Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Leather Butt Pads

perobins

Alaska Leather Butt Pads

Anyone use this butt pad? Please let me know how it performs and if it is worth purchasing. Looking to purchase the deluxe short hair version.
    Leaving for a 6000 km trip in July.

Thanks, Phil
    2007 R1200GS

It's awesome. Comfortable in the hot months and warm in the cold ones. Pops on and off in seconds.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    An earlier review by Tessler

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    An earlier review by Tessler
    Indeed; lessons learned! (try to stay away from friends' freshly used Alaska Pads, locked in Jesse boxes under a hot summer sun!)

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Damn good thing we got our Airheads at the Aerodrome wine in bottles. Imagine the effect of that Butt pad on a leather bottle

6. 06-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Alaska pads

I like mine.

belquar
    I have one on my GS. Had one on my CLC too. Better than nothing. Don't spend extra money on the deluxe. Best if you can find where they are at and feel them for yourself and get the thickest one. Some of the "cheaper" ones are better than the deluxe. Per the vendor at the Lima Rally couple of years ago.

Great reviews on the GEL but pads. I am getting one of those next.

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    I picked one at the Charleston,WV rally a few years ago. Made a real difference in comfort. I purchased a "second quality" from them, but there is no real difference. It was black, has now faded to a brown/black, but its still going strong. I remove it in the rain, and its never been washed. Pciked up a passenger pad last year for the wife.

Brian

If you frost a turd it's still a turd. A leather seat pad will help improve any seat but it will make a small improvement.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Has anyone tried the wooden beads?

Rally Rat
    perobins,

I do just fine on my Sargent seat and would recommend Sargent to anybody. My husband uses his stock seat with an Alaska pad on his Dakar and loves it. Be sure to consider Greenwald's offer above, sounds like a deal.

Sarah

I almost always love my stock BMW seats - with an Alaska Leather buttpad. It really does make all the difference!

Voni
    sMiling for over 800K
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

the R1100R has the seat from hell for me. My solution was beads topped by a gel pad. makes all day rides possible, although I still need plenty of stop and stretch breaks. When I save up I might spring for a custom seat but I'm going to have to try one before I shell out those kind of bucks. The saddle on my bike was/is the only real disappointing thing about the bike, otherwise I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Has anyone tried the wooden beads?

I have the wooden beads on my Triumph Tiger. It was purchased for about $10 at a GoldWing rally in the mid-90s and makes the Tiger's seat more comfortable. The beads add firmness that I like and also allows some air flow to keep things cooled off.

One tip that I got from a fellow at an Airhead gathering a while back (he had the wood beads on his GS) - take some 3mm parachute cord (available from army surplus stores) and run it around the outside of the seat, thru the beads. The heavier cord will help the beads stay together in the event that the "fishing" line holding the beads breaks.

Stuff2c
    I NEVER leave home without mine!