get mine cheap. No, I neither have Velcro gloves nor rubber boots.

Woodgrain

REBECCAV
    What do you want the buttpad to do?? I tried a sheepskin buttpad and it was very comfortable, butt I gotta have some airflow down there or I get a (forgive the overshare please) rash.

I love my BeadRider seat AND the company is owned by a BMW rider!! All standard disclaimers (No affiliation, YMMV, etc.) apply - just a happy customer.

http://www.beadrider.com/

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post
    What do you want the buttpad to do?? I tried a sheepskin buttpad and it was very comfortable, butt I gotta have some airflow down there or I get a (forgive the overshare please) rash.

I love my BeadRider seat AND the company is owned by a BMW rider!! All standard disclaimers (No affiliation, YMMV, etc.) apply - just a happy customer.

I got like 1k buttburner replies.....

I like my Alaska Leather seat pad. I have a 04 1150RT with the comfort seat and I am quite comfy with the sheepskin. I am kind of scrawny with a bony rump and the beaded seats felt like I was sitting on a sack of marbles. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    An earlier review by Tessler

No wonder. That's not an Alaska butt pad, looks more like a Dairyland butt pad and you know how cows smell.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I almost always love my stock BMW seats - with an Alaska Leather buttpad. It really does make all the difference!

Voni
    sMiling for over 800K
    I've been riding BMWs since...a long time ago...all on stock seats with no pads or marble mats. I don't think any of them thar seats were worse or better than any other...except the '78 R100RS came with a first aid box under the front end of the seat. That one was a bit short on padding for about 93K miles. I think riding in the somewhat sport position, that is with short bars leaning slightly forward, you don't sit on your butt. Butt (borrowing from BG here) rather, you set on your thighs more and your butt is a bit out in the breeze. Lean on the tankbag a bit. Very comfy and feel one with the bike rather than wobbling around like an upright stick.
    So there.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

jld2872

Ditto on the Beadrider, Boxergrrlie--I like mine alot!

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    No wonder. That's not an Alaska butt pad, looks more like a Dairyland butt pad and you know how cows smell.
    So I guess if you use the Dairyland butt pad you get a stinky Dairy Air???

dlearl476

I bought one from Whitehorse Press that is either a beadrider, or identical. I think it's tops, for my bottom.

So I guess if you use the Dairyland butt pad you get a stinky Dairy Air???

Good one

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Good one
    Yeah, I was thinking that too.

And I was wondering if these beads are kind of like getting a massage as you ride. That might be a good thing as well as the air thing.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I've been through several things in this department. On my K100 I tried an AirHawk. $187 For a mild improvement (BTW I now work in healthcare and I'e seen similar products (sometimes form the same manufacturer) in healthcare catalogs for a fraction of the price).
    Then I got The BatBike, an R100R- and I'll go up against anybody who says that their stock BMW seat is worse than the R100R seat! The AirHawk actually made the R seat worse, due to the very poorly-designed 'scoop' of the seat.
    The seat was so bad that I sent it to Rick Mayer. The result is mostly pretty good, but not for long rides because I've figured out that my legs and torso are just too long for the bike's ergonomics.
    So then I tried to improve things a little more with the Alaska Leather Buttpad. It was OK, but *just* OK. The added height (something I really need with this bike) was barely noticeable, altough the general comfy feel was pretty nice. One gripe is that it has only a single strap to secure the pad- not good for the seat of the R100R/Mystic/87-95 GS, which has a forward protrusion that goes up onto the tank. Whenever I stood on the pegs, the front tip of the pad would blow back over the rest of the pad. Most annoying. One great thing I can say for the pad though- it takes a good soaking with aplomb, as I learned in the hard rains leftover from Hurricane Dennis on the way to Lima. At one point while I was putting on the rain-suit, the pad took enough water that I could barely make out the fuzzy surface. DANG. But after being placed in the output-flow of a hotel air-conditioner overnight, it was just fine. But I would soon conclude that the sheepskin wasn't very helpful in hot/humid conditions.
    Now I've got the BeadRider- and I want to know where people get the $10 ones!!! This is the best improvement I've used yet, and the airflow through the beads makes a real difference down here is sauna-esque TexSux. Also with the problem with the shape of the seat, with the BeadRider the fix was simple with a black mini-bungee hooked between a couple of beads on each side and run under the tip of the seat. Great product and I would definitely buy it again!
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

ggfossen
    Anyone ever try any other kind of hide? I have a couple of goat skins, and Caribou hide that are doing no good. The last is a lot like cow hide. The hair isn't kinky as a sheep, but it's heavy hair????

Gary

I forgot to mention, IKEA sells sheepskin as throws for cheep ($20 for one big enough to cover most motorcycle bench- type seats). They're white, but if sheepskin is your thing, you can get one of these and cut it to whatever shape you want.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/