• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon

dundee387

Has anyone rode from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon? My wife and I are visiting Vegas in August, and want to rent an RT for the trip.

Anyone have experience with BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas? Rental? Etc.?

Any advice, tips, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Grand Canyon

I rented in Sedona and went to GC south rim however we flew into LV and drove to Sedona. Not sure if your looking into going to the north rim or not.

For the south rim the drive from LV thru the Hoover Dam area is really nice. Take the Dam tour, they opened up the intake room, it was closed from 9/12/01 thru 5/2006. Hwy 93 is pretty flat the scenery is nice for sure. I-40 to Williams is also nice. There is a few nice places to eat in Williams, I like the pie place near the Rail Road station the best. Hwy 64 north is a scenic drive and when you get to hwy 180 there is an air museum there, also a flintstone village with shopping and ice cream. Not much from there to Tusayan about 2 miles from park entrance. Tusayan has hotels restaraunts an Imax and the GC airport.

The 2 day pass is 11 bucks I think for motorcycle. You absolutely have to ride 64 east to the Desert View. The parks west viewpoints you will have to park and take the shuttles from GC Village. Its worth it if you have the time, but going east there are about 7 view points that take your breath away. The Desert view is my favorite, you can look stright west thru the canyon as far as you can see. They also have a general store there along with the gift shops.

GC Village is nice to walk around, get a drink at the eltovar, check out the trains coming in from Williams. Thats about it. I rode there in june last year and the temps were in the 90s in lower elevations and around low 80's at the GC.

Be prepared for triple digit temps until you get well up in altitude around Williams. I'd recommend getting off the slabs and riding old Route 66, pick it up near Needles and follow it through Kingman, and Seligman before being forced onto I-40. Don't overlook Flagstaff for things to do, places to stay.

Back