• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150RT-must have accessories

dunc1129

Riding bikes, flying jets
New to the board and the BMW world, have an 03 1150RT. What do you feel are must have accessories for this bike or what have you put on to increase your riding enjoyment?

Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to the board!!:clap
This board has many riders of all walks of life and riding experience so I hope you enjoy yourself.;)
As to putting additional things on your bike I think you will find most guys, including myself, have added anything from extra lights to GPS, bigger windshields, throttlemeister "cruise control", tankbags, topcases etc, on their bikes. It all depends also what you plan on doing as far as riding is concerned, i.e long distance vs commuting on a daily basis will put the addition of a GPS on the backburner somewhat and make a bigger windshield more important (maybe).:dunno. So you have to figure out what it is your plans are for the bike and go from there.
Hope this helped you a little bit. :idea

Welcome to the board, and I hope you dont find the moderators too heavy handed. :D I would say adding lights to the RT would take the money out of my wallet first. Then if you dont have them, cylinder guards would be a definate consideration, they are way way cheaper than new valve covers. Some folks hate tank bags, but I really like the convienence of a tank bag. It holds my fluids for drinking, my autocomm intercom, my tunes, faceshield cleaner, smokes, maps, wallet, camera, house keys, ball cap for off the bike, a small maglight flashlight, a leatherman, sometimes snacks or small items I pick up when I am out riding. A backrest or topcase for the passenger is nice for linger rides/tours. They dont have handlebars to hold onto, and will tire quickly without any support for the back. Gps, tunes, etc are things you can decide on as you ride more. The larger windshield rider spoke of is a really nice addition. Hope this helps. My "cruise control" is about 100.00 cheaper than a throttlemeister, it is an O-ring that I put between the bar end and the grip. It does the same thing, and I dont have to worry about it getting tightened accidentally since I take it off when I dont need it.

New Seat

The first thing I would do is replace the seat. I got a Sargent seat and can now ride for hours on end. Then top case, tank bag, GPS, RCU shelf... etc.

I would say wait until you have 1,000 miles on it and see what really irks you. After my ride to last year's rally it was a Throttlemeister and ELF Pegs.

The best thing you could probably ever buy for your bike is a better rider. :)

translation: spend money on riding schools - CLASS, whatever - instead of gadgets

Having said that...
1. storage:
1A. a tank bag is a good thing.
1B. helen2wheels bags

2. ear plugs - you do ride with ear plugs, yes? not a bike accessory per se, but it makes riding MUCH nicer.

3. comfy seat - self explanatory.

4. driving lights - it's nice to be able to see at night.

5. radar detector (my next purchase).

The best spent money on accessories is a headlight guard, and head protectors. You don't want to know how much a new headlight costs installed. The bike will assume it's natural position some day. Feel the smooth bottom side of the head protectors on a new bike at you dealership. Now go out and feel some used bikes and check for roughness. These two accessories I wouldn't leave the dealership without.

Next, don't buy a custom seat, borrow some and try them until you find one that is comfortable. Give that ugly Russell Day Long a chance. After that I would look into a top case or tank bag. If you carry a lot of stuff, and use the bike to commute the top case is secure, weather proof, doubles as back rest and holds a lot more than a tank bag. A tank bag isn't secure and doesn't hold as much. It gets filled up with things like a rain cover for the tank bag, shaving gear, medicine, implements of destruction, camping food, but it can make a pretty comfy pillow.

After market lights, the stock ones passed customs to enter the U.S.A. so they are adequate for the speed limits we travel. Always wondered if the Euro models had the same headlights. The RT's mirrors are low, and if you put a camping bag on the back seat you can't see over the bag. The handgrips are drilled for stalk mirrors, I think the GS/R mirror will mount with no modifications. Throttle lock, I'm going to try a Bob's wrist rest next time. Radio, the RT is too much fun to ride to need a radio.

JON

Welcome Dunc! What part of town are you in? I'm in east Dallas. I don't ride an RT though so I can't help you there but the other suggestions sound very good.

Welcome

Hey there - welcome to an enjoyable forum and to the enjoyable world of riding a BMW. I don't ride an RT, but wanted to say howdy. It is good to hear from you.
Post a picture of your bike at the appropriate spot if you have one.
Then you can tell us about yourself and your riding history in that thread if you want.

Welcome to MOAland, dunc.

There really are few "must have" accessories. Everything makes it a little better, but it's a pretty damn good bike right out of the crate. Enjoy your RT.

9292-M-1.jpg

All excellent additions. I would add Valentine 1 and XM radio.

RT Options

I've got a new '04 RT and drove it out with the basics...considering that I didn't have that much. I got the head guards, top case, and throttlemeister. Soon to get new seat, tank bag, and maybe GPS (in that order).:brow

Don't listen to these guys and forget everything you've heard about counter steering. Just get one of these nifty steering wheels that mount right to the center steering column shown here on my RT.

Attachments

• bmw-steering-wheel3.jpg
    bmw-steering-wheel3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,171
dunc1129 said:
New to the board and the BMW world, have an 03 1150RT. What do you feel are must have accessories for this bike or what have you put on to increase your riding enjoyment?

Miles, lots and lots of miles

RT RANDY said:
Don't listen to these guys and forget everything you've heard about counter steering. Just get one of these nifty steering wheels that mount right to the center steering column shown here on my RT.

:lol

Cruise Control

I'd love to find a real cruise control accessory - Not a ThrottleMeister (already have one of those), but a real cruise control that'll hold speed if the road happens to have dips and climbs ...

dunc1129 said:
...What do you feel are must have accessories for this bike or what have you put on to increase your riding enjoyment?

..the MUST have accessories for this bike.....to increase your riding enjoyment?.............

Why...... MILES.....of course!!:bliss

Back